A positive view for the rest of the season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not a guy who favors intentional tanking. I think that injects a cultural cancer that’s hard to root out. We already have enough issues with this culture. Play hard every game., every play.

But...Seriously, we aren’t winning the NFC Least this year. So why not try to win every game while also seeing what you have in some of these guys?
  • Bradlee Anae
  • Reggie Robinson
  • Eli Ankou- worth a 7th round pick, let’s see a lot of him right now.
  • Neville Gallimore
  • All three backup QBs- The Nooch, Gilbert and Rush (in that order) Are any of the three a backup worth keeping? Or developing for a trade?
  • Joe Thomas- not a rookie but still worth more reps. (Instead of Sean Lee)
  • Some of the guys from the practice squad. Too many to mention
  • Fortunately, we’re already getting good reps for Diggs, and Lamb.
  • Get more reps for Cedric Wilson and Noah Brown. They seem to be developing. Maybe one or both could develop to be a future starter here or to make a trade for a future pick, which would be a long shot.
Here are the guys IMO we don’t need to see anymore because they steal reps from young guys that could develop:
  • Ty Crawford- he’s pathetic. He’s getting road graded weekly. Cut him or bench him.
  • Sean Lee- hate to say, because I have great respect for him, but he’s the past, not the future.
  • Andy Dalton- Since we aren’t in a realistic playoff hunt anymore, why waste reps on a guy that won’t be here next year and doesn’t help us get better? He’s a decent backup. Which would be great for a contender. We’re not a contender anymore.
To me, playing the youngsters to see what can be developed or not, is what can make the rest of this dumpster fire of a season more fun. Please no more guys that aren’t the future.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We can tank and still play hard..

It starts with cutting Dalton and starting Dennucci. <--- I haven't learned how to correctly spell his name yet and I don't feel like it's worth learning either.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m not a guy who favors intentional tanking. I think that injects a cultural cancer that’s hard to root out. We already have enough issues with this culture. Play hard every game., every play.
Here are the guys IMO we don’t need to see anymore because they steal reps from young guys that could develop:
  • Ty Crawford- he’s pathetic. He’s getting road graded weekly. Cut him or bench him.
  • Sean Lee- hate to say, because I have great respect for him, but he’s the past, not the future.
  • Andy Dalton- Since we aren’t in a realistic playoff hunt anymore, why waste reps on a guy that won’t be here next year and doesn’t help us get better? He’s a decent backup. Which would be great for a contender. We’re not a contender anymore.
To me, playing the youngsters to see what can be developed or not, is what can make the rest of this dumpster fire of a season more fun. Please no more guys that aren’t the future.

Cutting crawford and lee are ok but I wouldn't cut dalton. I don't know if Dalton can get a massive contract but if you can get him playing well he might earn a decent contract with another team netting you a late round comp pick.

ESisback

Reaction score

But...Seriously, we aren’t winning the NFC Least this year. So why not try to win every game while also seeing what you have in some of these guys?
  • Bradlee Anae
  • Reggie Robinson
  • Neville Gallimore
  • All three backup QBs- The Nooch, Gilbert and Rush (in that order) Are any of the three a backup worth keeping? Or developing for a trade?
  • Get more reps for Cedric Wilson and Noah Brown. They seem to be developing. Maybe one or both could develop to be a future starter here or to make a trade for a future pick, which would be a long shot.

As usual, well thought out, Hazey! I concur, especially with benching the “Past It Posse” in favor of developing youngsters.

CowboyMort

Reaction score

• Bradlee Anae
  • Reggie Robinson
  • Neville Gallimore

I 100% agree. Just two other thoughts that have been stuck in my brain.

There must be something with Robinson that they don't like. He has not been activated yet this year (I think), so maybe he really sucks. I know that they weren't impressed with him at CB and maybe he is just slow to pick up the safety position. If you connect the dots, it may not be a positive.

I was thinking about Sean Lee. He is supposed to be a really smart player, so maybe he can help some of the defensive guys with some of the defensive calls, reads and alignments. Not saying that he should play every pay or anything, but there has been a lot of talk about him being a "coach on the field" type of guy. Possibly he can help LVE or others learn the cerebral parts of the game.

Verdict

Reaction score
I 100% agree. Just two other thoughts that have been stuck in my brain.

There must be something with Robinson that they don't like. He has not been activated yet this year (I think), so maybe he really sucks. I know that they weren't impressed with him at CB and maybe he is just slow to pick up the safety position. If you connect the dots, it may not be a positive.

I was thinking about Sean Lee. He is supposed to be a really smart player, so maybe he can help some of the defensive guys with some of the defensive calls, reads and alignments. Not saying that he should play every pay or anything, but there has been a lot of talk about him being a "coach on the field" type of guy. Possibly he can help LVE or others learn the cerebral parts of the game.
Pay him to be an actual coach, and fill his roster spot with someone else.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

• Bradlee Anae
  • Reggie Robinson
  • Neville Gallimore

I'm positive this team will finish 4-12, at best.

aikemirv

Reaction score

• Bradlee Anae
  • Reggie Robinson
  • Neville Gallimore

The positive view for me is that is almost halfway over - hallelujah!

Whyjerry

Reaction score

• Bradlee Anae
  • Reggie Robinson
  • Neville Gallimore

Bob doing what Bob does. Spot on analysis. As a sports fan I love youth movements. It’s like cleaning out the sock drawer. Looks and feels good when you get rid of all those undesirable socks. I am a NY Rangers fan and I love watching a young team build. Someone mentioned Fields in another post. If that’s the route let’s tear it all down and see what we have with these young guys. Nothing to lose, insights to gain.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We can tank and still play hard..

It starts with cutting Dalton and starting Dennucci. <--- I haven't learned how to correctly spell his name yet and I don't feel like it's worth learning either.
That 89 team was not at all some tank situation (it wasnt even an actual thing until the Cubs and Astros did it IMO).

Many....very many in fact....of the championship teams players were on that team.

Also, they didnt have their own 1st round pick that year anyway. It was used on Steve Walsh that summer. They had nothing to tank for.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

• Bradlee Anae
  • Reggie Robinson
  • Neville Gallimore

Where as I completely agree with you on intentionally tanking games and injecting the wrong type of culture and as much as many of us would like to see what some of the younger inexperienced players can do, the league closely watches losing teams to see if they are actually trying to win or just trying to get the best draft pick they can get. The league which doesn't have any emotional ties with a team can look at a team and say, hmm, they have players with lots of NFL experience and know what the speed of the game is and has seen more things but this team is treating these games like it's the preseason just auditioning their young players. They're really not really trying to win games so to prevent teams from actually not really try to win games we're going to take their 1st round pick in next years draft and since they starter doing this for the entire second half of the season we're going to also take their 2nd round pick too. As much as we may want to see what these young player can do, unless the Cowboys want to risk losing draft picks in next years draft, we'll just have to wait until the preseason next year.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Cutting crawford and lee are ok but I wouldn't cut dalton. I don't know if Dalton can get a massive contract but if you can get him playing well he might earn a decent contract with another team netting you a late round comp pick.

Even if he plays fantastic it won't get the Cowboys a compensatory pick. I read an article a year or two ago where a guy on the NFL management council who decide what teams get what compensatory picks. He said that players that sign 1 year deals and then leave after that year and when that contract length and amount is entered in the formula they end up with such a low score and because there is a limit number of compensatory picks awarded each year, those teams that lost those 1 year deal players never get any compensatory picks.