A look At 3 Realistic Free Safeties

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I have focused my eyes on 3 safeties I would like the Boys to look at on draft day. After I show their BIO- I'll tell you who I like.

Ko Simpson
6'1 (201)
2005-
tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 interceptions, 9 pass breakups, 0 forced fumble, 0 Sacks

Overview-
Ko Simpson has declared for the 2006 NFL Draft as an eligible sophomore. Born 11/9/1983, Simpson is already 22 years old and his physical maturity is a big reason he has been so dominant on the field despite his lack of experience. Simpson a flat-out playmaker and is a big reason South Carolina was able to turn things around this season and make a bowl appearance.
In 2004 he burst on the college football stage with 6 picks and another 6 passes defended. He showed great awareness on the field and used outstanding athleticism to make plays. In 2005, he racked up more than 100 tackles for the season and added another pick and 9 passes defended. Opposing defenses paid very close attention to where Simpson was and threw a different direction in most instances. When the QB does throw in his direction, he has very good closing speed and excellent timing on his hits. As a run-stopper, Simpson needs some more work as he is not a solid tackler. He'll be the first one on the scene in most cases, but is generally trying to take the legs out from under the ball-carrier rather than keeping his head up, his feet on the ground, and his arms around the opponent.

2..Simpson is the definition of a ballhawk in the secondary. He just has a nose for the football. He has a great sense of knowing where the action is going to be and gets there quickly. Simpson had seven picks in two seasons from his free safety spot. He is willing to attack the line of scrimmage and help out in run support. He is a very good athlete, with excellent quickness, and the speed to close on plays.

Negatives -
Doesn't have top end speed, has excelled against weaker competition

Overall-
Ko Simpson is a very good safety prospect. He is an all around talent, with a nose for the football. With Jimmy Williams and Michael Huff being corner/safety tweeners, he may be the best true free safety in the draft. His upside may not be quite as high as the typical sophomore because of his age. This is a deep safety class, but he should be taken on Day One, with workouts dictating just how high he goes.

Pat Watkins
6'4 (205)
2005- 67
tackles, 1 TFL, 3 interceptions, 5 pass breakups, 1 forced fumble, 0 sacks

Overview-
Pat Watkins is a lanky safety that has a body perfectly suited for today's super receivers. At 6'4" the first thing you notice about Watkins is his tremendous size and then when you see how fast he can run and move you start to see NFL scouts drool. Watkins is a tremendous force in the passing game with his body and athletic ability as well as his ability to read a QB and put himself in position to make a play. Can stick with pretty much any receiver in college football which is rare for a safety. He does have some difficulty with smurf type receivers but deals with them much better than any safety with his size. Not a huge threat in the run game but is suitable. He is the perfect compliment to a Rodney Harrison type safety. NFL teams will probably want him to play around 215 and he can easily get to that weight by draft time. Due to his ability to excel in the passing game he will most likely play free safety in the NFL and should be one of the first safeties off the board in the 2006 NFL Draft.

2.Playmaker at safety, can read plays superbly and shows great athleticism and hands to get to balls to pick them off. Great height and shows very good speed as well. Prototypical size once he continues to put on muscle. Willing in run support.

3.Watkins is the ideal free safety from a physical standpoint. He has excellent height, athleticism, and quickness. He shows the quickness to break on the ball and the speed to chase down from behind. Watkins is also very tough, and willing to attack the line of scrimmage in run support. He is quick to diagnose the play and is aggressive in run support or going after the ball while it is in the air.

Negatives-
More lanky than built, but has the frame to continue to add weight. Hasn't faired as well in man coverage, and plays his man with a lot of cushion. Just needs to continue to polish his overall game.
The only flaw physically with Watkins is his lack of bulk. He is lanky and will need to get stronger to play in the NFL. More physical wide receivers will be able to outmuscle him for the ball, and when asked to help in run support, he can be taken out of plays. While he was very good in college, he never seemed to take the next step up and dominate like his talent suggests he can.

