A reminder of what being a Cowboy fan is all about

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but thought it wise to repost it in its own thread.

I have been a very long time fan of this team for over 50 yesrs..

My family has had season tickets since the Cotton Bowl days before they were winners.

We still have them at ATT.

My dad was a huge football fan.

He was in the FBI for 30+ years and was stationed in Washington DC.

He went to all the Commanders games in the 40s-60s.

When he retired to Dallas and we moved..

One of the first things he did was buy season tickets to the Cowboys.

Every Sunday..we went as a family to the games.

Mom made lunch and we lugged a cooler to the games and we ate and drank.

No prohibition against bring stuff to the games then.

After years of supporting the team..

from the Cotton Bowl to Texas Stadium we were there.

One day..

back when the Cowboys were winning SBs under Johnson in the 90s..

my dad had a stroke and was in the hospital.

Emmitt Smith was holding out and the Cowboys had lost their first 2 games that season.

My dad asked on his death bed if Emmitt had resigned?

I told him he had and was playing on Sunday,.

He was happy.

He had another stroke that night and passed.

I got to the hospital and stood over him crying and said..

"Dad, we were supposed to watch the game together today.."

I watched that game on Sunday and people were arriving and expressing their condolences.

They saw me in the den watching and came in and asked if I was Ok.

I said..

"One of the last things he said was he wanted to watch this game together. So we are. Have a seat..".

I had about 10 people off and on watching and we won the game. I smiled as they did the post game interview with Emmitt knowing Dad was pleased.

Being a Cowboy fan comforted me a lot in a time being very depressed and angry. I was mad becuz I felt the hospital had not responded quickly enough to help him at the time and I had read the nurses station the riot act about it.

Watching the game calmed me.

So when I post..it comes from the heart about how this team has been a part of my life it seems like forever.

I read posters getting all worked up with this and the other topics. I think they miss the whole point of being a fan.

It's more about enjoying the moment and off loading the real stresses of life thru the team.

Hope that works for you guys.

Thank for your time.

Love to hear anybody else with a good Cowboy story to share.

Later.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
My dad was a Browns fan and ran off with a cashier when I was 5. He never took me to a Cowboys game.

Every experience is different.
Yes.

I realize now how privileged I have been.

My nephew now handles the seats for us and I get up on Thanksgiving for that game.

But now he and his son and wife go and the tradition goes on..

very sorry to hear your story.

That had to have been very hard for you and your mom.

Obviously you are here with us as a fan now.

Glad you made it.

Thanx.

:starspin:

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but thought it wise to repost it in its own thread.

My family has had season tickets since the Cotton Bowl days before they were winners.

One day..

Emmitt Smith was holding out and the Cowboys had lost their first 2 games that season.

He was happy.

I watched that game on Sunday and people were arriving and expressing their condolences.

I said..

"One of the last things he said was he wanted to watch this game together. So we are. Have a seat..".

I had about 10 people off and on watching and we won the game. I smiled as they did the post game interview with Emmitt knowing Dad was pleased.

Being a Cowboy fan comforted me a lot in a time being very depressed and angry. I was mad becuz I felt the hospital had not responded quickly enough to help him at the time and I had read the nurses station the riot act about it.

So when I post..it comes from the heart about how this team has been a part of my life it seems like forever.

I read posters getting all worked up with this and the other topics. I think they miss the whole point of being a fan.

It's more about enjoying the moment and off loading the real stresses of life thru the team.

Thank for your time.

Later.

I’ve been a Cowboy fan for 50+ years, with a lot of great stories and memories, but I can’t top yours.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
My earliest childhood memory was watching the Cowboys game with my dad, who used to be a Green Bay Packers fan before the Cowboys became a franchise.

That was around 1970-71. One of my favorite early memories was when former Miss America, Phyllis George, arrived at pregame before one of the Super Bowls in a helicopter, at the time I thought that was so cool, and her hair was so big.

Roger Staubach was thrilling to watch perform! He was like George “Iceman” Gervin, every game they did something fantastic that I had never seen before.

It’s amazing to me that now I have seen my two favorite teams each earn five championships, I’m incredibly fortunate as a fan.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score

One day..

He was happy.

I said..

Thank for your time.

Later.
Very good post.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Awesome.

That was one of the best I ever saw, too.

When Harper stuffed the football over the goalposts..

I about went nuts.

Happy times for sure.
Do you mean the Super Bowl? Harper did not score any TD in this conference title game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

One day..

He was happy.

I said..

Thank for your time.

Later.
Aww. That's nice!
Eat your soup.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
My earliest childhood memory was watching the Cowboys game with my dad, who used to be a Green Bay Packers fan before the Cowboys became a franchise.

That was around 1970-71. One of my favorite early memories was when former Miss America, Phyllis George, arrived at pregame before one of the Super Bowls in a helicopter, at the time I thought that was so cool, and her hair was so big.

