A New Carter Thread

Verdict

Reaction score
Carter cleared waivers and still hasnt been signed by an NFL club. That says VOLUMES about what the rest of the league thought about Carter's skill level. The drug tests might be a factor in that, but if Ray Lewis or Jamal Lewis had been cut there would be a ton of teams clammoring for their services. While this shows how bad Q was viewed by other teams here is another angle on this dead horse we have been beating( I enjoy beating this horse anyway). If teams thought Q was so bad that he is not worthy of being a third string qb they obviously had no respect for him last year as a starter which is why they loaded up the box and forced Carter to try to beat them with the pass toward the end of the year. By the end of the year this brought our offensive production to a halt. We won 10 games anyway, so this year our offense should be better, even if its by subtraction (Quincy). :D Some thought our poor running game hampered Quincy, but it could have been the other way around.....it is possible our running game was also affected by a poor qb. :eek:

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Verdict said:
Carter cleared waivers and still hasnt been signed by an NFL club. That says VOLUMES about what the rest of the league thought about Carter's skill level. The drug tests might be a factor in that, but if Ray Lewis or Jamal Lewis had been cut there would be a ton of teams clammoring for their services. While this shows how bad Q was viewed by other teams here is another angle on this dead horse we have been beating( I enjoy beating this horse anyway). If teams thought Q was so bad that he is not worthy of being a third string qb they obviously had no respect for him last year as a starter which is why they loaded up the box and forced Carter to try to beat them with the pass toward the end of the year. By the end of the year this brought our offensive production to a halt. We won 10 games anyway, so this year our offense should be better, even if its by subtraction (Quincy). :D Some thought our poor running game hampered Quincy, but it could have been the other way around.....it is possible our running game was affected by a poor qb. :eek:

I couldn't agree more.

If Carter had real talent...then he would have been picked up by now.

zack

Reaction score
Verdict said:
Carter cleared waivers and still hasnt been signed by an NFL club. That says VOLUMES about what the rest of the league thought about Carter's skill level. The drug tests might be a factor in that, but if Ray Lewis or Jamal Lewis had been cut there would be a ton of teams clammoring for their services. While this shows how bad Q was viewed by other teams here is another angle on this dead horse we have been beating( I enjoy beating this horse anyway). If teams thought Q was so bad that he is not worthy of being a third string qb they obviously had no respect for him last year as a starter which is why they loaded up the box and forced Carter to try to beat them with the pass toward the end of the year. By the end of the year this brought our offensive production to a halt. We won 10 games anyway, so this year our offense should be better, even if its by subtraction (Quincy). :D Some thought our poor running game hampered Quincy, but it could have been the other way around.....it is possible our running game was affected by a poor qb. :eek:

I think the drug implication has a lot to do with it sorry. I don't know if there has ever been a starting QB recently that was in a substance abuse program? Maybe someone else can shed some light on it. Bottom line, if it is true about his drug problems, would you want him leading your team? So don't make it out to being a talent thing. I think it is larger than that.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
zack said:
I think the drug implication has a lot to do with it sorry. I don't know if there has ever been a starting QB recently that was in a substance abuse program? Maybe someone else can shed some light on it. Bottom line, if it is true about his drug problems, would you want him leading your team? So don't make it out to being a talent thing. I think it is larger than that.

I'm sure that the drug implication has some play in this.

But....the original poster is correct when he states that a team would pick up a true blue chip regardless of drug history. Most teams would take a chance on a very talented player.

You are kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

It is fair to say that QC may have been picked up by another team if the drug implications were not there.

But it is also equally fair to say that if he were truly good enough to be the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys, then other teams would still take a chance on him even with the implication.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Sorry, but you don't pick up a QB halfway through training camp (takes time for a QB to learn a new offense) when you know he's gonna be suspended for 4 games. Plus, there's a good chance he'd end up being suspended again (for a year the next time) so why bother?

But if makes you feel better to talk about how low his skill levels are then be my guest.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Verdict said:
Carter cleared waivers and still hasnt been signed by an NFL club. That says VOLUMES about what the rest of the league thought about Carter's skill level. The drug tests might be a factor in that, but if Ray Lewis or Jamal Lewis had been cut there would be a ton of teams clammoring for their services. While this shows how bad Q was viewed by other teams here is another angle on this dead horse we have been beating( I enjoy beating this horse anyway). If teams thought Q was so bad that he is not worthy of being a third string qb they obviously had no respect for him last year as a starter which is why they loaded up the box and forced Carter to try to beat them with the pass toward the end of the year. By the end of the year this brought our offensive production to a halt. We won 10 games anyway, so this year our offense should be better, even if its by subtraction (Quincy). :D Some thought our poor running game hampered Quincy, but it could have been the other way around.....it is possible our running game was also affected by a poor qb. !:eek:
Well look around the league where can he go? ter are so many teams that either ahve there QB's set or are tryin out the new ones they ahve. Arizone dennis is lookin at blake he doesnt want to bring in carter for what? So really untill the need for a QB arises no nobody is gonna want him. He wants to strt and they dont want to have to deal with that.

