News: A long-term deal for Dak Prescott? Forget it. He hasn't earned one

NotForLong

Reaction score
Sir may I please point out that any QB selected in the draft hold zero guarantees of being as good let a lone better than Prescott. Sir can I please also point out that the list of QB's taken in the 1st round or any round that turned out to be busts is a mile long. This even includes a QB taken with the very 1st pick.. So sir can I please say that whatever is done with Prescott is less of a gamble than drafting a college QB that has taken zero snaps in the NFL.
Sounds like battered wife syndeome

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
The longer this goes on, the more I am OK with trading him. I will be disappointed if they use the exclusive tag on him. They should 100% use the NON-exclusive tag that allows him to seek a trade partner.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's not surprising a team would want to be certain about investing a floor of almost 18% of the salary cap in one player? Seems like the Cowboys are not willing to bite that apple.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This agent of his is really setting him up to be miserable.

When he has one of his bad games....against a decent team on the road...he is going to get hammered by fans and media.

Really Prescott, does it throw off your monthly budget if you get 35 million a year instead of 38?

He is going to definitely get a HUNDRED MILLION dollars no matter what.

Then you read the agent wont even answer the phone.

How's that gonna play when he misses that wide open WR on a critical third down??

The longer this goes, the better the chance he falls out of favor with fans and media.

I'd personally rather be happy with 35M than miserable with 38, but I suppose not everyone sees it that way, especially a greedy sports agent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most of the stuff in the media comes from Daks agents, so you have to be skeptical. Given Daks inconsistencies and that we've a new HC, it is inconceivable that, given the risks, any competent front office would give him a long term deal (noting our issues at GM). For the same reasons, any competent agent would want the longest, most tied in contract for Dak.

I think the short term rhetoric is Daks agents putting a gloss on the fact that if he gets a deal, it will only be a short term.one.
That makes no sense. Cowboys want to sign him long term so they can move money around to sign players with. Harder to do on short term deals. It’s easy to tell what Dak’s side releases and what the Cowboys release.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This agent of his is really setting him up to be miserable.

When he has one of his bad games....against a decent team on the road...he is going to get hammered by fans and media.

Really Prescott, does it throw off your monthly budget if you get 35 million a year instead of 38?

He is going to definitely get a HUNDRED MILLION dollars no matter what.

Then you read the agent wont even answer the phone.

How's that gonna play when he misses that wide open WR on a critical third down??

The longer this goes, the better the chance he falls out of favor with fans and media.

I'd personally rather be happy with 35M than miserable with 38, but I suppose not everyone sees it that way, especially a greedy sports agent.
Dak got hammered by fans and was making 400k a year. I think it’s past caring what the fans think about.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Nah, a tag is a definite win for Dak. Dak is the one that wanted a shorter dea . The Cowboys wanted to lock him up for seven years so they could play with the cap. Instead almost half their cap space this offseason is paying Dak. Also they could have made better use of the franchise tag on Amari Cooper or Byron Jones.

Dak may think a shorter time frame works in his favor but he may be in for a rude awakening. I wish he would hit the open market. He’ll find out that GM’s are not as in love with him as he is with himself. If only we could get 2 first rounders for him. But then I woke up...

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Dak may think a shorter time frame works in his favor but he may be in for a rude awakening. I wish he would hit the open market. He’ll find out that GM’s are not as in love with him as he is with himself. If only we could get 2 first rounders for him. But then I woke up...

If he was free and clear he definitely would get a comparable deal to what the Cowboys are offering. The non-exclusive tag would lower what teams would be willing to pay because they have to give up draft picks on top of it. Even in that scenario though, Dak could just play on the franchise tag one or two years and in the meantime the price goes up. And that isn't even taking into account the new cba which will make prices jump higher than normal. Cowboys want Dak to sign a 6 year deal when backups will probably be making $30 million 6 years from now.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
six-year deal with the option to renegotiate after 4, if it's about years. If it's not about money, then get it done.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
six-year deal with the option to renegotiate after 4, if it's about years. If it's not about money, then get it done.

What if Dak is not playing well and doesn't want to re-negotiate after 4 years? Are the Cowboys stuck with the deal and any money for years 5 and 6? The option for Dak to re-negotiate after 4 years would have to coincide with the Cowboys being able to void the rest of the deal after 4 years if they wanted to.

Adreme

Reaction score

No one would pay the first 2 rounders; Dak would just wait out 2 years on the tag and then get 45m in 2 years to make up for it. By that time the cap will have exploded so it will not even be seen as that huge a contract.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
What if Dak is not playing well and doesn't want to re-negotiate after 4 years? Are the Cowboys stuck with the deal and any money for years 5 and 6? The option for Dak to re-negotiate after 4 years would have to coincide with the Cowboys being able to void the rest of the deal after 4 years if they wanted to.
yep, I agree it's more complicated than what I posted.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
No one would pay the first 2 rounders; Dak would just wait out 2 years on the tag and then get 45m in 2 years to make up for it. By that time the cap will have exploded so it will not even be seen as that huge a contract.

If no other team would be willing to give up 2 1st round picks for what many around here believe is an Elite Franchise QB who is 27 years old and is suppose to get us to the SB, then why should we be willing to pay him like one? Give him the non exclusive tag and lets see what other teams really think about him, we can always match the offer

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If no other team would be willing to give up 2 1st round picks for what many around here believe is an Elite Franchise QB who is 27 years old and is suppose to get us to the SB, then why should we be willing to pay him like one? Give him the non exclusive tag and lets see what other teams really think about him, we can always match the offer

Adreme said it perfectly.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And again, this is an opinion, a really stupid opinion.. not news.