A movie franchise rescue?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I loved that movie and my sis was married to the guy (I only knew he was Masonic Lodge leader in CenTex) for years before she told me. I had no clue.
Yes, Ghostbusters 2 was not a very good movie, but I loved it anyway!
Shoot, I love Yor, The Hunter From The Future...

Flawed, but fun just the same. And MacNicol was great as Janosz.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This makes it look like Thor is more powerful by a small margin....but why are his stats so colorful? Was this graphic in response to an article on him?
I believe the color difference in stats may be due to Thor's stats being created before the others and the illustrator thought it was important at the time to highlight the differences in the categories. Or vise versa.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is like how I described her last May in the A:IW closing credits scene. Captain Marvel is a major player. She will be the most powerful in her movie, which is why I think is one reason why they are hyping it so much as to not catch the non-core audience off-guard, but because she is comparable with the other heavy hitters already established in the MCU also.

That is not just my opinion, It's Marvel.com's. Here are some comparisons:

Captain Marvel
dyVIEey.jpg

Thor
HQxAK1m.jpg

Hulk
pFJp8FB.jpg

Iron Man
hH2X5Us.jpg

Thanos
3oIdmSB.jpg

As powerful as he is, Thanos confronted the Avengers, Guardians and Wakanka with an army and was still a Stormbreaker strike to the head from defeat. In my opinion, CM will be the tipping point in Endgame. And the funny thing is I do not think Thanos will ever see her coming, lol.

I may add all the reference links later. Or anyone can visit Marvel.com, select a character and choose the IN COMICS FULL REPORT for the characters' comparisons I embedded above.

I'm thinking the movie versions are different...

I've read several articles that painted Captain Marvel as being the most powerful of all the Avengers... Akin to DC's Super Man.

The producers of "End Game" remarked they were leery on how to use her in the film because she's so powerful.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/fil...-captain-marvel-too-powerful-directors-worry/

The head of Marvel has come out and said that Captain Marvel is now the post powerful character.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/fil...ially-the-most-powerful-character-in-the-mcu/

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Apparently, Ghostbusters 3 got green-lit and will be directed by the son of the main producer of the first two Ghostbusters. It's set to have the original (still living) cast to train a new team to pass the torch to. Even Bill Murray agreed to it. And it's ignoring the train wreck that was the 2016 reboot.

I thought this was gonna be Terminator/Cameron “saving”

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If you don't start with a good story, nothing else you can do will save a film. Start with a crappy story and then no special effects, no director, and no star quality actor can save it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm thinking the movie versions are different...

I've read several articles that painted Captain Marvel as being the most powerful of all the Avengers... Akin to DC's Super Man.

The producers of "End Game" remarked they were leery on how to use her in the film because she's so powerful.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/fil...-captain-marvel-too-powerful-directors-worry/

The head of Marvel has come out and said that Captain Marvel is now the post powerful character.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/fil...ially-the-most-powerful-character-in-the-mcu/
You are right but the Superman comparison is not entirely correct. Captain Marvel's power originates from the Tesseract. The Tesseract is an Infinity Stone. The Infinity Stones are cosmic entities. Thus, Marvel's power is cosmic based.

CM is more powerful in terms of sheer power because of her cosmic abilities. She even outclasses Thor in that aspect. That is essentially being emphasized in the movies but she does not outclass the Hulk in strength, etc.

I agree Danvers is more powerful in the overall sense by comparison to her MCU hero counterparts but not in the same way as Superman, who has practically everyone in the DCEU beat in every imaginable category. It is understandable Endgame producers would be concerned that she would be evaluated by audiences as 'Superwoman' but I am confident they will present her as both extremely powerful and vulnerable in a different but similar fashion as the other hero characters.

I am glad Kevin Feige also added CM is '...one of the most powerful characters in the comics'. My personal worry is that certain portions of the audience, who are not familiar with source material, might over-rate CM based on her movie and the upcoming movie. I have fully anticipated Danvers being a overwhelming adversary for Thanos ever since Fury dropped her pager in Avengers: Infinity War but I am both aware of her limitations and other characters who have not graced the MCU at this point.