Overall-
Watkins is one of the better free safety prospects in the draft because of his talent and the untapped potential he still has. There are a few underclassmen that could push Watkins down the safety board a bit, but he is a fine talent no matter who is in the draft. There is a very good possibility he hears his name called in the third round somewhere. If he goes any lower than that, he has the ability to be a major steal for whoever drafts him.

Anthony Smith
5'11 (192)
2005- 50 tackles, 5 TFL, 6 interceptions, 8 pass breakups, 2 forced fumble, 3 sacks

Overview-
1.Excellent cover skills. Had an incredible senior season, showing the skills to do everything the positions asks. Willing in run support, a great blitzer, and top notch in coverage. Playmaker who has a knack for creating turnovers. Great special teamer

2.Playmaker who is always around the ball...Very instinctive...A big hitter...Physical and will support the run...Very tough and will play through pain...Smart and like an extra coach on the field...Team leader...Is also a great kick blocker and special teams ace...Experience and has been very productive throughout his career.

Negatives-
Doesn't have the best physical tools, as he has only average size and strength. Not blazing fast. Can get over-agressive at times. Really broke out in his senior campaign, so has to prove it wasn't just a fluke.
Does not have great size...Lacks great range...Only average in coverage...Needs to bulk up and get stronger...Pure speed is below average...Can be too aggressive at times...Provides little as a blitzer...Not as good as his press clippings indicate...Doesn't have a lot of upside or potential due to physical shortcomings.

Overall-
The type who does everything well but nothing great...Makes up for what he lacks in physical capabilities with top intangibles...Should at the very least be a great backup at the next level and he is the type you never want to underestimate.

Ko Simpson
6'1 (201)
2005- 72
tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 interceptions, 9 pass breakups, 0 forced fumble, 0 Sacks

Pat Watkins
6'4 (205)
2005- 67
tackles, 1 TFL, 3 interceptions, 5 pass breakups, 1 forced fumble, 0 sacks

Anthony Smith
5'11 (192)
2005- 50 tackles, 5 TFL, 6 interceptions, 8 pass breakups, 2 forced fumble, 3 sacks

My money is on Pat Watkins.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I personally would rather not draft a FS in the first round. So unless Ko Simpson drops into our pick in the second, I'd want Watkins in the third round. Though I still would rather sign a young vet FS with some experience.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Nice breakdown...

I like watkins as well but I wouldnt take any safety in the first. In the 2nd or 3rd sounds good to me...

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I like Watkins too , but Daniel Bullocks from Nebraska is a name that should be added to this list too . From what I've heard , Dallas had it's longest interview with Bullocks at the Senior Bowl . The Cowboys spent quite a bit of time with him , RB Cedric Humes from Virginia Tech , OT Johnathan Scott from Texas , and DE Kamerion Wimbley from Florida St. . Safety Jason Allen from Tennessee is another guy to keep an eye on . He was a first rounder all the way last season , but has dropped due to some injuries this year .

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT said:
I like Watkins too , but Daniel Bullocks from Nebraska is a name that should be added to this list too . From what I've heard , Dallas had it's longest interview with Bullocks at the Senior Bowl . The Cowboys spent quite a bit of time with him , RB Cedric Humes from Virginia Tech , OT Johnathan Scott from Texas , and DE Kamerion Wimbley from Florida St. . Safety Jason Allen from Tennessee is another guy to keep an eye on . He was a first rounder all the way last season , but has dropped due to some injuries this year .
Is this the Jimmy Buffett I know from DMN and "Detox?"

:welcome: either way.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Is this the Jimmy Buffett I know from DMN and "Detox?"

:welcome: either way.

Indeed ! I hear about you guys all the time , so I figured it was time I came and checked it out . I see quite a few names from the old DMN days . Love the site and thanks for the welcome .

dcboy

Reaction score
So Anthony Smith has excellent cover skills, is top notch in coverage and a great blitzer, yet is also average in coverage and provides little as a blitzer?
:lmao2: :lmao: :laugh2:

The only safety that I want in the first is Jimmy Williams or possibly Huff.