Roger Staubach was thrilling to watch perform! He was like George “Iceman” Gervin, every game they did something fantastic that I had never seen before.

It’s amazing to me that now I have seen my two favorite teams each earn five championships, I’m incredibly fortunate as a fan.
Nice story.
Off you go old fellow.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Great story.

I know..

Winning so much makes us so hated..

like the Pats now.

:thumbup:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Do you mean the Super Bowl? Harper did not score any TD in this conference title game.
He did make a game-affirming catch against the 49ers. After harpers catch, over the sidelines and above, you could see a rainbow.
That catch, I call The Rainbow Connection.

Xelda

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your story, Redball. Any long time fan will have several, but not many have your story. I tried to bond with daddy through the Cowboys, but he had no use for a girl that threw herself on the bed and bawled her eyes out after a loss. I now save the crying for when a beloved member of the team uses the word "meritocracy" or retires. In 2015, I'd gone through the loss of my father, fiancé and then both my dogs. I was devastate after having to put my last baby down right before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving day I sat and cried at my TV when a show about pet adoption came on. After that, I decided to adopt and yet no one locally would bother to respond to my requests. I thought Dallas has to have plenty of dogs for adoption and it's not that much of a drive, so I applied on line. The lady saw my request and that I live in Louisiana. She shrugged and was ready to file me away when her eyes caught this:

I know I live deep in Saints territory, but I promise to raise my pet as a devout Cowboys fan.

She loved it and decided to give me a chance. She said the pup I was applying for had another from the same facility and would I consider taking two. I was thrilled. I offered to come get them, but she wanted to bring them to me. She also paid the adoption fee on both. I don't know how old they are, but they'd never had a name so I named them Bailey and Beasley. I know it's a peculiar story, but that's how it happened.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Been a Cowboys fan since the early 80’s... I was born in 76 to an Army officer. Since we moved all over the place— and I didn’t really have a “honetown team”, I chose Dallas bc it was “America’s Team”.

Loved Landry and the Cowboy mystique.

One good story: My Dad was stationed in DC at the Pentagon during my high school days. Commanders fans everywhere lol... The year the Skins won the SB under Gibbs/Rypien— they started the year 11-0. Dallas was 6-5 under Johnson— but were starting to “arrive”. You could see the young core players coming into their own.

Anyway— I bet a bunch of my classmates that Dallas would upset the Skins. Sure enough— Johnson came into the game swinging and after a crucial Moose Johnson fake punt conversion— we won the game and I got bragging rights the rest of the year and it made their winning the SB a tiny bit more palatable to know that we were the team that at least broke up their winning streak lol....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your story, Redball. Any long time fan will have several, but not many have your story. I tried to bond with daddy through the Cowboys, but he had no use for a girl that threw herself on the bed and bawled her eyes out after a loss. I now save the crying for when a beloved member of the team uses the word "meritocracy" or retires. In 2015, I'd gone through the loss of my father, fiancé and then both my dogs. I was devastate after having to put my last baby down right before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving day I sat and cried at my TV when a show about pet adoption came on. After that, I decided to adopt and yet no one locally would bother to respond to my requests. I thought Dallas has to have plenty of dogs for adoption and it's not that much of a drive, so I applied on line. The lady saw my request and that I live in Louisiana. She shrugged and was ready to file me away when her eyes caught this:

I know I live deep in Saints territory, but I promise to raise my pet as a devout Cowboys fan.

She loved it and decided to give me a chance. She said the pup I was applying for had another from the same facility and would I consider taking two. I was thrilled. I offered to come get them, but she wanted to bring them to me. She also paid the adoption fee on both. I don't know how old they are, but they'd never had a name so I named them Bailey and Beasley. I know it's a peculiar story, but that's how it happened.
Nice.

I understand completely.

I lost my dog Punkin 3 months ago.

She was a Golden Retriever and had her 10 years..

constant companion and very dear.

Glad the football team played a part in your life.

it's more common than we all realize, huh?

:D:D

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Been a Cowboys fan since the early 80’s... I was born in 76 to an Army officer. Since we moved all over the place— and I didn’t really have a “honetown team”, I chose Dallas bc it was “America’s Team”.

Loved Landry and the Cowboy mystique.

One good story: My Dad was stationed in DC at the Pentagon during my high school days. Commanders fans everywhere lol... The year the Skins won the SB under Gibbs/Rypien— they started the year 11-0. Dallas was 6-5 under Johnson— but were starting to “arrive”. You could see the young core players coming into their own.

Anyway— I bet a bunch of my classmates that Dallas would upset the Skins. Sure enough— Johnson came into the game swinging and after a crucial Moose Johnson fake punt conversion— we won the game and I got bragging rights the rest of the year and it made their winning the SB a tiny bit more palatable to know that we were the team that at least broke up their winning streak lol....
Great story.

I saw that game.

Moose.

He is now the GM here of the San Antonio Commanders in the new football league.

I really enjoy him alot.

Again..thank for adding.