Captain Marvel is truly 'all that' but at the same time, taking everything Marvel Comics represents, she is not really 'all that' in the greater scheme. For me, it is very exciting knowing the upcoming phases of the MCU have the potential of being even more exciting than what audiences have seen thus far.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are right but the Superman comparison is not entirely correct. Captain Marvel's power originates from the Tesseract. The Tesseract is an Infinity Stone. The Infinity Stones are cosmic entities. Thus, Marvel's power is cosmic based.

CM is more powerful in terms of sheer power because of her cosmic abilities. She even outclasses Thor in that aspect. That is essentially being emphasized in the movies but she does not outclass the Hulk in strength, etc.

I agree Danvers is more powerful in the overall sense by comparison to her MCU hero counterparts but not in the same way as Superman, who has practically everyone in the DCEU beat in every imaginable category. It is understandable Endgame producers would be concerned that she would be evaluated by audiences as 'Superwoman' but I am confident they will present her as both extremely powerful and vulnerable in a different but similar fashion as the other hero characters.

I am glad Kevin Feige also added CM is '...one of the most powerful characters in the comics'. My personal worry is that certain portions of the audience, who are not familiar with source material, might over-rate CM based on her movie and the upcoming movie. I have fully anticipated Danvers being a overwhelming adversary for Thanos ever since Fury dropped her pager in Avengers: Infinity War but I am both aware of her limitations and other characters who have not graced the MCU at this point.

Captain Marvel is truly 'all that' but at the same time, taking everything Marvel Comics represents, she is not really 'all that' in the greater scheme. For me, it is very exciting knowing the upcoming phases of the MCU have the potential of being even more exciting than what audiences have seen thus far.

I'm not sure that I have my bar set quite so high. I don't see anything approaching Avengers level exciting on the upcoming schedule, announced or rumored.

As a huge Star Wars and comics fan, I see both of these all-powerful intellectual properties heading into what are clearly huge transitional phases. And those transitions can either be very good or very bad. But the bars set by the predecessors couldn't be much higher.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah one thing Marvel has always done well is give each character some kind of weakness or flaw that makes the vulnerable... I'm sure they have some sort of sequence is "Endgame" where CM is part of the whole and the whole enchilada so to speak.

I have read in a couple places where CM will become the leader of the Avengers for the immediate future... No idea how true that is.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure that I have my bar set quite so high. I don't see anything approaching Avengers level exciting on the upcoming schedule, announced or rumored.

As a huge Star Wars and comics fan, I see both of these all-powerful intellectual properties heading into what are clearly huge transitional phases. And those transitions can either be very good or very bad. But the bars set by the predecessors couldn't be much higher.
I have mixed appreciation for the current Star Wars incarnations. For me, The Last Jedi was disappointing and The Force Awakens was a very good restart of the franchise but I found Rogue One and Solo the most entertaining overall. Solo, in particular, gets panned often but I savored watching the actual Kessel Run alone a lot more than others.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah one thing Marvel has always done well is give each character some kind of weakness or flaw that makes the vulnerable... I'm sure they have some sort of sequence is "Endgame" where CM is part of the whole and the whole enchilada so to speak.

I have read in a couple places where CM will become the leader of the Avengers for the immediate future... No idea how true that is.
That would definitely coincide with events that happened in the comics. Danvers has affiliations with several hero groups but the Avengers and her stint as their leader has been one of her most high profile roles.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would definitely coincide with events that happened in the comics. Danvers has affiliations with several hero groups but the Avengers and her stint as their leader has been one of her most high profile roles.

As a non-comic book reader, and really not a big "super hero" film buff I find it interesting that Marvel would give a female character a lead role both in overall capability and leadership.

I applaud them for that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I definitely see it hoping that way, if, in fact, we even have an Avengers team after Endgame.

I truly think that this is a big goodbye to at least three or four of the current highest profile Avengers characters.

I think Iron Man (Downey)
Captain America (Evans)
Likely Thor (Hemsworth)
Hulk (Ruffalo)
Hawkeye (Renner)

All may be done after this next film, and they will leave behind big shoes to fill. And that's a big part of where my concerns for the future come from.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a non-comic book reader, and really not a big "super hero" film buff I find it interesting that Marvel would give a female character a lead role both in overall capability and leadership.