Anthony Smith
5'11 (192)

Overview-
1.Excellent cover skills. Had an incredible senior season, showing the skills to do everything the positions asks. Willing in run support, a great blitzer, and top notch in coverage. Playmaker who has a knack for creating turnovers. Great special teamer

2.Playmaker who is always around the ball...Very instinctive...A big hitter...Physical and will support the run...Very tough and will play through pain...Smart and like an extra coach on the field...Team leader...Is also a great kick blocker and special teams ace...Experience and has been very productive throughout his career.

Negatives-
Doesn't have the best physical tools, as he has only average size and strength. Not blazing fast. Can get over-agressive at times. Really broke out in his senior campaign, so has to prove it wasn't just a fluke.
Does not have great size...Lacks great range...Only average in coverage...Needs to bulk up and get stronger...Pure speed is below average...Can be too aggressive at times...Provides little as a blitzer...Not as good as his press clippings indicate...Doesn't have a lot of upside or potential due to physical shortcomings.

Overall-
The type who does everything well but nothing great...Makes up for what he lacks in physical capabilities with top intangibles...Should at the very least be a great backup at the next level and he is the type you never want to underestimate.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
day 2 guys.

the early safeties are jimmy williams and michael huff.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
I would love to get huff in the first round hes the only safety worthy of being picked in the first round but I would be suprised if he was still there at #18.

NewmanFan4

Reaction score
If Huff is available at 18: 18. Huff 49.Stanley McClover or similar OLB

If Huff is gone at 18: 18. Bobby Carpenter (if he's still there) 49. Jason Allen

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT said:
Indeed ! I hear about you guys all the time , so I figured it was time I came and checked it out . I see quite a few names from the old DMN days . Love the site and thanks for the welcome .
How's the golf game bro? Mine is stagnant. Haven't played in a year it seems.

Jump in with your usual candor.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
dcboy said:
So Anthony Smith has excellent cover skills, is top notch in coverage and a great blitzer, yet is also average in coverage and provides little as a blitzer?
:lmao2: :lmao: :laugh2:

The only safety that I want in the first is Jimmy Williams or possibly Huff.

Anthony Smith
5'11 (192)

Overview-

Negatives-

Overall-
Those were 2 different oppinions from 2 different sites.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
NewmanFan4 said:
If Huff is available at 18: 18. Huff 49.Stanley McClover or similar OLB

If Huff is gone at 18: 18. Bobby Carpenter (if he's still there) 49. Jason Allen
Huff will be gone, plus he's more of a SS. I was featuring guys who were more of the FS mold.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Can we please not put our 3rd high pick in 5 years into the defensive back field. Putting it on defense is something I can deal with, but I do think we really need to start putting some more attention into our offense, especially WR.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Hostile said:
How's the golf game bro? Mine is stagnant. Haven't played in a year it seems.

Jump in with your usual candor.

Still short and crooked . I pretty much shut down my golf game between October and January and become a hunting guide on the weekends . I then spend most of February and March trying to make up with my wife for being gone every weekend for 4 months . I'll hit hard again in April .

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
Can we please not put our 3rd high pick in 5 years into the defensive back field. Putting it on defense is something I can deal with, but I do think we really need to start putting some more attention into our offense, especially WR.
I'm thinking Watkins 3rd round. I like Chad Jackson and Sinorice Moss as WR - Look for BP to make trades... According to his draft history, when his team needed lots of help, he acquired tons of picks.

jbsg02

Reaction score
If huff fell to 12 or 13 trading up to get him might not be a bad idea.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
I like Huff, but we have Huff in RW I think. And I don't know if BP is going to go 3 high draft picks on secondary with Newman and Roy Williams being the others. But you never know.....

Derinyar

Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
Your right, it might not be a bad idea. It would be a bad idea. There goes 2 picks this year for a saftey. OR even worse 1st this year and 1st next year.

tm1119

Reaction score
Why are you comaring Huff to Roy? Huff is a lot smaller and a lot faster than Roy. and cant tackle nearly as well. Huff started more than a couple games at Cb in college, he has more than enough cover skills to play FS in the nfl.