A question for our resident historians

Bizwah

Reaction score
Age began to catch up with certain players.

Novacek's back was a problem all season. Irvin was suspended at the beginning of the season. Eric Williams was fading quickly, yes he had recovered from his wreck...but he wasn't the same player. Newton was getting fatter.

Distractions also played a key role. It seemed the Cowboys were always the leading story on ESPN. We also had a HUGE target on our backs at that point.

Really the last few weeks of the 1995 season really began to show there were chinks in our armor. The Steelers didn't have the weapons to even hang with us, but somehow they almost pulled it out against us. I wasn't overjoyed we won that Super Bowl. I can remember feeling relieved more than anything. I could sense we were done after that game.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Sorry, your post made me realize that I had totally put down the wrong year for my question, which changes it completely. I meant to post 1996!
Without scrolling done to read more posts (I will in a moment)…

In 1996 we were dealing with our post-SB era.

In those days we were losing guys to FA alot.

Ken Norton Jr was a big loss as were several others thruout the team.

Backups became starters, coaches moved on like Norv Turner, Erniie
Zampese and Wannstead and Davis.

I would have to study a roster to really see more but all that was happening.

Age was eating up the roster and injuries.

So it always is a slim window to win. Alot of luck factors into it, too.

This is also the real beginnings of the salary cap and FA.

We never have really handled that as well as others teams have.

joseephuss

Reaction score
They struggled as badly to score if not worse after Irvin returned from those first 5 games. They scored 27, 24, and 23 points in three of those 5 games while struggling in the other two (scoring just 7 and 6 points. But the struggled to score points badly later in the year too, for several weeks. Their high score for the entire regular season was 32 points. And they often failed to score over 10 or 12 points.

I didn't list Irvin as the only issue. Novacek was gone. He was a reliable target for Aikman. They didn't have a solid #2 wide receiver. Alvin Harper was never a consistent #2, but he could keep safeties honest. They never replaced him after he left in the 1995 off season. I'll also add that Kevin Williams was never as good as Kelvin Martin as the #3 WR.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't list Irvin as the only issue. Novacek was gone. He was a reliable target for Aikman. They didn't have a solid #2 wide receiver. Alvin Harper was never a consistent #2, but he could keep safeties honest. They never replaced him after he left in the 1995 off season. I'll also add that Kevin Williams was never as good as Kelvin Martin as the #3 WR.

No he wasn't. But wasn't Kevin Williams also the #2 receiver when they won that Super Bowl the year before?

It's just stark to me how much of a dropoff in offensive production the team had with a few changes.

Bizwah

Reaction score
No he wasn't. But wasn't Kevin Williams also the #2 receiver when they won that Super Bowl the year before?

It's just stark to me how much of a dropoff in offensive production the team had with a few changes.
Remember.

We really struggled the last month of the 95 season. Things were just getting ugly. I think the writing was on the wall then. Even the Super Bowl wasn't a good offensive performance.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Injuries, lack of depth, age, partying. Wide receivers were a mess that year due to Irvin's suspension and Kevin Williams missing six games due to an ankle injury. The O-line fell off a cliff that season as well. Nate Newton was 34, Tuinei was 36, Ray Donaldson was 38 and Erik Williams started off slow due to foot surgery coming into the season.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Times Targeted--Player
105--Michael Irvin
67--Deion Sanders
64--Eric Bjornson
57--Emmitt Smith
55--Daryl Johnston
51--Kevin Williams
44--Kelvin Martin
11--Sherman Williams
10--Herschel Walker
7--Tyjii Armstrong
2--Johnny Mitchell
1--DerekWare
1--Stepfret Williams

Those were how the targets were distributed in the 1996 season. Many of those guys were not quality players. Herschel Walker and Kelvin Martin were past their best years. Deion was a corner back. It was amazing Dallas did anything on offense. Their best game was the beatdown they gave the Vikings in the wildcard game.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Injuries, lack of depth, age, partying. Wide receivers were a mess that year due to Irvin's suspension and Kevin Williams missing six games due to an ankle injury. The O-line fell off a cliff that season as well. Nate Newton was 34, Tuinei was 36, Ray Donaldson was 38 and Erik Williams started off slow due to foot surgery coming into the season.

