A Real QB Coach could help

Blackrain

Reaction score
I am a fan of Daks style of play but he looked very tight and not well prepared for this game .
Very limited preseason action with his starting group probably factored into this .

But for Gods sake Jerry get off the money and get a real QB coach that is not wet behind the ears , has some experience to DRAW from and can actually help this kid when he is struggling in a game .

Dak needs a mentor not some kid to play X Box or Madden with . Dak has the physical tools to do the job mentally he was apprehensive last night till they went hurry up and he loosened up a bit .

He needs someone with some experience to recognize this and help him through it . Geez Jerry could afford to put Peyton Manning on the sideline if he wanted to and we have the least credentialed QB coach in the league .

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
100%. The whole world know we have a young QB with flaws.
What we do?
Instead of getting a veteran QB coach to fix him, we give him Kellen Moore

Dak has the tools, physique, athleticism and mindset to be pretty good, you just need to nurture him in the NFL in his early years. He look lost, confused, unprepared, and terrible

:cool:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
100%. The whole world know we have a young QB with flaws.
What we do?
Instead of getting a veteran QB coach to fix him, we give him Kellen Moore

Dak has the tools, physique, athleticism and mindset to be pretty good, you just need to nurture him in the NFL in his early years. He look lost, confused, unprepared, and terrible

and when you start off year 3 like that, when can you expect this to get better?

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
and when you start off year 3 like that, when can you expect this to get better?

I understand. He had a great year one, regressed year two. So the logical thing is to get a real QB coach to fix what was exposed. Year three is still early in a QB career. Tom Brady was not this Tom Brady even 4 years into his career. Better now than continue w/o doing anything or worse giving him Moore

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I understand. He had a great year one, regressed year two. So the logical thing is to get a real QB coach to fix what was exposed. Year three is still early in a QB career. Tom Brady was not this Tom Brady even 4 years into his career. Better now than continue w/o doing anything or worse giving him Moore

hey - i'm all for moore getting the boot and taking a bulk of the coaching staff with him. but the simple fact is dak isn't really improving in as much as other teams knowing how to play him and no one bothering to adjust. his accuracy is just 1 issue.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It's going to take more than a better QB coach. Dak looked bad, real bad, but so did the entire offense. The WRs were bad, the OL was bad, the play design and play calling were bad, preparation was bad. The entire offense was poorly prepared and coached, it goes beyond the QB coach.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I am a fan of Daks style of play but he looked very tight and not well prepared for this game .
Very limited preseason action with his starting group probably factored into this .

But for Gods sake Jerry get off the money and get a real QB coach that is not wet behind the ears , has some experience to DRAW from and can actually help this kid when he is struggling in a game .

See the weakness section of Dak's combine profile. It's depressing how accurate it is for what we've seen from Dak for the last half season of games.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

As for Moore, I raged a good deal about hiring him as QB coach this offseason. Most people pooh poohed my objection.

The fundamental concern of the offseason should have been that the guy we want to be our franchise QB clearly regressed last year, and he needed coaching help. We should have got the best available.

Instead, we hired Rudy for the job. A completely unserious move. Maybe Moore would have been fine as an aid for Romo to help develop himself. Fresh eyes to get Romo question his premises. But he's a joke as a QB coach for Dak.

Ddisco22

Reaction score

Dak needs a mentor not some kid to play X Box or Madden with . Dak has the physical tools to do the job mentally he was apprehensive last night till they went hurry up and he loosened up a bit .

He needs someone with some experience to recognize this and help him through it . Geez Jerry could afford to put Peyton Manning on the sideline if he wanted to and we have the least credentialed QB coach in the league .

I agree, just another stupid, dumb decision by these "business owners" From JJ down to the OC, all need to GO!!!!
THIS IS A HORRIBLY RUN TEAM.
We have too much talent!

bdk76

Reaction score
Any real QB coach would want no part of this Garrett/Linehan passing scheme. It's the same thing week after week and year after year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

that's on linehan convicing everyone that Moore is a good football player, to bring him in and keep him as a back up and now as a QB coach. big mistake. Moore was Linehan's pet project and its on him and ultimately on Garrett for allowing him to make that choice...and ultimately on GM to allow it to happen.

Blackrain

Reaction score
In any sport physical tools will only take you so far Dak needs someone who was successful who can mentor him in the mental side of the game .
He needs to be able to handle it when his oline gets a penalty and starts him off 1st and 15 or the guard is getting pushed into his lap every play .

His answer now is play cautious throw it away , throw it in the ground but don't get INTed . I get that but he needs a mentor that can analyze tape and give him a better plan for these situations because the Oline is not top 5 as we hoped so far .

We had bad down and distance situations all game and started deep in our end along with a bunch of penalties . We need a coach that can give him a plan and we don't have it . We are counting on best case scenario of Zeke banging 4 yrds a crack and only having to convert 3rd and 2 or 3 . Not going to happen unless this Oline improves .

Dak needs some help to prepare for the worst. Whats funny is as bad as he looked his stats and Cams were about the same

Macnalty

Reaction score
I think we give too much credit to what a QB coach can accomplish it is not a position that typically teams spend lots of money on. The silk purse cliche comes to mind after one game and "time is of the essence" on evaluating Dak and his perceived QB future with the boys. Just in case some of you have forgotten "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Jerry doesn't believe in experience.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who the QB coach is, or the asst. coaches are, as long as the Garrett/Linehan marriage remains they will continue to fail..........if a car motor goes bad changing the transmission isn't going to fix it.