A positive view for the rest of the season

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever you think you know about compensatory picks, you obvious haven't picked up that there is a very complicated formula that is used to determine which teams get what or how many of the LIMITED number of compensatory picks awarded each year. Now just one piece of info that gets loaded in the formula used on EVERY free agent is the players last contract and it's length and amount.

Now when a person that works with the group of people that developed this formula that makes the decision on what compensatory picks get awarded and he says that a certain type of player, one that signed a 1 year contract and leaves ends up with such a low score from the formula that is used for EVERY free agent, that compensatory picks are never awarded for those players. If there was unlimited number of compensatory picks awarded then I guessing those 1 year players would result in compensatory picks , but there isn't unlimited number of picks every year.

Again I doubt that your FACTUAL knowledge on compensatory picks is equal to or greater than someone that actually is involved in the process every year. and therefore I will believe what that person who is with the NFL management council says over what you think.

I don't care that you believe them over me. And yes I know there are only so many awarded. Not worth arguing over actually, so I will leave it at that.
We should get 4 comp picks as to the way it stands now. Should be a 3rd and 4th round pick, and possibly a 5th, and a 6th or 7th, could be another 5th. Depends on incentives and final numbers.
I do not think any player we lost was a 1 year deal to be concerned over in this formula.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
ontract lengthn
I don't care that you believe them over me. And yes I know there are only so many awarded. Not worth arguing over actually, so I will leave it at that.
We should get 4 comp picks as to the way it stands now. Should be a 3rd and 4th round pick, and possibly a 5th, and a 6th or 7th, could be another 5th. Depends on incentives and final numbers.
I do not think any player we lost was a 1 year deal to be concerned over in this formula.

First off my comment was a reply to a user that thought that if or when Dalton returns and has a good showing that the Cowboys might get a compensatory pick for him and thus my reply from an article written that quoted a person on NFL management council which is the group that created the formula used to determine what teams get awarded compensatory picks. I have not said a single word about what compensatory picks the Cowboys may get in the up coming draft for one HUGE reason. Me like EVERYONE here have ZERO knowledge of what that formulas in it's ENTIRETY is and therefore can only guess. Also those compensatory picks are determined from the free agent movement the off season before so even if that guy was wrong about 1 year deal players, what happens with Dalton wouldn't even be of any relevance until the draft after the 2021 season.

Now if it makes you happy to guess what compensatory picks the Cowboys may get, knock your socks off but just remember if your guesses are wrong there is that very long and multi part formula that you don't know. I am curious on just why the Cowboys are getting the picks you think they will get.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One problem with the view, it's through the eyes of the owner/son and not the fans.

The fans of the Dallas Cowboys are the last sled dog in the harness, nothing but aholes in front of us. And they're making more aholes to keep this going.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ontract lengthn

First off my comment was a reply to a user that thought that if or when Dalton returns and has a good showing that the Cowboys might get a compensatory pick for him and thus my reply from an article written that quoted a person on NFL management council which is the group that created the formula used to determine what teams get awarded compensatory picks. I have not said a single word about what compensatory picks the Cowboys may get in the up coming draft for one HUGE reason. Me like EVERYONE here have ZERO knowledge of what that formulas in it's ENTIRETY is and therefore can only guess. Also those compensatory picks are determined from the free agent movement the off season before so even if that guy was wrong about 1 year deal players, what happens with Dalton wouldn't even be of any relevance until the draft after the 2021 season.

Now if it makes you happy to guess what compensatory picks the Cowboys may get, knock your socks off but just remember if your guesses are wrong there is that very long and multi part formula that you don't know. I am curious on just why the Cowboys are getting the picks you think they will get.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

[URL]https://overthecap.com/2021-compensatory-draft-picks-update-4-29-2020/
[/URL]

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

the last one explains the cap formula.
This mentions AdamJT13 that posted on here for years about the comp picks and was always correct.

I had these bookmarked, so
have fun

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/
https://overthecap.com/2021-compensatory-draft-picks-update-4-29-2020/

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

the last one explains the cap formula.
This mentions AdamJT13 that posted on here for years about the comp picks and was always correct.