I applaud them for that.
In my opinion, Marvel has been more progressive than DC in that regard. Storm has been the leader of the X-Men many times for example. Fox has done an average job highlighting just how powerful Ororo Munroe truly is in its movies to date in my opinion.

The odds are slim but I hope the future MCU spotlights other powerful female superheroes like Storm, Rogue, Scarlet Witch and America Chavez. Fox's last contribution, Dark Phoenix, will do so in June but the spotlight will be on a villain instead of a hero.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have mixed appreciation for the current Star Wars incarnations. For me, The Last Jedi was disappointing and The Force Awakens was a very good restart of the franchise but I found Rogue One and Solo the most entertaining overall. Solo, in particular, gets panned often but I savored watching the actual Kessel Run alone a lot more than others.
I was just happy to see them use "parsecs" as a measure of distance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think poor Solo gets mistreated much like Justice League does. Neither is as bad as some people make them out to be, but both are victims of high standards to measure up to, and poor corporate decisions. Justice League was rushed, with characters barely introduced, and a director's vision that was much too ambitious for one film. They took everything that worked so well for Marvel and decided to "do the opposite". And then deciding to mix directors was the last straw.

And Solo was dropped into a silly release date, too soon after the last Star Wars film, and surrounded by other blockbusters to take away audiences. Why Disney decided to rush that film to release rather than keeping it at the once-a-year schedule that had worked baffles me.

nobody

Reaction score
I think poor Solo gets mistreated much like Justice League does. Neither is as bad as some people make them out to be, but both are victims of high standards to measure up to, and poor corporate decisions. Justice League was rushed, with characters barely introduced, and a director's vision that was much too ambitious for one film. They took everything that worked so well for Marvel and decided to "do the opposite". And then deciding to mix directors was the last straw.

And Solo was dropped into a silly release date, too soon after the last Star Wars film, and surrounded by other blockbusters to take away audiences. Why Disney decided to rush that film to release rather than keeping it at the once-a-year schedule that had worked baffles me.

I think for the reasons you listed, Justice League was as bad as some people make it out to be. You're just being an apologist because you love the characters and idea. :) It had potential, but they blew it big time.

Solo had its problems, but I enjoyed it. Had the Last Jedi not been a horribly-written, horribly-directed, and mediocre-acted piece of garbage with a big-time agenda that collectively spat in the face of all SW fans, Solo wouldn't have gotten the boycott that it did and would have done better at the box office.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think for the reasons you listed, Justice League was as bad as some people make it out to be. You're just being an apologist because you love the characters and idea. :) It had potential, but they blew it big time.

I'm the furthest thing from an apologist for anything Zack Snyder has done as you'll ever find. That's totally inaccurate. I'm just saying the movie isn't as bad as some people would have you believe. Some take their criticisms to unfounded extremes.

Solo had its problems, but I enjoyed it. Had the Last Jedi not been a horribly-written, horribly-directed, and mediocre-acted piece of garbage with a big-time agenda that collectively spat in the face of all SW fans, Solo wouldn't have gotten the boycott that it did and would have done better at the box office.

Had Solo been released unchallenged in December as the other Star Wars films were it would have done better as well. Someone felt the need to foolishly rush it and release it during the summer blockbuster season, and that prove a huge mistake. Combined with the fan backlash and Star Wars fatigue, and the film didn't have much of a chance.

I will say this however, I think the story could have been better. I don't think Solo had enough "meat" to it as far as what they were looking to tell. I was a bit underwhelmed in that area, and in retrospect, it might not have been a story that needed telling. And I think that's why any ideas of other characters from the past being revisited have been scrapped.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some take their criticisms to unfounded extremes.
Justice League is only one of thousands of films that receive that treatment. It is unfair but what amazes me are the overly harsh criticisms that are re-emphasized even more after someone replies, "The movie was not THAT bad."

Extreme takes are one reason why I go by my own restrictive scale for reviewing movies. It keeps me centered.

Last edited: