A question about the QB

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I know, another Dak Prescott thread but this one isn't really about him, it's about your perception of him as the DC QB.

Has your perception changed and why?

I am one of the few that watched him throughout his days at Miss St from being the starter as a junior, because I watch a lot of SEC, and his story connected with me as I had lost the person closest to me to the same monster.

He got on the Heisman watch because of his legs and the better defenses in the SEC took that away from him his senior season and forced him into more of a pocket QB. He did not look comfortable to me.

He got picked in the 4th, about where I thought he should go because accuracy on a consistent basis was not his game.

I was aware of how he got his HS and college starting jobs in the same manner but also intrigued as to why the starter couldn't take the job back. Little did I know this 4th rounder, longshot to not be on the PS to start the season, was to repeat what he did with Dallas as he did in HS and college.

I am not in either of the extreme camps regarding him, I am somewhere in the middle but I used to think just as Aikman did, you can't fix accuracy and he hasn't to the point of being Brady or Rodgers but he most definitely has improved in that area. He will still make those errant throws but what QB doesn't?

I am just interested to see how many are in that camp with me? Because that QB that started 2020 didn't even resemble that QB I watched at Miss St. Not even remotely.

I have seen this man work on his game and improve every season and I am intrigued as to where is his ceiling? How good can he be?

BTW, this isn't about how much he's being paid because I don't care about that. They had few options to signing him and this is just about how has your perception of him and his talent changed since he became a Cowboy.

817Gill

Reaction score
He’s definitely a completely different passer now than in 2016. A lot better footwork/release (hips) and it’s clear he can make every pass in the book.

I like Dak, but to be a top 5 guy he’s gotta be more consistent on a quarter to quarter basis. If he can put 4 quarters together more often I think he can take the step from good to great.

He’s done the work to improve the skills, now it’s just a matter of displaying them consistently.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes, I know, another Dak Prescott thread but this one isn't really about him, it's about your perception of him as the DC QB.

I am one of the few that watched him throughout his days at Miss St from being the starter as a junior, because I watch a lot of SEC, and his story connected with me as I had lost the person closest to me to the same monster.

He got on the Heisman watch because of his legs and the better defenses in the SEC took that away from him his senior season and forced him into more of a pocket QB. He did not look comfortable to me.

He got picked in the 4th, about where I thought he should go because accuracy on a consistent basis was not his game.

I was aware of how he got his HS and college starting jobs in the same manner but also intrigued as to why the starter couldn't take the job back. Little did I know this 4th rounder, longshot to not be on the PS to start the season, was to repeat what he did with Dallas as he did in HS and college.

I am not in either of the extreme camps regarding him, I am somewhere in the middle but I used to think just as Aikman did, you can't fix accuracy and he hasn't to the point of being Brady or Rodgers but he most definitely has improved in that area. He will still make those errant throws but what QB doesn't?

I am just interested to see how many are in that camp with me? Because that QB that started 2020 didn't even resemble that QB I watched at Miss St. Not even remotely.

I have seen this man work on his game and improve every season and I am intrigued as to where is his ceiling? How good can he be?

BTW, this isn't about how much he's being paid because I don't care about that. They had few options to signing him and this is just about how has your perception of him and his talent changed since he became a Cowboy.
You summarize pretty well where I am right now.

Makes me less popular with the top 5 or bottom 10 crew, but whatever.

:flagwave:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's my opinion that he never face(d) the same competition or big games as other college QB's.

I use zeke as my crowning achievement of NCAA achievement. The 2014 national championship....he face the top 5 teams in all of the NCAA of that year. . Michigan, Wisconsin, the mighty Bama and the media darling Ducks.

The first "playoff" of the NCAA.

He put like 750 yards, 8 tds in the final 2. Against the very best the NCAA had.

Dak?

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
@CouchCoach did you really just ask about our feelings on Dak? I feel just fine about Dak unless he fails to get us to the Super Bowl in the next few years.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I have the same perception of him now that I had of him his rookie season. If we can put the right pieces around him and not ask him to throw the ball 35-40 times a game we can 100% win a Super Bowl with him as our QB. I don't believe we can sustain success with him trying to play like Mahomes or Rodgers every week, but if he can play like 97/98 John Elway or 2013 Russell Wilson we can absolutely make some serious noise.

