CFZ A review of our defense

DanA

Reaction score
Right now I think we have a really strong defense with only a couple of holes. Assuming a starting 11:

LDE: D-Law 1:?? 3T: Odigizuwa RDE: Parsons
MIKE:LVE WILL:Kearse
LCB:Gilmore SCB: Bland RCB:Diggs
SS: Wilson FS: Hooker
We have good players across the starting entire starting 11 except 1-tech. I have four “blue chip” players and 6 “good” players that I think are all well above NFL average starters. It’s a smaller defense though so to me it’s critical we find a 1-tech that can push the pocket allowing our LB/safeties a free run to the ball, and stopping the QB from stepping up into the pocket so our good edge rushers can get home.

In rotation we have:
DE: Armstrong, Williams
DE/DT: Golston
LB: Clarke
SCB: Lewis
NB: Mukuamu
  • The DE’s rotate in and are good enough to free up Micah to play some linebacker. Armstrong has 8.5 sacks and I’d expect Williams to improve from last years 4 sacks. He’s probably the player on the roster with the most upside.
  • I see Golston playing a lot of passing downs at DT and then run downs at DE. He was pretty good late last season.
  • Clarke will push LVE for the starting MIKE position. He didn’t have a pre-season but seemed to be a starter when he got healthy. At the very least he’ll play as the 2nd LB when we aren’t using Kearse as a hybrid WILL.
  • Lewis is most likely to play slot if any of the CB’s are out (Bland shifting to outside corner).
  • Mukuamu I thought was great last season and should have a Byron Jones (rookie year) type TE covering role. He could also play some CB against bigger recievers.
Backups:
  • DT: Bohanna, Gallimore
  • LB: Cox, Harper, Jackson
  • SS: Bell
  • CB: Wright, Joseph, Goodwin
These guys are likely to make the roster and mostly with special team roles. The two exceptions are Bohanna and Gallimore who won’t play ST. Bohanna improved last year but is still just okay as a 1T, Gallimore’s move to 1T was a complete bust, he needs to drop the weight back down and shift back to 3T where he was showing promise (before last season). Wright looked better this season, and I thought was okay starting at CB when Brown was injured (better than Joseph), he could play a role on defense as cover but Mukuamu was better and there’s no way he’s beating out Gilmore or Diggs.

Overall, I think we’ve got a fantastic defense short of the 1-tech position. Unfortunately there’s not a lot out there in free agency. Brookers, Hankins, and Gaines are about the best of them, all are just solid rather than good players.

In the draft I think offense is the main focus but a bit more LB depth couldn’t hurt, maybe a safety capable of playing single high with a CB longer term. Maybe a guy like Mazi Smith in the 2nd? It’s pretty slim pickings at DT this year.

DanA

Reaction score
Sign Wagz, re-sign Fowler and replace Hank with a round 1 DT.

Done.
What 1st round DT though? There has to be one worthy of taking.

I could still get on board with Wagner (I’d be thrilled) but it’s a luxury and seems unlikely. I don’t think we need Fowler if Williams progresses. We have four plus Golston as a hybrid.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Unless dudes like Gallimore, Golston and OO step up big time, I don’t see how DT isn’t still a problem.

They are likely going with hope, and maybe a draft pick, as a solution….and I’m not trying to whine about it….I’m saying it strongly appears to be the DT plan yet again.

And we will probably lose in the second round again…but hey, double digit wins!!

Getting beat is one thing. Getting beat year after year by what fans see but management cannot is getting a bit frustrating.

Creeper

Reaction score
Even if they draft a DT in the first round how good is going to be as a rookie. Derrick Brown was not a great contributor in his first year. Neither was Jordan Davis. It takes time for young DTs to develop. If they want to win now, they need to sign a competent DT while they develop the young guys.

75boyz

Reaction score
Very well written with sound opinions on both personnel useage and scheme.

Great job man.

Wish I could feel the same about the offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Right now I think we have a really strong defense with only a couple of holes. Assuming a starting 11:

LDE: D-Law 1:?? 3T: Odigizuwa RDE: Parsons
MIKE:LVE WILL:Kearse
LCB:Gilmore SCB: Bland RCB:Diggs
SS: Wilson FS: Hooker
We have good players across the starting entire starting 11 except 1-tech. I have four “blue chip” players and 6 “good” players that I think are all well above NFL average starters. It’s a smaller defense though so to me it’s critical we find a 1-tech that can push the pocket allowing our LB/safeties a free run to the ball, and stopping the QB from stepping up into the pocket so our good edge rushers can get home.

In rotation we have:
DE: Armstrong, Williams
DE/DT: Golston
LB: Clarke
SCB: Lewis
NB: Mukuamu
  • The DE’s rotate in and are good enough to free up Micah to play some linebacker. Armstrong has 8.5 sacks and I’d expect Williams to improve from last years 4 sacks. He’s probably the player on the roster with the most upside.
  • I see Golston playing a lot of passing downs at DT and then run downs at DE. He was pretty good late last season.
  • Clarke will push LVE for the starting MIKE position. He didn’t have a pre-season but seemed to be a starter when he got healthy. At the very least he’ll play as the 2nd LB when we aren’t using Kearse as a hybrid WILL.
  • Lewis is most likely to play slot if any of the CB’s are out (Bland shifting to outside corner).
  • Mukuamu I thought was great last season and should have a Byron Jones (rookie year) type TE covering role. He could also play some CB against bigger recievers.
Backups:
  • DT: Bohanna, Gallimore
  • LB: Cox, Harper, Jackson
  • SS: Bell
  • CB: Wright, Joseph, Goodwin
These guys are likely to make the roster and mostly with special team roles. The two exceptions are Bohanna and Gallimore who won’t play ST. Bohanna improved last year but is still just okay as a 1T, Gallimore’s move to 1T was a complete bust, he needs to drop the weight back down and shift back to 3T where he was showing promise (before last season). Wright looked better this season, and I thought was okay starting at CB when Brown was injured (better than Joseph), he could play a role on defense as cover but Mukuamu was better and there’s no way he’s beating out Gilmore or Diggs.

