A must read for Cowboy Fans... Beware of the wrath of Jimmy Johnson *Merge*

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2270571 said:
Man, just the opposite. My respect level went up.

JJ = Sgt. Hulka. You may hate him, but he has your best interests at heart.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
QuanTran;2270711 said:
Anyone remember when Eric Williams was busted with that girl in the "white house"? Like I said, can't wait to read it....

Pretty sure that turned out to be a bunch of crap. False accusations, etc.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2270714 said:
JJ = Sgt. Hulka. You may hate him, but he has your best interests at heart.
Funny, I thought Military too, but General Patton. There's a line in the movie where he is being questioned by a bunch of reporters and he says, "damnit, I don't want these men to love me. I want 'em to fight for me."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile;2270799 said:
Funny, I thought Military too, but General Patton. There's a line in the movie where he is being questioned by a bunch of reporters and he says, "damnit, I don't want these men to love me. I want 'em to fight for me."

I thought it was more like they will lose their fear of combat but I hope they never lose their fear of me.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2270805 said:
I thought it was more like they will lose their fear of combat but I hope they never lose their fear of me.
He said both in that movie.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile;2270893 said:
Yep, except it was Rommel. :D

Well true. When I was in High School I listened to the record from the movie before every game we played. Not by my choice but we had some member of the team that would go into the coaches room and put the album on of Patton opening speech to get motivated. Myself I would sit by myself and visualize the game in my head. It is strange how different guys in a locker room get themselves ready to play

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I shudder to think what Jimmy could do with the talent we have now in this weak-sister NFL, compared to the rock-ribbed teams Dallas had to beat in the 90s.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
bbgun;2270074 said:
Just when I thought I couldn't love Jimmy more than I already did.

I hear ya man. After reading that my adoration for him has grown too. Those were the days...

MONT17

Reaction score
Jimmy is a jerk he made Richards fumble twice in a game to prove a point! I guess nfln should get rid of the footage they have on Americas game when irvin says jimmy jumped on him! *ikman and irvin were left behind by jimmy! They can rip jimmy all they want the guy built the greatest team ever not too many can say that

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The following day, the Cowboys were scheduled to gather at noon for a meeting at Valley Ranch. Safety Ray Horton was sitting alone outside the weight room when Johnson approached. "Ray," he said, "how are the guys?"
An elder statesman who knew this would be his final season, Horton lacked the insecurity to sugarcoat an answer. "Coach," he said, "they're really pissed at you."

Johnson failed to flinch. "That's fine," he said, "as long as they play for me."
Moments later Johnson entered the team meeting, stood before the room and made an announcement. Horton knew what was coming -- Johnson would apologize and the organization would move on. Right?

"I know some guys are mad at me," Johnson said, "but I just want to win."
And that was that.
That's all I needed to read.

Bless you, Jimmy Johnson.

Personal adversity can do one of two things to you.

It can make you want to quit. Or it can make you stronger.

Jimmy Johnson's players didn't quit and the results speak for themselves.

Of course, head coaches like Tony Dungy can be successful being the anti-Jimmy Johnson and it's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Still, if you're a player being paid gawd-awful sums of money and you find yourself wigging out over a hard as nails coach, why not shut your mouth, play hard and invest a tad of your income in a real spine?

It's called the National Football League for a reason. It's the pinnacle of the sport of football. Expectations do not go any higher than professional football. If you're a player and find yourself playing for a very good coach who you feel like killing, man up because you should accept his high expectations and try to live up to them. However, if you 'can't take it', don't.

Quit on your coach.

Quit on your team.

Pout.

That's what 'real' football is all about.

Right?