A.J. Hawk

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hawk is a good player, but linebackers always fall.

Last year, Derrick Johnson was supposedly a "can't miss" top 10 pick (at least thats what the Texas homers told me ;) ). He dropped to 15.

LB heavy draft this year though, so he might go high due to lack of talent at other skilled positions.

I've been a Carpenter fan for awhile now. Its my opinion that if you can build a linebacker for the Cowboys defense, it'd be Bobby Carpenter. I'd definitely take a Hawk if he fell though. :D

Bobo

Reaction score
scottsp said:
Typically, middle or inside backers aren't taken as highly. Even truly good ones slide. In the last decade, only two players projected as interior LBs drafted in the top ten (Urlacher and James Farrior). Seems teams aren't willing to go as high on these guys anymore.

Heck, even the great Ray Lewis barely slid into round one.

There does seem to be some debate as to whether or not A.J. Hawk projects as an inside linebacker. His size and build suggests that's where he likely ends up.

I'm not here to suggest anything regarding Hawk or anyone else as they pertain to the draft or the Cowboys possibly drafting him. I'm merely stating that despite how good this kid is (and he is a load), it's not a foregone conclusion that he is off the board so early. Not to me anyway.

Players at the primo positions fly off the board before anything else. The truly blue chip quarterbacks, offensive tackles, corners, and defensive tackles certainly head the list. And yeah, this year a certain runner from SoCal will figure in very early on.

He's played great as an OLB, I don't understand why there's any talk that he should be a MLB. How does his size make him a better fit for a ILB? Speed is something you want on the outside, and he has that for sure.

I don't think he'll be on the board when Dallas picks, and I'm also interested is Capenter as an OLB. I still hope Burnett fills the other ILB position beside James.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
Just watching them in college, Hawk is obviously better than Johnson.

I am sure you'd get arguments from the Horns faithful. :D

scottsp

Reaction score
I was merely speaking on NFL draft trends. Draft grades are, in large part, determined by a number of measureables. Hawk's speed is more than adequate for an inside backer. He goes around 6'1" according to OSU's site. Because of that, I don't see an NFL club picking him early on to play outside. Typically, teams don't do that.

Like many of you, I love the way he plays...and that coming from Horn "faithful."

Bobo

Reaction score
scottsp said:
I was merely speaking on NFL draft trends. Draft grades are, in large part, determined by a number of measureables. Hawk's speed is more than adequate for an inside backer. He goes around 6'1" according to OSU's site. Because of that, I don't see an NFL club picking him early on to play outside. Typically, teams don't do that.

Is his speed not more than adequate for an OLB? True, LB's usually don't get picked early, but I don't see how him being 6-1 is going to steer teams away from putting him at OLB.

scottsp

Reaction score
Bobo said:
Is his speed not more than adequate for an OLB? True, LB's usually don't get picked early, but I don't see how him being 6-1 is going to steer teams away from putting him at OLB.

I don't pretend to know what NFL insiders know. It's just been my experience watching these things throughout the years that these types fall. Hawk would not be the best LB prospect to take a tumble.

As an OLB, if you're not at least 6'3" with long arms and other outstanding measureables, you don't get your name called quite as early. And again, I don't know that he projects as an outside backer unless it's for someone like Monte Kiffin.

Bobo

Reaction score
I realize he could fall based on measurables, that's true for just about any position. And LB's usually don't go very high. I haven't noticed any correletion between height and what position a LB plays. There certainly are many good OLB's shorter than 6-3 in the league. I don't know if Hawk translates to a 3-4 OLB. I'd guess he'd play inside here.

ghst187

Reaction score
Hawk should be our pick if he's still there and Santonio Holmes is gone. Carpenter is a good backup plan to Hawk but I think Hawk is the better player. It doesn't matter if Hawk plays ILB or OLB, he's a player. Carpenter is probably the more ideal ILB as I think he's bigger.
As for Hawk being on the board or not when we draft.....DJ was a far superior athlete to Hawk or Carpenter and DJ barely got drafted at 15. LB's, as a rule, fall on draft day. I suspect that Hawk and Carpenter's combine workouts will probably also disappoint some folks too. I suspect they won't have the "measurables" that a lot of folks look for...i.e. 40 speed, vertical leap, etc. I think there is a VERY real chance that Hawk is still on the board at 20. Its hard to use a top 10 draft pick on a LB, esp when OL, DBs, and other positions are harder to find.
Hawk would be a solid pick.

Bobo

Reaction score
I don't follow OU closely, but I was under the impression that Carpenter was more of a pass rusher than Hawk. If true, he'd probably be better suited at OLB in the 3-4. Seems the pre-draft hype about him anyway.

From what I've seen of DJ and Hawk, DJ is not a far superior athlete. Looks pretty close in that department, and Hawk looks like a tougher player. I wouldn't be shocked if Hawk fell to around where DJ was picked.

Hawk and Carpenter wouldn't possably be about to lay an egg at the combine because of their color, would they? Hawk ran something like a high 4.4 or low 4.5 in their Pro Day last year (guess he ran to get the scouts talking about him early).

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Bobo said:
I don't follow OU closely, but I was under the impression that Carpenter was more of a pass rusher than Hawk. If true, he'd probably be better suited at OLB in the 3-4. Seems the pre-draft hype about him anyway.

From what I've seen of DJ and Hawk, DJ is not a far superior athlete. Looks pretty close in that department, and Hawk looks like a tougher player. I wouldn't be shocked if Hawk fell to around where DJ was picked.

Hawk and Carpenter wouldn't possably be about to lay an egg at the combine because of their color, would they? Hawk ran something like a high 4.4 or low 4.5 in their Pro Day last year (guess he ran to get the scouts talking about him early).

Carpenter has actually lined up at DE at times. He is also pretty solid in coverage. No doubt Hawk is the better player, but I think there is a lot of buzz around here about Carpenter because of his ties to BP, the more likely possibility that he is there when Dallas picks and the fact that he is an ideal fit for a 3-4 SOLB (my opinion anyway :) )

Bobo

Reaction score
junk said:
Carpenter has actually lined up at DE at times. He is also pretty solid in coverage. No doubt Hawk is the better player, but I think there is a lot of buzz around here about Carpenter because of his ties to BP, the more likely possibility that he is there when Dallas picks and the fact that he is an ideal fit for a 3-4 SOLB (my opinion anyway :) )

Yeah I thought he had lined up at DE some. I'm liking the idea of Ware/Burnett/James/Carpenter :)

silver

Reaction score
reminds me of Brian Bozworth. ILB's are dime a dozen. Look at our guys: James, Shanle, Fowler. we hardly spent a 4th rounder on those 3 guys.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Carpenter is the prize - and will go high

My eyes day 2 early are on the 3rd LB who is the steal of the draft....

Schlegel is the real deal......

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ILB actually is a late 1 to round 2 pick....

Schlegel is the player to watch day 2.....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ThEpLyMaKeR88 said:
hawk is a middle linebacker they usually go high don't they
Hawk is an OLB, as is Carpenter. Schlegel is the MLB.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
The Browns will jump on Hawk if available. They'll not make the Chris Spielman mistake again.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Schlegal - thats the guy we need in the middle. Might be the next 4th rounder that has a Zack Thomas/ Urhlacher career.....