I had these bookmarked, so
have fun

I will sit corrected on the point that I didn't know that as part of the new CBA the formula was made public. I based everything that I said from an article like 2 years ago about (I don't remember his name) a man who at the time was on the NFL Management council and had explain how some teams get compensatory picks while other teams do not. He made reference to the very complicated formula that is used to determine the picks and after each free agent's info is entered into the formula it is given a score and the highest scores qualify teams for compensatory picks. He used players who sign 1 year deals and then leave and go to another team as players that after their info is entered in the formula in particular their contract last length and amount along with the rest of the info that completes the formula their score end up low enough that their former team does not receive a compensatory pick for them.

I did notice that on two of your OTC links for the 2021 draft, the 1st and 2nd ones that are listing what they say will be the compensatory picks they contradict each other. On the 1st link they list 4 players the Cowboys will get compensatory picks for but on the 2nd link for the same year they list different players. On the 1st link they list Jones, Quinn, Cobb and Witten but on the 2nd link they show Jones, Quinn, Cobb and Heath not Witten. So I was going to say that maybe OTA had figured out the formula prior to it being made public but when they state in one place state who the players are and then state different players in another place I'm not sold that they are the end all be all of knowing who the compensatory picks are prior to the NFL announcing them. So I'm going to stick with what I read that someone that actually was with the NFL management council said.

One last thing when you said "This mentions AdamJT13 that posted on here for years" are you saying here on Cowboys Zone or was that reference to posting elsewhere.?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will sit corrected on the point that I didn't know that as part of the new CBA the formula was made public. I based everything that I said from an article like 2 years ago about (I don't remember his name) a man who at the time was on the NFL Management council and had explain how some teams get compensatory picks while other teams do not. He made reference to the very complicated formula that is used to determine the picks and after each free agent's info is entered into the formula it is given a score and the highest scores qualify teams for compensatory picks. He used players who sign 1 year deals and then leave and go to another team as players that after their info is entered in the formula in particular their contract last length and amount along with the rest of the info that completes the formula their score end up low enough that their former team does not receive a compensatory pick for them.

I did notice that on two of your OTC links for the 2021 draft, the 1st and 2nd ones that are listing what they say will be the compensatory picks they contradict each other. On the 1st link they list 4 players the Cowboys will get compensatory picks for but on the 2nd link for the same year they list different players. On the 1st link they list Jones, Quinn, Cobb and Witten but on the 2nd link they show Jones, Quinn, Cobb and Heath not Witten. So I was going to say that maybe OTA had figured out the formula prior to it being made public but when they state in one place state who the players are and then state different players in another place I'm not sold that they are the end all be all of knowing who the compensatory picks are prior to the NFL announcing them. So I'm going to stick with what I read that someone that actually was with the NFL management council said.

One last thing when you said "This mentions AdamJT13 that posted on here for years" are you saying here on Cowboys Zone or was that reference to posting elsewhere.?

AdamJT13 posted here on the CZ for years, maybe 2 or 3 years ago he stopped or reduced posting. Maybe a bit longer, not sure.

I did notice that about Heath / Witten. Maybe they have not updated it, as I think one said last updated in April. I think this difference has to do that we released McCoy due to his injury. Or maybe it was by releasing Clinton Dix.

Anyway, those are a few places to get a good reference of comp picks. I am sure some of those may move around, based on incentives.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
Lee is a smart football guy but this is a new complicated convoluted defense that Lee has never played in before and so what makes you think Lee knows where everyone is supposed to be and do more than someone that has at least been playing in games in this defense?

On this team if Sean Lee cannot figure it out then we will never have 11 guys that understand it.........

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
On this team if Sean Lee cannot figure it out then we will never have 11 guys that understand it.........

There's a difference between the players knowing the playbook which probably most of them do and knowing the defense like it's second nature and reacting without having to take that split second to think first before reacting which all that's needed on many plays for the defense to give up yards and stopping a team. Lee is a very smart football guy but what has helped to get that reputation was playing the same defense for years and knowing it so well. This is a new defense for him and as smart as he is I thinking he'll master it with time, but he's had so little time playing in this defense and there comes a time when playing time comes more beneficial than just studying a playbook.