CFZ A review of our offense

DanA

Reaction score
Right now I think we have a decent offense but to me, it needs a bit of love in the draft and maybe one more free agent:

RB: Pollard
QB: Dak
WR: Gallup TE: Ferguson ---------------------------------------------------------------------WR: Lamb WR: Cooks
RT: Steele RG: Martin OC: Biadasz RG: Smith RT: Smith

We have decent players across the board in our starting 11 on paper. I have it as three "blue chip" and six "good" players with two question marks. But it's probably stronger on paper than in reality, certainly weaker than the defense as a group. I also have some nagging question marks.
  • Can Pollard carry the no.1 workload and get it done in short-yardage situations?
  • Can Dak clean up the interceptions with a better group of receivers?
  • Can Tyron Smith remain fit...Will Steele be ready?
  • Can Ferguson progress and fill Shultz's role after flashing last season?
  • Can Gallup return to being a good receiver or is he Terrence Williams 2.0?
  • How will we get it done in the red zone?
While I have a generally positive outlook on the above, most of the answers to these questions involve an I think/I hope element.

Rotation players:
TE
: Hendershot
OG/OC: Farniok

These two have at least had some NFL snaps and looked capable of starting with natural development, but to be honest, they aren't nearly as good as the rotation options on defense and I've got little trust in any of the depth beyond these two.

Backups:
QB
: Rush...he's fine
RB: Davis...good enough to be RB3
WR: Tolbert, Fehoko.....not shown enough to suggest meaningful snaps are on the cards
TE: McKeon...fine as a special teams TE
OT: Walezko....showed a bit of promise. Ball.....not so much
OG: Alacon....I don't see it

To be honest I wouldn't be mad if we drafted one in each of the above positions in just about any order but I think if it's me, I'd be looking at an OG/OC, RB, and TE early in the draft, with a focus on improving the RedZone offense and then QB and WR mid-late draft. Of course, we have more needs than picks because I want to address LB and DT early as well and then Free Safety later on.

T-RO

Reaction score
Agree. Very solid starting roster at this point in the offseason. But I'd like to see new talent push these guys off the roster:

Tolbert, Fehoko, Alarcon,

I have no clue about Josh Ball as player.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard can't handle many more carries than he has had. I hope he can, but just do not see it as of now. Also he can't get those short yardage or goal line runs. A person on the team stated this. Said he is not that type of back to get those 12 TD's they lost when they released Zeke.

They need a stud RB and probably in the draft.

This may be Fehoko's last chance to show he can be productive. Maybe take on the Noah Brown role. Tolbert, we need to see year 2 progress.
Same for Ball, need to see progress to be the swing tackle, as Waletzgo is right there. Alacron is just taking up a PS spot, but since he is an exemption Jerry is giving him a nice living from that. He has replaced Jamielle Showers for that spot.

Dak must clean up his INT's, now does that come from better WR's, or a combination of that and better schemes and play calling. Also get that OL fixed and to stay healthy. They have not stayed healthy the last 5 years.

Overall the offense looks good except at RB, as to depth. TE's need to make that 2nd year leap, but I can see another TE being drafted.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an 8-9 offense with a 13-4 defense after ther additions of Cook and Gilmore.

Therefore as of right now I see 10 wins and a Wild Card loss UNLESS we get another 8-9 team for an opponent.
Or QB play vastly reduces those INT's. :muttley:

If we go any further this season, it will be because the defense improved even more. At least that is the way it looks for now.

I do not see any improvement on offense (yet) other than adding Cooks. Losing Zeke loses those 12 rushing TD's. They need to get that fixed. Maybe they can scheme Pollard to get those.
Take the ball out of Dak's hands inside the 5. Unless they get a Kielce type end zone threat.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right now I think we have a decent offense but to me, it needs a bit of love in the draft and maybe one more free agent:

WR: Gallup TE: Ferguson ---------------------------------------------------------------------WR: Lamb WR: Cooks

We have decent players across the board in our starting 11 on paper. I have it as three "blue chip" and six "good" players with two question marks. But it's probably stronger on paper than in reality, certainly weaker than the defense as a group. I also have some nagging question marks.
  • Can Pollard carry the no.1 workload and get it done in short-yardage situations?
While I have a generally positive outlook on the above, most of the answers to these questions involve an I think/I hope element.

Rotation players:
TE

These two have at least had some NFL snaps and looked capable of starting with natural development, but to be honest, they aren't nearly as good as the rotation options on defense and I've got little trust in any of the depth beyond these two.