BrownSugar

One Classy Lady
Reaction score
Woo hoo, just what we needed, another thread about someone who is no longer on this team.... :rolleyes:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
To my way of looking at it, I am truly excited knowing that last year we had a starting QB that no one wants and yet, we made the playoffs. Imagine how far we would have gotten with an average QB.

So, I see this as forward looking optimism....rather than "I told ya so" face rubbing. :D

Verdict

Reaction score
zack said:

Come on now friend. Look at this logically. You are not talking about Quincy LEADING your team. The fact he wasnt signed by anyone...ANYONE...even as a third string QB says its not just drugs. If Peyton Manning gets cut today for drugs, (and gets suspended for 4 games) count me as one who says SIGN the guy immediately and take a chance on him. Dont mean to flame you but this just strikes me as Quincy appologism (if its a word) at work. :D

zack

Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on whether there has been a QB in the past that has been in the substance abuse program? I would like to know this answer.

Bill the Butcher

Reaction score
zack said:
This isnt rocket science guys. I think were way overcomplicating this thing. Carter is gone because A, he quite frankly isnt a very good QB, B, he has exhibited a bad attitude" saying the team KNOWS who the leader is, no QB competition, after BP said there was" and C....the failed drug test. The blowup with Carthon over practice snaps didnt help his cause either. A TRUE LEADER doesnt whine, he perserveres with his actions NOT HIS MOUTH! Anyway, it was a combo of all those things. In the end the drugtest was the final straw, NOT THE STRAW. Pretty easy to see if you look at it logically. ;)

Verdict

Reaction score
zack said:
Can someone shed some light on whether there has been a QB in the past that has been in the substance abuse program? I would like to know this answer.

Carter has NO talent, but I think your changing KISS signature line is as cool as I've seen.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
Sorry, but you don't pick up a QB halfway through training camp (takes time for a QB to learn a new offense) when you know he's gonna be suspended for 4 games. Plus, there's a good chance he'd end up being suspended again (for a year the next time) so why bother?

But if makes you feel better to talk about how low his skill levels are then be my guest.

It is my understanding that he would NOT have been suspended for four games....he would just lose four game checks.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zack said:

Was Kerry Collins ever in the substance abuse program after he got in trouble in New Orleans...I really do not know.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
And we'll have fun-fun-fun 'til your daddy takes the QBird away...

Maybe we should put this ol' thread up on blocks and try to jump start it next year during the draft.

Verdict

Reaction score
Rack said:

Are you saying that if Payton Manning was in an identical siutation as Quincy Carter today that some team would not make room for him? In my opinion that is a fallacy. Think about how badly qbs are in demand. The Fins gave up a premium draft pick for A.J. FEELY for pete's sake and Quincy was a starter, not a backup.

Verdict

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
To my way of looking at it, I am truly excited knowing that last year we had a starting QB that no one wants and yet, we made the playoffs. Imagine how far we would have gotten with an average QB.

So, I see this as forward looking optimism....rather than "I told ya so" face rubbing. :D

It does give one a renewed sense of optimism doesn't it? :D

zack

Reaction score
Verdict said:
Carter has NO talent, but I think your changing KISS signature line is as cool as I've seen.

Thanks. It great to discuss this stuff. I guess we will all have to agree to disagree.

Ben_n_austin111

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Was Kerry Collins ever in the substance abuse program after he got in trouble in New Orleans...I really do not know.

Brett Favre had a drug problem - Vicodin.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Rack said:

College players with a history or suspicion of drug abuse have been highly sought after in the draft. Players like Brian Bosworth, Warren Sapp, and Randy Moss come to mind. Keep in mind that these were college players who had yet to prove themselves at the professional level. And the reason they took chances on players with these dubious past histories is because teams felt they had something to offer. Therefore, if teams were willing to take a chance on an uproven commodity coming out of college then I hardly see why they wouldn't take a chance on a player with 3 years of professional experience if they genuinely felt he had something to offer. I hardly think that in todays sports teams will shy away from a talented player just because he failed a drug test. The NFL already stated that Quincy was under no suspension so I fail to see how you can argue that he will "miss 4 games."

One confirmed failed drug test isn't going to scare any team away if that player can help them win a Superbowl. Teams do this all the time. How many times was Bam Morris re-signed in the NFL despite being jailed for drug trafficking. Face it, Quincy Carter was an average to above average quarterback. Teams were only interested in him as a backup at best. Quincy wants to start and many teams don't want to bother with a player who is probably going to bolt for free agency after a year anyway. Throw in the fact that he isn't very good and you can see why it took this long to sign him. It's sad that Quincy supporters can't own up to the truth especially after his own team cut him. Quincy was recently signed by the Jets as a backup. So I guess the history of drug abuse didn't seem to scare the Jets away.

Message to Quincy Supporters: you guys lost this argument! Have enough manhood to admit you were wrong about Quincy.