A serious question before Sundays game

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade, I'm not here to bring jump the gun sunshine either. I'm not going to say whether we are going to win or not this coming Sunday in Philadelphia. We have threads already up to do all of that and fair enough.

I do have a very important DC question however and I want us fans to ask ourselves it before we go out saying whether we win, lose or even win if "this team plays the way I know it can", I hear that one a lot and feel it is very contradicting. That's because the only level of football this team has showed us is inconsistent and that does not indicate the proven ability to win. Anyways, the question is.

Has this team in any single game this season played equally effective football on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters? I ask this because that's the type of play you would think can lead to a victory in this next game and if so take you deep into the playoffs. Please honestly answer this question.

slotshot

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2518766 said:
I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade, I'm not here to bring jump the gun sunshine either. I'm not going to say whether we are going to win or not this coming Sunday in Philadelphia. We have threads already up to do all of that and fair enough.

I do have a very important DC question however and I want us fans to ask ourselves it before we go out saying whether we win, lose or even win if "this team plays the way I know it can", I hear that one a lot and feel it is very contradicting. That's because the only level of football this team has showed us is inconsistent and that does not indicate the proven ability to win. Anyways, the question is.

Has this team in any single game this season played equally effective football on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters? I ask this because that's the type of play you would think can lead to a victory in this next game and if so take you deep into the playoffs. Please honestly answer this question.

Green Bay...maybe?

1fisher

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2518766 said:

Good question.... I think Cleveland was ok and GB was equally effetive.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2518766 said:

The Seattle game was pretty solid all around.

grp05

Reaction score
Seattle, for sure. Against a team with a winning record? Maybe not.

This is kind of a trick question though. Teams always soften up during a blowout. You can easily say we got outplayed in the 4th by San Francisco, but that won't bother anyone.

It's impossible for us to play a close game against a good team and be consistently good on both sides of the ball. If we win 45-40, it's good offense and bad defense. If we win 20-15, it's good defense but struggling offense.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
slotshot;2518812 said:
Green Bay...maybe?

It's a toss up between the GB and NYG game which neither were a complete game by any means. I think the NYG game was our best of the season and it took us till 2 1/2 qtrs in to get some offense going. The bottom line is, it's extremely hard to convincingly say any game this season and we played the Rams, Seahwaks and 49ers.

This is what totally creeps me out about this team. People say if we play the way we can we'll win. The way we've played all season will not win this next game or in the playoffs. We need 4 qtrs of play and both sides of the ball equally contributing. Unfortunately, that's not Cowboy football this season. I hope that does change though and no more perfect of a time than this coming Sunday.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Maybe this team just isn't as good as we all had thought.

Daudr

Reaction score
To me it seems that this team has a problem believing its own press. When the chips are down, they pull out a gritty win, but then they get back on the "darling" list and promptly don't show up prepared for the next game. I can only hope that stops this weekend and they start preparing for every game like they should.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
grp05;2518828 said:
Seattle, for sure. Against a team with a winning record? Maybe not.

This is kind of a trick question though. Teams always soften up during a blowout. You can easily say we got outplayed in the 4th by San Francisco, but that won't bother anyone.

It's impossible for us to play a close game against a good team and be consistently good on both sides of the ball. If we win 45-40, it's good offense and bad defense. If we win 20-15, it's good defense but struggling offense.

You're point about softening up during blowouts is valid but not a champions mentality and this game is 4 quarters. None of those games our starting QB came out earlier than 5 minutes left unless he was injured.

Seattle is a no in my books because the offense played 1 half of football while the defense played throughout the game and got better as it went on. Philly can say St. Louis 38-3, Arizona 48-20, Seattle 26-7, Atlanta 27-14 and Cleveland 30-10. I saw all 5 of those games and both sides of the ball for 4 quarters was played and 4 out of 5 of those games were at home. Philly could also tell you they stunk games up but their killer instinct is at least 50/50 and killer instinct, especially at home, wins games like this coming Sunday.

Captain Cupcake (Wade) and The Prince of the Ivey Leagues (Garrett) better get that killer instinct thermometer out and test the mettle of this team. I want these guys starving and I want relentless, vicious, 4 quarters of evil football from both sides of the ball executing the utter most precision. That's all that should buy these 2 "coaches" another week at their current careers with this team.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2518845 said:

ding ding!!!

lights flashing!!

sirens wailing!!

tell him what he's won johnny!!!!!

hoof....you just won a brand new ...........................station wagon.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we end the season 5-2, with the run of teams we've played in that span, I'll feel pretty confident that we've got a shot in the first playoff game, whoever it is.

I was really disappointed in the offensive adjustments v. BALT, and in the poor tackling, of course, but I do recognize how hard it is to sustain the level of energy we were tapping into against PIT and NYG. I do think the BALT game was a bit of a letdown.

That said, PHI is capable of beating us at full strength, anyway. We can bring our A game in all three phases and still get shellacked.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2518845 said:

Yes Sir! In fact, I'm leaning more too probably not as good as we thought.

Originally posted by Lane:

ding ding!!!

lights flashing!!

sirens wailing!!

LOL! Pretty much! Poor Hoof only gets the truth for getting the big picture. As we have.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Idgit;2518899 said:
If we end the season 5-2, with the run of teams we've played in that span, I'll feel pretty confident that we've got a shot in the first playoff game, whoever it is.

I was really disappointed in the offensive adjustments v. BALT, and in the poor tackling, of course, but I do recognize how hard it is to sustain the level of energy we were tapping into against PIT and NYG. I do think the BALT game was a bit of a letdown.