Backups:
QB
WR: Tolbert, Fehoko.....not shown enough to suggest meaningful snaps are on the cards

To be honest I wouldn't be mad if we drafted one in each of the above positions in just about any order but I think if it's me, I'd be looking at an OG/OC, RB, and TE early in the draft, with a focus on improving the RedZone offense and then QB and WR mid-late draft. Of course, we have more needs than picks because I want to address LB and DT early as well and then Free Safety later on.
Agree, 3 needs: RB, TE, LG.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Rotation players:
TE

Backups:
QB

The Cowboys need to finish off their offensive line rebuild with this draft. We need a left guard and a true blocking tight end. Get that 12 personnel going so teams have no idea what we are going to do.

starfan1

Reaction score
not sold on the offensive line myself. If torrence the guard out of florida is there at 26 and Bijan robinson isnt then I take the guard. then Im taking the best NT I can find with my second pick.

DanA

Reaction score
Pollard can't handle many more carries than he has had. I hope he can, but just do not see it as of now. Also he can't get those short yardage or goal line runs. A person on the team stated this. Said he is not that type of back to get those 12 TD's they lost when they released Zeke.

This may be Fehoko's last chance to show he can be productive. Maybe take on the Noah Brown role. Tolbert, we need to see year 2 progress.
Same for Ball, need to see progress to be the swing tackle, as Waletzgo is right there. Alacron is just taking up a PS spot, but since he is an exemption Jerry is giving him a nice living from that. He has replaced Jamielle Showers for that spot.

Dak must clean up his INT's, now does that come from better WR's, or a combination of that and better schemes and play calling. Also get that OL fixed and to stay healthy. They have not stayed healthy the last 5 years.

Overall the offense looks good except at RB, as to depth. TE's need to make that 2nd year leap, but I can see another TE being drafted.
I’m not quite as absolute but this is about where I land on all those points.

For instance, I think Pollard could handle a larger load but not Zeke 2016 type stuff. It’s gonna be 65-35 at most IMO. I think we could be alright in short yardage situation if we flip the script a bit and lean on Dak carrying the ball/option reads to support Pollard but it’s going to look more like Philly which puts a strain on Dak. It’s better to get that power back.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. Very solid starting roster at this point in the offseason. But I'd like to see new talent push these guys off the roster:

You have no clue about a lot more players than just Josh Ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score

we need one or two of those push, no how about develop like semi or tolbert at the very elaset be the next Noah Brown? the team cant have 53 stsrs on it, rotational/ST role players are needed , Brown was good example of coming along and contributing where and when needed. semi or tolbert can be that guy.,. we dont need either of them to be a starter or the next Lamb. you need them and some fresh blood.. sure, keep drafting but someone needs to take the place of guys like ced , turner, and brown..thats what these guys can be ..development is natural having guys come pro ready day 1 is fan expectations. took Austin into his 3rd season to finally show his potential, if his hammy would have cooperated that nice find with patience maybe thats tolbert and or semi.. we saw payer like Laurent Robinson do the same..give them time and shot you never know.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

The best one nobody seems to want or maybe just not at #26, then we better find a gem of one that can carry the load

Jipper

Reaction score

Tolbert was a 3rd round pick at a position that can have a steep learning curve...he needs at least one more season before I'm ready to say I want him pushed off the roster.

DanA

Reaction score
Tolbert was a 3rd round pick at a position that can have a steep learning curve...he needs at least one more season before I'm ready to say I want him pushed off the roster.
Is receiver a steep learning curve? I would have thought it’s the opposite. More and more it seems like these guys are good straight out of college. It seems like TE, QB, and DT are where kids coming out of college struggle for a year or two.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Is receiver a steep learning curve? I would have thought it’s the opposite. More and more it seems like these guys are good straight out of college. It seems like TE, QB, and DT are where kids coming out of college struggle for a year or two.
I mean rookie receivers see a huge jump from year one to two.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
I feel a lot better about our offense this year than I did last year and we haven’t even got to the draft yet. Within the realm of being realistic they’ve done a great job

morasp

Reaction score
They put up 12 points against San Francisco so they definitely need to get better.

So far they lost McGovern, Zeke, Schultz, and Brown and added Cooks who should be an upgrade.

Pollard missed time due to injury in the regular season and when they needed him in the divisional round so they should have a COP back for that when it happens.

Tyron will probably be good for a few games but they will need a good starting caliber LG for when he gets hurt so Tyler can move to tackle.

They should also try to replace Schultz if he's not resigned and It's a good draft to do that with five prospects with starting grades and five more with a very good chance to make the team.

They need to replace Zeke and hopefully they can do that with someone on a rookie contract that can average more than 3.8 YPC and that shouldn't be too hard. Robinson and Gibbs are the top two and there are twelve more with a good chance to make the 53 man roster. It's a little bit of a mine field, some of them have injury issues and others have have fumbling issues but I think the scouting department can sift through that and find a good one.