A new pope has been selected...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
White smoke, bells announce pope selection

Associated Press

VATICAN CITY-- White smoke poured from a chimney at the Vatican and bells tolled this evening, announcing to the world that a new pope was elected in the first papal conclave of the new millennium.

Crowds in the square chanted: ``Viva il Papa!'' or ``Long live the pope!''

``It's only been 24 hours, surprising how fast he was elected,'' Vatican Radio said, commenting on how the new pope was elected after just four or five ballots.

More pilgrims streamed into St. Peter's Square, and the bells were still pealing 10 minutes after the original tolling.

The new pope, whose identity was still unknown, was to appear later on the main balcony of the basilica to deliver his first public address.

Earlier today, several thousand pilgrims and tourists who packed St. Peter's Square to stare at the slender stovepipe jutting from the chapel's brown tiled rooftop gasped when black smoke appeared just before noon. The 115 voting cardinals sequestered in the chapel broke for lunch and reconvened in midafternoon for the day's final session of secret balloting.

White smoke — and the pealing of bells shortly afterward — eventually told the world that the church's 265th pontiff has been chosen to succeed John Paul, who died April 2 at age 84.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3142158

joseephuss

Reaction score
Joseph Ratzinger of Germany

Isn't he the one that was in Hitler's youth program?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Joseph Ratzinger of Germany

Isn't he the one that was in Hitler's youth program?

That's him... and the media will be all over that... well... they already are...

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Hey Naaaawmmmmyyyy (Norm)

Seriously, is this guy old school or more new world with his views? Just wondering if they will ever let Priest's marry so they can stop touching little boys.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Hey Naaaawmmmmyyyy (Norm)

Seriously, is this guy old school or more new world with his views? Just wondering if they will ever let Priest's marry so they can stop touching little boys.

He is described as very hardline... they say there will be no movement from the conservative path that John Paul II followed...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy just turned 78 years old....the one that just passed was 84 at the time of his death yet served for over 20 years.

You would think they would want a guy that was at least in his early 60's to be the pope instead of someone almost 80 already.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The new pope coming out on the balcony.

capt.lon11904191655.vatican_pope_lon119.jpg

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The guy just turned 78 years old....the one that just passed was 84 at the time of his death yet served for over 20 years.

You would think they would want a guy that was at least in his early 60's to be the pope instead of someone almost 80 already.

Actually, no. The Catholic Church thought the previous Pope actually was in power too long. They prefer a shorter time as Pope.

I read this somewhere anyway, don't have a link.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
trickblue said:
He is described as very hardline... they say there will be no movement from the conservative path that John Paul II followed...

Well, I won't be going to Church anytime soon then. I can't support this type of thinking and idealism.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Check him out: he's raising the roof:

_KKBMV-,KD3-JGZP-BZ}UQ.jpg

RAISE IT BABY RAISE IT...

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Well, I won't be going to Church anytime soon then. I can't support this type of thinking and idealism.

If you won't be going to church because of a Pope...then you got bigger problems then the Pope IMO.

I don't go to church but it has nothing to do with who the "Pope" is at the time...and even if I did go to church it would not be the catholic church, no offense to catholics but even when I was a christian it was just not my cup of tea so to speak. :cool: