A.J. Hawk

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Ok, Zoners...enlighten me. Is this guy being projected as a top 10 pick? I saw him play a couple of times this year and whoa...he is really freakin' good. Would love to snatch him in the draft. Do we have a chance? I know that sometimes guys who are projected to go early fall in the draft (Jason Witten comes to mind)...any chance of that with Hawk?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
none whatsoever. Top 5 pick if teams are smart.

hendog

Reaction score
Hawk will probably go top 10 at least. I doubt we have any chance at him. If he's there by some chance and we don't take him we'll regret it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yes, most Mocks have him going in the top 10 somewhere. I have seen either Green Bay taking him or New Orleans taking them at pick 4 and 5 respectiviely.

I still say pass because that would mean you decided not to take an Offensive Tackle which I am being told their are about 3-4 good ones.

- Mike G.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I think it's still too early to tell if he's guarenteed top 10. The combine will determine this, as it will for so many others.

He's listed at 6' now? Schools are somewhat notorious for not always being accurate w/ their players measurables. If he measures in at under 6' at Indy, then yeah, I can see him falling some. Not out of the first but, some teams may think that's a bit short for the position. Is this wise? Of course not, there have been plenty of smallish LBs that have succeeded, but some GMs just can't seem to get over a player's measurables.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
What ever happened to Andy Katzenmoyer, the big bruising middle linebacker from Ohio State?

conner01

Reaction score
hawk is a heck of a player, we won't have a shot but if we did i would take him in a heart beat. just get the best players and all will be alright. we need oline help but i would'nt take an olinemen that will be availible in the 20's over hawk

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
What ever happened to Andy Katzenmoyer, the big bruising middle linebacker from Ohio State?
MG, he had a very nice rookie season under Carroll in NE.. in fact I lost a bet to a Pats fan that he wouldn't get (think it was) 120 tackles.

When Mumbles showed up, it all went south. There were 'rumours' the kid lacked the gray matter to play for Bill B..that he couldn't 'get' the schemes, the niches, the assignments. Frankly, I think that nonsense all stemmed from his last year at OSU, when he was in danger of academic ineligibility and took some summer courses and got credit for the equivalent of basket weaving..after that he couldn't shed the unfair dummy label.

But what did him in was a neck injury, and similar to Dat's and Richie Anderson's, it was one that everyone but the player seemed to think was marginal. The kid was so distraught, so fearful of paralysis, that he went AWOL from camp.

Once again Mr Compassionate, finger on the pulse of his team
Mumbles expressed total astonishment. Where is he? How would I know? He says he's worried about paralysis? Huh? He's not here? :rolleyes:

What he did after his all too early retirement, I do not know. But the Ohio state sports alumnae site keeps pretty good tabs on former players. You may be able to fidn out there.

scottsp

Reaction score
Typically, middle or inside backers aren't taken as highly. Even truly good ones slide. In the last decade, only two players projected as interior LBs drafted in the top ten (Urlacher and James Farrior). Seems teams aren't willing to go as high on these guys anymore.

Heck, even the great Ray Lewis barely slid into round one.

There does seem to be some debate as to whether or not A.J. Hawk projects as an inside linebacker. His size and build suggests that's where he likely ends up.

I'm not here to suggest anything regarding Hawk or anyone else as they pertain to the draft or the Cowboys possibly drafting him. I'm merely stating that despite how good this kid is (and he is a load), it's not a foregone conclusion that he is off the board so early. Not to me anyway.

Players at the primo positions fly off the board before anything else. The truly blue chip quarterbacks, offensive tackles, corners, and defensive tackles certainly head the list. And yeah, this year a certain runner from SoCal will figure in very early on.

Hailmary

Reaction score
accordinding to Wikipedia, he's gone back to OSU to earn his bachelor's degree and serving as an asst. coach at some HS.

I hope he had some honest people handling his paychecks and signing bonus.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hailmary said:
accordinding to Wikipedia, he's gone back to OSU to earn his bachelor's degree and serving as an asst. coach at some HS.

I hope he had some honest people handling his paychecks and signing bonus.
Me too.

I feel for this kid....he drew a very short straw...hope he's successful as a coach if that's what he wants.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Any word on how Carpenter's rehab is going?

I think I would rather spend a lower rd pick on this guy rather than hoping to have Hawk fall to us in the 1st. I think he fits BP's physical requirements much better anyway.

scottsp

Reaction score
Katzenmoyer, man... that was one of the biggest LBs I had ever seen. An absolute physical monster. I wish things would have gone better for the kid.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
MG, he had a very nice rookie season under Carroll in NE.. in fact I lost a bet to a Pats fan that he wouldn't get (think it was) 120 tackles.

When Mumbles showed up, it all went south. There were 'rumours' the kid lacked the gray matter to play for Bill B..that he couldn't 'get' the schemes, the niches, the assignments. Frankly, I think that nonsense all stemmed from his last year at OSU, when he was in danger of academic ineligibility and took some summer courses and got credit for the equivalent of basket weaving..after that he couldn't shed the unfair dummy label.

But what did him in was a neck injury, and similar to Dat's and Richie Anderson's, it was one that everyone but the player seemed to think was marginal. The kid was so distraught, so fearful of paralysis, that he went AWOL from camp.

Once again Mr Compassionate, finger on the pulse of his team
Mumbles expressed total astonishment. Where is he? How would I know? He says he's worried about paralysis? Huh? He's not here? :rolleyes:

What he did after his all too early retirement, I do not know. But the Ohio state sports alumnae site keeps pretty good tabs on former players. You may be able to fidn out there.

Well, since I watched Andy play all those years at Ohio state, I had a bet with Ohio state Alum that he would be a flop in NFL. Sorry, but he seemed like a not too bright bulb. What I remember most about him was that, when asked about his favorite player was, he said Brian Bostworth. When asked why, he said because he liked the way he came out of the Tunnel!! :lmao2:

And then his production in College, from what I remember correct, fell down consistantly, leading upto senior or Junior year, when he came out, when he didn't have that great of season. The news was that the scheme changed a bit and he was asked to be more controlled instead of free lancing I think.

Anyway, Him and Ron Dayne were ones I thought would be busts. Ron Dayne seems to have found role as Backup RB with Denver, but thats a far cry from top pick with Giants.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
scottsp said:
Katzenmoyer, man... that was one of the biggest LBs I had ever seen. An absolute physical monster. I wish things would have gone better for the kid.

Yeah, well, he built like a football player indeed, but not too bright for sure, and probably a little bit of Jane, just like his idol Brian Bostworth.:)

Hailmary

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Yeah, well, he built like a football player indeed, but not too bright for sure, and probably a little bit of Jane, just like his idol Brian Bostworth.:)

Let's not forget that these are football players. They need not be card carrying members of MENSA to succeed. Just ask Julian Peterson. :D

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Frankly, I think that nonsense all stemmed from his last year at OSU, when he was in danger of academic ineligibility and took some summer courses and got credit for the equivalent of basket weaving..after that he couldn't shed the unfair dummy label.

The funny thing about that is I was watching OSU play when he was on their squad, and the annoucers said like his mom and his dad are both Doctors and it seemed like they were hinting that their brains skipped a generation cuz he sure didnt get them :D .

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
The funny thing about that is I was watching OSU play when he was on their squad, and the annoucers said like his mom and his dad are both Doctors and it seemed like they were hinting that their brains skipped a generation cuz he sure didnt get them :D .

Aint that the truth :lmao2:

jbsg02

Reaction score
Hawk won't fall out the top 10 and is probably the 2nd defensive player taken in the draft