The first 5 games of the season set the tone with Irvin gone. They never found a rhythm on offense.

MarkP88

Reaction score
But that's part of what has me scratching my head trying to figure it out. Most of the pieces were still there from those Super Bowls:
  1. Aikman
  2. Smith
  3. Irvin
  4. That offensive line (who all played that entire season save for Tuinei missing just one game)
The two missing parts were Harper and Novacek, but I can;t think that they could have such a dramatic effect. The scoring numbers are pathetic.
As others have pointed out, Irvin was suspended the first five games of the season, and Novacek was gone; they had no real downfield threat. I believe Emmitt was banged up in the first game against Chicago, though it turned to be less serious than it first appeared. But the O-line definitely started to fade.

Beyond that stuff, I think the league had started to catch up to the offensive scheme. Remember, they hit a real rough patch the year before, even though they ended up winning the Super Bowl, and in the Super Bowl, the Steelers did a great job stifling the offense. It was no longer unstoppable, even with everyone healthy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As others have pointed out, Irvin was suspended the first five games of the season, and Novacek was gone; they had no real downfield threat. I believe Emmitt was banged up in the first game against Chicago, though it turned to be less serious than it first appeared. But the O-line definitely started to fade.

Beyond that stuff, I think the league had started to catch up to the offensive scheme. Remember, they hit a real rough patch the year before, even though they ended up winning the Super Bowl, and in the Super Bowl, the Steelers did a great job stifling the offense. It was no longer unstoppable, even with everyone healthy.

I think that's probably as good of a reason as any. I think that once vaunted and nigh unstoppable offensive line and running game started to show some warts and to lose some effectiveness. And since the entire offensive engine started there, it was too much to overcome.

I believe that this was post-accident Erik Williams and sadly he was never the same player after that. And Tuinei was 35, Newton 34, and Donaldson 37!

MarkP88

Reaction score
I think that's probably as good of a reason as any. I think that once vaunted and nigh unstoppable offensive line and running game started to show some warts and to lose some effectiveness. And since the entire offensive engine started there, it was too much to overcome.

I believe that this was post-accident Erik Williams and sadly he was never the same player after that. And Tuinei was 35, Newton 34, and Donaldson 37!
You're right about the O-Line...man, do I wish Williams had more healthy years. He'd have been a first-ballot HOF'er.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Switzer effect was in full swing by then.

Very true!

711172---cover-thumbnail-image.jpg

Plankton

Reaction score
I was looking over some stats as I am wont to do and I noticed a huge dropoff in offensive points scored for the Cowboys 1996 season. In glancing at the roster and coaches, I didn't notice a huge changes anywhere in coaching or key players missing many games with injury. In looking at the players and coaches it was surprising to see how truly ineffective they were in scoring points.

Does anyone remember back to that time period who can offer any suggestions or insight as to why what looks like a still very talented team would perform so poorly? Is there something I'm not remembering?

