A preseason tale of two teams...

yennor24

Reaction score
I watched their games and they were talking about the vanilla looks they were giving, but every team does that, and they were blitzn...Im not surprised by a new offense and no Portis struggling, I am surprised that they are struggling on D

firehawk350

Reaction score
cobra said:
It's almost as if you are intentionally not reading what we are actually saying in order to avoid having to respond to it. And instead, you are choosing to argue something no one is saying.

Poor ability to evaluate something? No wonder you are a Skins fan.

Yeah okay, the point of this thread is to prove statistical superiority (as it started off with statistics) of the Cowboys over the Skins. I'm saying that stats mean absolutely nothing in the preseason, and individual performances only slightly more so. The preseason is for evaluting individuals, not schemes and units.
And for Superpunk, the Skins started out slow??? Well what's that to say about the Cowboys, who were beat by the Skins in Week 2??? Your argument that preseason builds momentum (if indeed that was your point) into the season is false. Starting 3-0 (all three teams we beat were quality teams) isn't what I would call a slow start.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
cobra said:
It's almost as if you are intentionally not reading what we are actually saying in order to avoid having to respond to it. And instead, you are choosing to argue something no one is saying.

You know, there's a reason the strawman didn't have a brain in "The Wizard of Oz."

firehawk350

Reaction score
yennor24 said:
I watched their games and they were talking about the vanilla looks they were giving, but every team does that, and they were blitzn...Im not surprised by a new offense and no Portis struggling, I am surprised that they are struggling on D

I'm not really surprised we are struggling on D. We are missing two very key pieces in the defense, Shawn Springs and Griffin. And we have been asking all corners to single cover to see what they can do. Not a good idea against Tom Brady...

superpunk

Reaction score
firehawk350 said:
Yeah okay, the point of this thread is to prove statistical superiority (as it started off with statistics) of the Cowboys over the Skins. I'm saying that stats mean absolutely nothing in the preseason, and individual performances only slightly more so. The preseason is for evaluting individuals, not schemes and units.
And for Superpunk, the Skins started out slow??? Well what's that to say about the Cowboys, who were beat by the Skins in Week 2??? Your argument that preseason builds momentum (if indeed that was your point) into the season is false. Starting 3-0 (all three teams we beat were quality teams) isn't what I would call a slow start.

I guess you don't remember how close you were to losing all three of those games.

I guess you don't remember what your record was after 11 games.

No worries. I'm sure lord Gibbs will cook up another run to end the season, as the Skins pathetic depth is called on more and more.

Watch the games, fella. The Skins are a bad team right now, and it has nothing to do with stats. The Cowboys are a good team right now, and it has nothing to do with stats. It is just a coincidence, that those trends are reflected in the stats.

cowboynDC

Reaction score
Here in DC on sports talk 980 John Thompson Show - Rick (Doc) Walker a former 'skin (1983 SB champs-Gibbs era) is comparing this preseason to that year (he hopes).

Lost in the preseason, but won it all in the end. His pipe dream is that they are working so hard on the complex offense that it is effecting their ability to come out and execute a vanilla effectively. I'm not sure how that explains the big hole in the "D".

John (Basketball man) and Smokin' Al Koken (mediot) questioned the need for the team to show some ability to do something positive to bring confidence to each other as players. Seems that chemistry and timing aren't really necessary for such a great team, with so much talent. They will come out in Sept. and everything will just fall into place (possible ???). A slow start this season (for any NFC East) will mean watching the playoffs from home.

firehawk350

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I guess you don't remember how close you were to losing all three of those games.

I think you forget that a good team pulls out the close ones and bad ones lose them. We destroyed the Bears' offense with solid defensive plays, I remember it being 3 and 35 when Griffin stipped the ball and ended the game. I dont think that qualifies as being close.
We all remember the Dallas game, but you forget you had two possessions after the last score in which you got just flat out stopped. We had a defense that held, you didn't.
And Seahawks missed a FG by an upright, but that happens... We had a blocked kick in the beginning... FGs are not automatic.

superpunk said:
I guess you don't remember what your record was after 11 games.

5-6... and the cowboys were 7-4. But lets see, one fell apart because of one injury, supposedly and the other rallied and made the playoffs. I don't see how that proves the cowboys are better. Maybe if we played an 11 game season, but sorry, we play 16.

superpunk said:
No worries. I'm sure lord Gibbs will cook up another run to end the season, as the Skins pathetic depth is called on more and more.

Let me tell you the tale of two teams... One had an early bye week but despite it, still finished strong. The other had an 8th week bye (I may be off on that, sorry) but still couldn't pull it together, despite being 2 games ahead of that other team halfway through the season. Who do you think is going to end strongest this year? Oh yeah, the Boys have an early bye this year and the skins have an 8th week bye.

superpunkWatch the games said:
Watch the games fellas, and if you think your seeing what the skins will look like come week 1, you need to take your blue and silver glasses off.

firehawk350

Reaction score
cowboynDC said:
A slow start this season (for any NFC East) will mean watching the playoffs from home.

No, there is no 3 or 4 game stretch that will eliminate a team from the playoffs. Just about every team goes though a tough spot and loses a couple in a row, just because that's at the beginning of the season doesnt mean that they are going to be watching the playoffs at home.

superpunk

Reaction score
See firehawk, that's the problem with you and every other skins homer that comes on here. You're trying to draw parallels with last year. Last year's over, little fella. We've been trying to show you how ridiculous those comparisons are, by way of doing them ourselves, but you're just not seeing it. I'm glad you believe the great Gibbs can flip a switch week 1 and the Skins will just stop sucking. I'm glad you think the Cowboys have not addressed the depth problems that led to their collapse last year. (One injury, lol...) The Commanders are injured right now, and that lack of depth has them looking pathetic. The Cowboys are upset because their team is too dominant. It's definitely a tale of two teams. Hug that Joe Gibbs prayer book tighter, homer.

