A must read for Cowboy Fans... Beware of the wrath of Jimmy Johnson *Merge*

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I'm sure scores of players hated Landry's guts. Charlie Waters said he'd humilate you at the Monday film sessions. Didn't make him any less of a legendary coach.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
that "Id Rather Be Feared Than Loved" approach doesnt work for a long time when a team is successful, and it might not work at all with todays athletes.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
thechosen1n2;2272244 said:
that "Id Rather Be Feared Than Loved" approach doesnt work for a long time when a team is successful, and it might not work at all with todays athletes.

I disagree it might not have worked with BP just cause he was an old school type coach. However it seems to work for the Pats and Coughlin.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
I wonder if they have this book at my library in New Jersey...

I want to read it really bad.

MONT17

Reaction score
Come to think about it that play in dc where aikman pulled the ball back should have been called an incomplete pass. Or didn't they have the tuck rule back then?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
MONT17;2272374 said:
Come to think about it that play in dc where aikman pulled the ball back should have been called an incomplete pass. Or didn't they have the tuck rule back then?

nope I think they invented when the Raiders played the Pats in that playoff game it came after that,.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
HowAboutThemCowboys;2272478 said:
I wonder how he got by putting those guys on the cover? Do you think they were compensated?

Well, most likely, knowing Emmitt, Aikman and Irvin probably gave permission for the pics, but, Emmitt charged him around 90 grand or so, or more!!

Emmitt will charge you 10 bucks if you say Hello to him...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I think thats why Jimmy Johnson's motto of moving on to another team after 5 years is because the old routine of being tough got old on the players like Michael Irvin said.

Now at the same time we or most cowboys fans loved the superbowl years that jimmy johnson gave the cowboys and in reality, he gave the cowboys 3 superbowls, due to the team being already built when switzer took over.

What turned jimmy johnson away in 94 was when jimmy asked jerry jones to keep veterans like Mark Stepnoski, Kevin Gogan, Ken Norton Jr to name a few, those were key backups, but jerry jones wouldnt do it. So, Jimmy left, i do still think that jimmy would have stayed for 94, but he left for those reasons being loses of key free agents and the 5 year span and jimmy not wanting to share spotllight with jerry jones.

I do think jimmy would have left in after 94 due to the fact the cowboys might have won that superbowl and that big game in candlestick park, if the cowboys still had kevin gogan, mark stepnoski and ken norton jr, there are a few more veteran players but i cant think of their names.

Yes, Jimmy was tough and rude, but thats what great coaches do like Noll, Landry, Parcells and Lombardi, they are tough on the players and dont back down.

What seperated Landry from this pack was when he broke down in 1966 and cried before the team and the players loved him after that, sure hated him in meetings like when charley waters said landry would ridicule them, but he was still tough when need be.

What made Jimmy Johnson unique was all of the coaches he had that helped him win along with the players, wise, davis, wandestadt, campo to name a few along with key aqcuistions of safety horton, safety from pittsburgh cant thimk of his name right now and charles haley and the hershel walker trade.

Like Parcells said when he first came aboard, he was tough and rough with his style or the highway like jimmy. Parcells told jerry we have to win within the 5 years or it wll fall apart.

Which it did to a degree.

Its true too what one guy posted that the players should man up and play with heart and desire they are getting mega bucks now to play, might as well play with fire and detemination to win and be the best.

LIke Hostile said about Patton, when patton said, heck i dont want the players to like me i want them to fear me. Thats the only way to do it to me if you want to win championships quickly and fast.

And its true if jimmy johnson had the talent that is on this team now, he could destroy teams, and i have the feeling that jimmy would go out and get a another star studed player like charles haley to put the finishing touches on this team, or like when jerry jones signed deion sanders to the team.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I knew the vast majority of what that guy wrote there already because it's covered in the Skip Bayless book The Dallas Cowboys Season on The Edge.

In fact quite a bit of it is almost exactly how he wrote it in his book so it's nothing new.

Jimmy was obviously a tough coach, but it worked for him.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2272631 said:
True...

Brings a tear to one's eye. :)

Robert Jones must have felt three inches tall when he got off that plane.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
5Stars;2272485 said:
Well, most likely, knowing Emmitt, Aikman and Irvin probably gave permission for the pics, but, Emmitt charged him around 90 grand or so, or more!!

Emmitt will charge you 10 bucks if you say Hello to him...
I think people have a right to their name or likeness, so when someone charges for or denies a picture or autograph people should really get the **** over it. They also need to stop using its for the "kids" as a reason.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
dogunwo;2272740 said:
I think people have a right to their name or likeness, so when someone charges for or denies a picture or autograph people should really get the **** over it. They also need to stop using its for the "kids" as a reason.

Tell Emmitt, not me....

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
5Stars;2272753 said:
Tell Emmitt, not me....
It may not have been clear, but I was agreeing with Emmitt. People say Tiger Woods is a jerk because he doesnt stop to give every kid who walks up to him an autograph. So what?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Chief;2270663 said:
The story about the flight after the loss at Washington has been told many times and it turns my stomach every time I read a new version of it.

There are a lot of things to like about Jimmy the coach, but he was out of line after that game and everyone knew it.

Jimmy and Wade are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to temperament and personality.

I know Jerry liked the results with Jimmy, but I'm sure he's more comfortable with Wade. And if Wade doesn't get results this year, Jerry will go Jimmy all over Wade.

Well beyond out of line, Chief.