There were a few things:
  • Michael Irvin was suspended for the first five games of the season.
  • Jay Novacek came down with a bad back in mini camp that season, and never played again.
  • Emmitt Smith injured his ankle in the third preseason game against the Broncos, and never was fully healthy the whole season.
  • The offensive line, despite having great numbers in pass blocking that season (only allowed 19 sacks), regressed mightily. Ray Donaldson was a shell of himself coming back from a broken ankle. Both Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei were not as good as they had been in 1995 as well.
  • Deion Sanders was the Cowboys #2 WR. Aikman never developed a comfort factor in throwing to him.
  • Kevin Williams regressed significantly from a fantastic close to the 1995 season to 1996. In 1995, he caught 38 passes for 613 yards and 2 TDs. In 1996, he ended up with 27 catches for 323 and 1 TD.
  • In looking at the passing game difference from 1995 to 1996, it's startling:
    • 1995:
    • #1 WR - Michael Irvin - 111 catches for 1603 yards and 10 TDs (16 games played)
    • #2 WR - Kevin Williams - 38 catches for 613 yards and 2 TDs (16 games)
    • TE - Jay Novacek - 62 catches for 705 yards and 5 TDs (15 games played)
    • RB - Emmitt Smith - 62 catches for 375 yards
    • QB Troy Aikman - 93.1 passer rating
    • 1996:
    • #1 WR - Michael Irvin - 64 catches for 962 yards and 2 TDs (11 games)
    • #2 WR - Deion Sanders - 36 catches for 475 yards and 1 TD (15 games)
    • TE - Eric Bjornson - 48 catches for 388 yards and 3 TDs (14 games)
    • RB - Emmitt Smith - 47 catches for 249 yards and 3 TDs (15 games)
    • QB Troy Aikman - 80.1 passer rating
  • Net yards passing per attempt - 1995 - 7.1 yards (1st in the league)
  • Net yards passing per attempt - 1996 - 6.2 yards (9th in the league)
  • Net yards rushing per attempt - 1995 - 4.4 yards (4th in the league)
  • Net yards rushing per attempt - 1996 - 3.5 yards (22nd in the league)
Namely, it boiled down to lesser performance by literally every player and every position on the offensive roster, injuries to two key players, a suspension to start the season, and a very stale offensive scheme.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were a few things:
  • Michael Irvin was suspended for the first five games of the season.
  • Jay Novacek came down with a bad back in mini camp that season, and never played again.
  • Emmitt Smith injured his ankle in the third preseason game against the Broncos, and never was fully healthy the whole season.
  • The offensive line, despite having great numbers in pass blocking that season (only allowed 19 sacks), regressed mightily. Ray Donaldson was a shell of himself coming back from a broken ankle. Both Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei were not as good as they had been in 1995 as well.
  • Deion Sanders was the Cowboys #2 WR. Aikman never developed a comfort factor in throwing to him.
  • Kevin Williams regressed significantly from a fantastic close to the 1995 season to 1996. In 1995, he caught 38 passes for 613 yards and 2 TDs. In 1996, he ended up with 27 catches for 323 and 1 TD.
  • In looking at the passing game difference from 1995 to 1996, it's startling:
    • 1995:
    • #1 WR - Michael Irvin - 111 catches for 1603 yards and 10 TDs (16 games played)
    • #2 WR - Kevin Williams - 38 catches for 613 yards and 2 TDs (16 games)
    • TE - Jay Novacek - 62 catches for 705 yards and 5 TDs (15 games played)
    • RB - Emmitt Smith - 62 catches for 375 yards
    • QB Troy Aikman - 93.1 passer rating
    • 1996:
    • #1 WR - Michael Irvin - 64 catches for 962 yards and 2 TDs (11 games)
    • #2 WR - Deion Sanders - 36 catches for 475 yards and 1 TD (15 games)
    • TE - Eric Bjornson - 48 catches for 388 yards and 3 TDs (14 games)
    • RB - Emmitt Smith - 47 catches for 249 yards and 3 TDs (15 games)
    • QB Troy Aikman - 80.1 passer rating
  • Net yards passing per attempt - 1995 - 7.1 yards (1st in the league)
  • Net yards passing per attempt - 1996 - 6.2 yards (9th in the league)
  • Net yards rushing per attempt - 1995 - 4.4 yards (4th in the league)
  • Net yards rushing per attempt - 1996 - 3.5 yards (22nd in the league)
Namely, it boiled down to lesser performance by literally every player and every position on the offensive roster, injuries to two key players, a suspension to start the season, and a very stale offensive scheme.

That was a great summary, thanks for putting in that work!
:thumbup:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I was looking over some stats as I am wont to do and I noticed a huge dropoff in offensive points scored for the Cowboys 1996 season. In glancing at the roster and coaches, I didn't notice a huge changes anywhere in coaching or key players missing many games with injury. In looking at the players and coaches it was surprising to see how truly ineffective they were in scoring points.

Does anyone remember back to that time period who can offer any suggestions or insight as to why what looks like a still very talented team would perform so poorly? Is there something I'm not remembering?

I'm not saying this is the only reason but I'm sure it's part of it. Aikman threw more picks than TD's in 1996. He did this 4 times in his 12 year career. His rookie year, 1990, 1996 and his last year 2000.