Scotman

Reaction score
I am almost exactly where you are. I started off not caring for his game much but really liking the person. I loved, and still love, his leadership.

The contract, for me, has definitely soured me a little bit on him. His game has drastically improved. The contract does weigh into it for me on the personal level. I think it was short-sighted on his part.

Overall, happier today that I was in 2016. Won't be satisfied with him if his contract keeps us from yielding a championship team.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am almost exactly where you are. I started off not caring for his game much but really liking the person. I loved, and still love, his leadership.

The contract, for me, has definitely soured me a little bit on him. His game has drastically improved. The contract does weigh into it for me on the personal level. I think it was short-sighted on his part.

Overall, happier today that I was in 2016. Won't be satisfied with him if his contract keeps us from yielding a championship team.
"the person"?

You give a sheet about "the person"?

Like..dude...just play football. These players are not my friends or moral compass.

Of course it's really cool if their public persona is "cool". Easy to do with millions $$ and organization that helps. Harder to do with NOTHING. But people DO. Where are THEIR "liking the person"?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

The few times I do,, I criticize Aikman because he is dead wrong with his belief that you can't improve your accuracy as a passer. He's 100% wrong about that.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m pretty much where I was with previous QB. Like this one a bit more but I’ve seen him elevate his game every year and had he not got injured last year I think we would have won division then for our ***** kicked because of the defense and records would have been broke .

this QB is without a doubt able to excel at the highest level and has done so everywhere he’s been and outside of the big uglies up front is the most important player in this roster

Scotman

Reaction score
"the person"?

You give a sheet about "the person"?

Like..dude...just play football. These players are not my friends or moral compass.

Of course it's really cool if their public persona is "cool". Easy to do with millions $$ and organization that helps. Harder to do with NOTHING. But people DO. Where are THEIR "liking the person"?

Yes, the person. I liked the things I heard about him as a person. It may not matter to you, but I'm not alone in being interested in the players who play for the team I follow. Especially when that can impact whether or not they develop.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Most here like qualitative discussion with lots of copy paste facts. Here you are asking for touchy feely stuff about how one feels about the player. Oh my. This thread maybe 100 posts long. You mention college Dak and his running. It by far is what stood out before he was drafted. I welcomed that becuz Romo was losing his mobility when Dak showed up. With his ankle injury I think we will see alot more change in his game having to read defenses more. We shall see. But for now I am tired of talking. I want to see football. Shoot me.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yes, the person. I liked the things I heard about him as a person. It may not matter to you, but I'm not alone in being interested in the players who play for the team I follow. Especially when that can impact whether or not they develop.
You’re not alone a persons conduct and leadership and persona is important

I liked TO the player but he was a diykhead. Greg Hardy was an ok player piece of crap person.

Zeke is a good player not exactly the type person to have a good persona

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It's my opinion that he never face(d) the same competition or big games as other college QB's.

I use zeke as my crowning achievement of NCAA achievement. The 2014 national championship....he face the top 5 teams in all of the NCAA of that year. . Michigan, Wisconsin, the mighty Bama and the media darling Ducks.

The first "playoff" of the NCAA.

He put like 750 yards, 8 tds in the final 2. Against the very best the NCAA had.

Dak?

]It's my opinion that he never face(d) the same competition or big games as other college QB's.

I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear what conference you believe has the most competition.....

starfan1

Reaction score
]It's my opinion that he never face(d) the same competition or big games as other college QB's.

I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear what conference you believe has the most competetion.....
You’re wasting you’re time he’s got a Ron Jeremy sized woody for zeke and OSU and the 2014 run.
I looked at that just shook my head .

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear what conference you believe has the most competition.....

I already told ya...zeke facing the top 3-5 teams in the whole NCAA to win the NC.

Sorry you can't accept reality. Poor thing.