Overall, I think we’ve got a fantastic defense short of the 1-tech position. Unfortunately there’s not a lot out there in free agency. Brookers, Hankins, and Gaines are about the best of them, all are just solid rather than good players.

In the draft I think offense is the main focus but a bit more LB depth couldn’t hurt, maybe a safety capable of playing single high with a CB longer term. Maybe a guy like Mazi Smith in the 2nd? It’s pretty slim pickings at DT this year.
We have the same holes we did last year. Nothing has changed.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
What 1st round DT though? There has to be one worthy of taking.

I could still get on board with Wagner (I’d be thrilled) but it’s a luxury and seems unlikely. I don’t think we need Fowler if Williams progresses. We have four plus Golston as a hybrid.

Mazi and Ika will go around our pick. Those guys would be worth it at 26 just for their size alone.

And I think Fowler is a solid piece if he takes a reasonable offer. Can’t have enough pass rushers.

visionary

Reaction score
Good review but to me this defense consistently can’t get off the field in critical situations against teams that can run and tires out later in the year

Give me Hankins and Robinson to rotate at 1T. Both should be pretty cheap so absolutely no reason we can’t do it

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good review but to me this defense consistently can’t get off the field in critical situations against teams that can run and tires out later in the year

Give me Hankins and Robinson to rotate at 1T. Both should be pretty cheap so absolutely no reason we can’t do it
Very good comments. They are so close yet have refused to get a top notch 1T in FA in seasons past. Maybe Robinson will break this trend.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think they need to draft 2 DT's
1 tech and 3 tech
O'diggy is ok but we need another 3-tech to rotate with him

tm1119

Reaction score
-Osa definitely gets overrated on this board. He’s a solid rotational player, but I don’t think he’s done anything yet to be labeled as a “good” starting NFL player. Maybe average, which is about how PFF graded him with a 63 last year. You hope he takes the next step, but it’s certainly not a guarantee and there’s also no denying he has limitations. We certainly shouldn’t be shying away from upgrading 3 Tech, inside pressure is also extremely important.

-While Kearse does play some LB, Barr did play 60+% of the snaps in 9 of the 14 games he was active last season. Could Clark seamlessly fill that spot? Entirely possible, but again, not a guarantee at all. And then there’s the fact that LVE is injury prone. I still think we need LB depth in the form of a vet (no, it won’t be Wagner) or a top 3 round draft pick.

- And yes 1Tech remains a forever problem. There are still a few solid FA options along with bringing back Hankins, and with the draft.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Sign B-Wagz, re-sign Fowler and replace Hank with a round 1 DT.

Done.
Sadly, there are only 2 DTs deserving of round one. One is a knucklehead who was just fat and out of shape, but will likely still go in the top 10. The other kid from Clemson is barely 300 LBs with limited athletic ability. I’m sure we will look at a DT sometime in the draft, but we will not find a run stuffer early.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Sadly, there are only 2 DTs deserving of round one. One is a knucklehead who was just fat and out of shape, but will likely still go in the top 10. The other kid from Clemson is barely 300 LBs with limited athletic ability. I’m sure we will look at a DT sometime in the draft, but we will not find a run stuffer early.

The Clemson DT’s are undersized. Mazi and Ika are the two guys to focus on. They’re both projected to go late 1st / early 2nd.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Defense has a lot of talent, but it is absolutely essential to address DT, particularly 1T by at least bringing Hankins back. Can't allow the middle of the defense to get gashed - it nullifies the pass rush and allows opposing offenses to control the game. Also agree with the person that said that 3T could use an upgrade, as well.
Diggy's a nice player, but not starting material, IMO. Role player.

DanA

Reaction score
-Osa definitely gets overrated on this board. He’s a solid rotational player, but I don’t think he’s done anything yet to be labeled as a “good” starting NFL player. Maybe average, which is about how PFF graded him with a 63 last year. You hope he takes the next step, but it’s certainly not a guarantee and there’s also no denying he has limitations. We certainly shouldn’t be shying away from upgrading 3 Tech, inside pressure is also extremely important.

-While Kearse does play some LB, Barr did play 60+% of the snaps in 9 of the 14 games he was active last season. Could Clark seamlessly fill that spot? Entirely possible, but again, not a guarantee at all. And then there’s the fact that LVE is injury prone. I still think we need LB depth in the form of a vet (no, it won’t be Wagner) or a top 3 round draft pick.

- And yes 1Tech remains a forever problem. There are still a few solid FA options along with bringing back Hankins, and with the draft.
I don’t completely disagree with Osa and 63 is average for the year but I thought he progressed and as a 2nd year playerl

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Need AT LEAST Hankins at DT….can’t go into the year with the same tackles we began with last year and a big maybe draft pick. Wagner would be nice, but LVE played very well last year so Wags would be extra, and probly moderately expensive…can use that cap space on another position of actual need.