That said, PHI is capable of beating us at full strength, anyway. We can bring our A game in all three phases and still get shellacked.

Awesome post by the way!

I totally agree with everything you just said 110% but we still need the minimum 4 quarters of lights out football, even though we could still lose giving that effort. They will bring us one cold war in Philly this week.

I don't care what happened in Washington yesterday. They get especially fired up against us, they have to win to get in the playoffs and that team responds to their fans who will bombard them if they lose this over there.

We need everybody's best from owner down this week. Even the mop boy better shine those hallway floors extra nice this week around the ranch, Christmas or no Christmas.

grp05

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2518884 said:
You're point about softening up during blowouts is valid but not a champions mentality and this game is 4 quarters. None of those games our starting QB came out earlier than 5 minutes left unless he was injured.

Seattle is a no in my books because the offense played 1 half of football while the defense played throughout the game and got better as it went on. Philly can say St. Louis 38-3, Arizona 48-20, Seattle 26-7, Atlanta 27-14 and Cleveland 30-10. I saw all 5 of those games and both sides of the ball for 4 quarters was played and 4 out of 5 of those games were at home. Philly could also tell you they stunk games up but their killer instinct is at least 50/50 and killer instinct, especially at home, wins games like this coming Sunday.

Captain Cupcake (Wade) and The Prince of the Ivey Leagues (Garrett) better get that killer instinct thermometer out and test the mettle of this team. I want these guys starving and I want relentless, vicious, 4 quarters of evil football from both sides of the ball executing the utter most precision. That's all that should buy these 2 "coaches" another week at their current careers with this team.

I looked up those games. I couldn't find the Arizona 48-20. Philly was definitely a 4q beatdown. Atlanta definitely didn't play 4 full quarters. They got outscored 10-0 in the 4th. I'll assume you mean the Browns 35-14 win over NYG. They didn't play a complete 4q at all. They only scored 6 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters combined and gave up 14 in the second. These teams had up and down moments just like us. Granted, they aren't exactly championship contenders either.

I just think it's okay to have up and down moments, even within a game. Look at Super Bowl 28 for instance. Dallas only managed 6 points in the first half, then erupted for 24 in the second. The defense gave up 13 points in the first half, then pitched a shutout the rest of the way.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
grp05;2519002 said:
I looked up those games. I couldn't find the Arizona 48-20. Philly was definitely a 4q beatdown. Atlanta definitely didn't play 4 full quarters. They got outscored 10-0 in the 4th. I'll assume you mean the Browns 35-14 win over NYG. They didn't play a complete 4q at all. They only scored 6 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters combined and gave up 14 in the second. These teams had up and down moments just like us. Granted, they aren't exactly championship contenders either.

I just think it's okay to have up and down moments, even within a game. Look at Super Bowl 28 for instance. Dallas only managed 6 points in the first half, then erupted for 24 in the second. The defense gave up 13 points in the first half, then pitched a shutout the rest of the way.

Each of those 5 games I posted were Philly wins and I'm saying Philly played 4 quarters of football on both sides of the ball against each of those teams. Besides the numbers I watched the games as I do most of them during the week. Now I'm not saying they are better or are going to win or lose, I'm saying they have shown killer instinct and 4 qtrs of football on both sides of the ball in those 5 games. 4 out of those 5 games were at home and I don't think that's a coincidence either. Here are Philly's regular season results anyways so it is more clear.

Philly Regular Season

1 Sep 07 STL 3 @ PHI 38 Final

2 Sep 15 PHI 37 @ DAL 41 Final

3 Sep 21 PIT 6 @ PHI 15 Final

4 Sep 28 PHI 20 @ CHI 24 Final

5 Oct 05 WAS 23 @ PHI 17 Final

6 Oct 12 PHI 40 @ SF 26 Final

7 Bye

8 Oct 26 ATL 14 @ PHI 27 Final 9 Nov 02 PHI 26 @ SEA 7 Final 10
Nov 09 NYG 36 @ PHI 31 Final11 Nov 16 PHI 13 @ CIN 13 Final 12 Nov 23 PHI 7 @ BAL 36 Final 13 Nov 27 ARI 20 @ PHI 48 Final 14 Dec 07 PHI 20 @ NYG 14 Final 15 Dec 15 CLE 10 @ PHI 30 Final 16 Dec 21 PHI 3 @ WAS 10 Final

djmajestik

Reaction score
lane;2518888 said:
ding ding!!!

lights flashing!!

sirens wailing!!

Station wagon ALA the 2008 Dallas Cowboys

istockphoto_2742281-old-station-wagon-seen-better-days.jpg

newlander

Reaction score
GB,Cle, Seattle: but still patchy in each of those games too. The ultimate answer is: not really.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
newlander;2519328 said:
GB,Cle, Seattle: but still patchy in each of those games too. The ultimate answer is: not really.

Exactly! The last thing I want to hear is people saying, "if the Cowboys play the type of football I know they can play we win". The only football I know the Dallas Cowboys to play this year is inconsistent unbalanced football. There has been nothing complete about this team in any of the games they have played won or lost. We need them to play complete football Sunday and that still does not guarantee the win.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2519513 said:
Exactly! The last thing I want to hear is people saying, "if the Cowboys play the type of football I know they can play we win". The only football I know the Dallas Cowboys to play this year is inconsistent unbalanced football. There has been nothing complete about this team in any of the games they have played won or lost. We need them to play complete football Sunday and that still does not guarantee the win.

Then what the hell are you trying to say then? You talk in circles!

You want both the offense and defense, special teams, water boy...everyone, to play complete football, right?

Then you say "that still does not guarantee the win"?

Have you ever played sports?

:cool: