A question for our resident historians

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was looking over some stats as I am wont to do and I noticed a huge dropoff in offensive points scored for the Cowboys 1996 season. In glancing at the roster and coaches, I didn't notice a huge changes anywhere in coaching or key players missing many games with injury. In looking at the players and coaches it was surprising to see how truly ineffective they were in scoring points.

Does anyone remember back to that time period who can offer any suggestions or insight as to why what looks like a still very talented team would perform so poorly? Is there something I'm not remembering?

Last edited:

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Switched to a run first team. But I’m sure you are just fishing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Switched to a run first team. But I’m sure you are just fishing

Sorry, your post made me realize that I had totally put down the wrong year for my question, which changes it completely. I meant to post 1996!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It was the bleed off of the Jimmy Johnson era, Switzer got that win in 95 vs the Steelers, and it was the fall out from FA that bled that Dynasty.

Carson

Reaction score
Relied on the run first.

Aikman didn't have many reliable targets outside of Irvin. Kevin Williams, Stepfret Williams and Eric Bjornson were the next guys in line. Kelvin Martin was aging and slowing down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was the bleed off of the Jimmy Johnson era, Switzer got that win in 95 vs the Steelers, and it was the fall out from FA that bled that Dynasty.

But that's part of what has me scratching my head trying to figure it out. Most of the pieces were still there from those Super Bowls:
  1. Aikman
  2. Smith
  3. Irvin
  4. That offensive line (who all played that entire season save for Tuinei missing just one game)
The two missing parts were Harper and Novacek, but I can;t think that they could have such a dramatic effect. The scoring numbers are pathetic.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Relied on the run first.

Aikman didn't have many reliable targets outside of Irvin. Kevin Williams, Stepfret Williams and Eric Bjornson were the next guys in line. Kelvin Martin was aging and slowing down.
Online started to fade.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was looking over some stats as I am wont to do and I noticed a huge dropoff in offensive points scored for the Cowboys 1996 season. In glancing at the roster and coaches, I didn't notice a huge changes anywhere in coaching or key players missing many games with injury. In looking at the players and coaches it was surprising to see how truly ineffective they were in scoring points.

Does anyone remember back to that time period who can offer any suggestions or insight as to why what looks like a still very talented team would perform so poorly? Is there something I'm not remembering?

Maybe the partying was affecting their play. Irvin would be busted in 96 and missed games but it appears a lot of guys where living the high life.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But that's part of what has me scratching my head trying to figure it out. Most of the pieces were still there from those Super Bowls:
  1. Aikman
  2. Smith
  3. Irvin
  4. That offensive line (who all played that entire season save for Tuinei missing just one game)
The two missing parts were Harper and Novacek, but I can;t think that they could have such a dramatic effect. The scoring numbers are pathetic.

Once ailkman started losing his hof cast he couldn’t produce.

Carson

Reaction score
If i'm also not mistaken, wasn't Irvin suspended 5 games? Emmitt was also hurt bad week one and lingered all season?

Haley and Novacek were also hurt

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The wheels were coming off. Novacek, Haley, Smith, and Williams were all diminished due to injury.

Irvin was well into his hookers and cocaine period.

Drafting for backups was in its second year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
  1. Aikman
  2. Smith
  3. Irvin
Off the top of my head, and I need to double check but wasn't that Stepnoskis exit as well?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Irvin was suspended the first 5 games of the season. Jay Novacek was gone. They never did find a #2 wide receiver. Pretty simple to understand why they struggled on offense.

They struggled as badly to score if not worse after Irvin returned from those first 5 games. They scored 27, 24, and 23 points in three of those 5 games while struggling in the other two (scoring just 7 and 6 points. But the struggled to score points badly later in the year too, for several weeks. Their high score for the entire regular season was 32 points. And they often failed to score over 10 or 12 points.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Off the top of my head, and I need to double check but wasn't that Stepnoskis exit as well?

Stepnoski left after the 1994 season. Donaldson was there in 1995 as well.