A movie franchise rescue?

nobody

Reaction score
Justice League is only one of thousands of films that receive that treatment. It is unfair but what amazes me are the overly harsh criticisms that are re-emphasized even more after someone replies, "The movie was not THAT bad."

Extreme takes are one reason why I go by my own restrictive scale for reviewing movies. It keeps me centered.

Is it an extreme take, or is it personal choice as to what constitutes quality? It's all subjective.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it an extreme take, or is it personal choice as to what constitutes quality? It's all subjective.
I could not argue a strong counterpoint on subjectivity. Relative subjectivity gets all the creative arts awards shows (e.g. Oscars, Grammys, etc.) in trouble on a yearly basis. :muttley:

That said, fundamental questions remain. What are an individual's quality standards (in relation to films)? What does an individual expect of directing, acting, sound and visual editing, etc.? Do certain individuals even care? What is the definition of entertainment to that individual? Many more...

Film example: Man of Steel. My apologies @cml750 but I think this is a worthy discussion point.:) One individual could state MoS is a good movie reflecting the character's current comics persona. Another individual could state MoS is the worse film ever made.

How did two different individuals watching the same movie end up with vastly different opinions? What did the film do or not do towards entertaining or not entertaining either viewer?

Personally, I think consensus opinion for any movie is unattainable unless it is one of those rare few that 'everyone' across the board loves. Personal tastes are so varied. Even so, I always wonder if any particular person's tastes are derived consciously or subconsciously. In my opinion, extreme takes often (not always but often) originate subconsciously and the components of a film are not analyzed beyond 'This movie is legendary!' or 'This movie is crud.'

Just my 2 cents.

nobody

Reaction score
I could not argue a strong counterpoint on subjectivity. Relative subjectivity gets all the creative arts awards shows (e.g. Oscars, Grammys, etc.) in trouble on a yearly basis. :muttley:

That said, fundamental questions remain. What are an individual's quality standards (in relation to films)? What does an individual expect of directing, acting, sound and visual editing, etc.? Do certain individuals even care? What is the definition of entertainment to that individual? Many more...

Film example: Man of Steel. My apologies @cml750 but I think this is a worthy discussion point.:) One individual could state MoS is a good movie reflecting the character's current comics persona. Another individual could state MoS is the worse film ever made.

How did two different individuals watching the same movie end up with vastly different opinions? What did the film do or not do towards entertaining or not entertaining either viewer?

Personally, I think consensus opinion for any movie is unattainable unless it is one of those rare few that 'everyone' across the board loves. Personal tastes are so varied. Even so, I always wonder if any particular person's tastes are derived consciously or subconsciously. In my opinion, extreme takes often (not always but often) originate subconsciously and the components of a film are not analyzed beyond 'This movie is legendary!' or 'This movie is crud.'

Just my 2 cents.

A lot of extreme takes are developed over time as people think more about the movie after having seen it...as if the more time passes, the more they remember flaws in the movie.

I think it's more rare that people go into a movie with the idea that "this is going to suck!" and then look for every reason why it sucks while watching it. Sure, it happens. When I go to movies, I go in with zero expectations either way and let the movie itself shape my opinion on it. That being said, if a movie is about a particular subject, stay as close to the source material as possible. If you don't want to stick to source material, make some other similar movie where there isn't established characters/rules.