MossBurner

Reaction score
superpunk said:
It's incredibly easy to knock arguments down when you created them yourself, and noone else is arguing against you.

Bottom line is this, IMO. The Skins and Steelers (since tehy are so fond of pointing to last years preseason) had bad preseasons last year. What happened? They started slowly. The Skins barely beat the Bears, Seahawks, and Cowboys. They were that close to being 2-9, or 3-7. They CANNOT afford that slow start this year. So take solace in last years results all you want skins fans. Don't count on a repeat.

Close wins against #1, #2, and #7 in the conference. I'll take those all day long. Starting slowly at 3-0 is okay by me too.

superpunk

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Close wins against #1, #2, and #7 in the conference. I'll take those all day long. Starting slowly at 3-0 is okay by me too.

In what universe does any of that matter this year?

If you want to count on the Skins starting weak and finishing strong, be my guest. Right now, the results on the field say the Skins are a bad, thin team. And there's no area of that team that you can look at and say "They're looking pretty good, we've got reason to hope." The Cowboys are the exact opposite. Have a good time with your hope, though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I love how the title of the thread goes right over red and yellow heads.

:lmao2:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I love how the title of the thread goes right over red and yellow heads.

:lmao2:

I like the squeals of protest at being given the statistical facts...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
firehawk350 said:
The preseason is for evaluting individuals, not schemes and units.

Then the individuals who produced those stats need to be sent packing.

Gruesome!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
These deadskins don't get it! They are looking at the record, in which I could care less about. I look at basic things from the 1st team.

I look at, can you protect your QB, we did that. Can you complete simple outs and ins, we did that too.

Can we run simple sweeps and off tackle runs, we did that.

Can we pick up the blitz, we more than did that.

Can we get to the QB.... I think we did okay considering we've only blitz about 1% of the time thru out the entire pre-season.

Can we cover 1 on 1, we've more than done that.

Who cares what the final score is. We've played vanilla ball all the way thru, and the only clue we've given up on offense, is that we're going to be running a ton of sweeps and pitch outs. But you still have to stop it.

So when it comes down to basic execution, we've done that, deadskins haven't.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gibbs is doing a very good job...

:dissskin: Good dog....! Hide that bone, Gibbs...

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
Yeah he is out on the field showing players how to do lateral movements at practice, he may be even throwing a few passes.

silverbear

Reaction score
firehawk350 said:
Yeah okay, the point of this thread is to prove statistical superiority (as it started off with statistics) of the Cowboys over the Skins.

As the man who initiated this thread, I can state with complete certainty that you're absolutely right about that...

I'm saying that stats mean absolutely nothing in the preseason, and individual performances only slightly more so. The preseason is for evaluting individuals, not schemes and units.

And what the stats show is that your team has been gettin' beat all over the place in those individual matchups... this should be cause for concern, for a knowledgeable Skins fan (and indeed, in a poll conducted on Commanders.com, 55 per cent of your fellow fans said they WERE worried)...

silverbear

Reaction score
firehawk350 said:
I'm not really surprised we are struggling on D. We are missing two very key pieces in the defense, Shawn Springs and Griffin.

Which just points up what we've been saying all along, that the Skins' Achilles heel is their lack of quality depth...

You reckon either one of them is gonna be anywhere near 100 per cent when our two teams meet up in week two??

silverbear

Reaction score
firehawk350 said:
Let me tell you the tale of two teams... One had an early bye week but despite it, still finished strong. The other had an 8th week bye (I may be off on that, sorry) but still couldn't pull it together, despite being 2 games ahead of that other team halfway through the season.

Now, how 'bout we tell the WHOLE story??

The team that finished strong stayed remarkably healthy right up to near the end of the season... going into game 14, it had exactly ONE player put on injured reserve during the course of the season (David Patten)... and once the injuries started to stack up, the quality of their play deteriorated rapidly...

Meanwhile, the team that couldn't pull it together lost their two time Pro Bowl offensive tackle six weeks into the season, and not one but two starting linebackers before the midway point of that season, one of them their spiritual leader... but hey, why would a team that has just switched to a 3-4 defense need experienced, quality linebackers...

The ONLY difference between our two teams last year was that the Skins stayed somewhat healthier somewhat longer...

Who do you think is going to end strongest this year?

The one that stays the healthiest, or that has the best depth... on that latter score, I'd say the Boys have a clear and undeniable edge... at least, you complain about Portis and Springs missing time in preseason, but we've also had players miss much if not all of the preseason, and our depth has kept us rolling right along...

Terrell Owens, hasn't played a single preseason game...

Marcus Spears, hasn't played a single preseason game...

Mike Vanderjagt, hasn't played a single preseason game...

Patrick Crayton, the Cowboys' 3rd WR, has missed the last two preseason games...

And the Cowboys haven't missed a beat... the good news is all of those players are back at practice, and barring further setbacks, should be good to go to start the regular season... of course, the Cowboys will be even better with their availability...

Watch the games fellas, and if you think your seeing what the skins will look like come week 1, you need to take your blue and silver glasses off.

LOL... it's nothing more than blind faith, aka homerism, that has you so convinced that the Skins can just magically turn it on when the regular season rolls around... you have seen NOTHING from this team to give you confidence that they're ready to start the games that count...