A short list of what will have to happen in ‘22 to have success

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We are tanking for a new coach and QB. You people don't get it.

What I "get" is you are reading what you want into the situation, and claiming it as something you actually know.

DonaldM

Reaction score
What I "get" is you are reading what you want into the situation, and claiming it as something you actually know.
I know everything, I am an insider. I hang at bars with Booger. Stay tuned.

Creeper

Reaction score
It’s still way too early to declare this off-season successful or not. Not finished with FA and the draft hasn’t happened yet. But it is safe to say it’s been a fairly typical off-season for the Jones front office as we watch teams with a good front office run circles around the Cowboys with both vision and financial creativity.

Remember when people were saying the rams had “mortgaged their future” to win now? Rams GM Les Snead just smiles at people like Stephen Jones and says “hold my beer”.

But here’s my OP question- What must be different about this team next year in order for it take have success? Here’s my list:
  • A mental and physical toughness this team hasn’t shown in a very long time. Last January the niners told us in advance they were going to get physical with us and run the ball down our throats. Then they did just that. If this team is ever going to truly playoff relevant again, this must change.
  • Being able to run the ball consistently again. When this team has a running game, it opens everything else up. Either a better OL or better play calling must be part of this.
  • Better football IQ. Stop the stupid penalties, missed extra points, missed assignments, poor execution, etc. This team got dumber as the season progressed. One of these days maybe- just maybe we’ll have a HC who realizes small details matter. Practices matter. Attention to things like penalties and clock management matter.
  • Being willing to not play Zeke as much even though his contract is huge. Look, we get that he’s paid like a star. He’s not performing that way. Anyone who is honest will say that Tony Pollard was a consistently better RB last year and needs more touches. Pollard will never be a “bell cow”. But he needs more than 5-8 touches in a game.

• Better creativity with the offense. At times it seems like as soon as Kellen Moore shows some creativity he gets a call from Jason Garrett to tap the creative brakes. I just don’t understand. Is it DCs have figured out what his style is and he has no answers? Kellen Moore has to be better or he should be gone.
  • For the first time in 15 years, make the playoffs two years in a row. For a franchise that once made the playoffs in 16 of 17 seasons back in the day, surely they could make it two years in a row for a change.
  • Finally- the bottom line for any Cowboys team right now- at least make a conference championship game. It’s embarrassing that this team can’t get past the divisional round of the playoffs. Until they do this is a giant gorilla on their backs.
This is obviously and incomplete list. What else? What else must change?

I fully agree, but so far they have done nothing to improve the running game. If they use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB then that will be a good sign. But because of the way they handled free agency so far, I think drafting a RB may come later than it should because of the holes they now have elsewhere on the roster.

First thing, the need to hit a home run when they pick an offensive lineman to play LG. The need to hit another home run at WR. They also need a TE, DE, and a DT who can push the pocket. That is an annual need. What I don't like is the Eagles and Giants have 5 picks before we get 1.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
And don’t get me started on Kellen Moore’s play calling for Zeke. Everything was inside the tackles. Maybe that’s because Zeke couldn’t hit the edge and turn the corner, but all the really big runs seemed to be “off tackle”.

I have a suspicion you are right here. Zeke's injury may have hampered the type of plays Moore could call because he didn't have both the footspeed to get to the edge, and bend on his one knee due to the PCL injury.

By the way a typical PCL injury can result in the knee looseness that Wentz suffers from now. One's knee may wobble from time to time. Not great if you are going to try to turn a corner. If you are running straight ahead you could be OK.

Still I think it would rob you of both straight line burst, topline speed and power.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It’s still way too early to declare this off-season successful or not. Not finished with FA and the draft hasn’t happened yet. But it is safe to say it’s been a fairly typical off-season for the Jones front office as we watch teams with a good front office run circles around the Cowboys with both vision and financial creativity.

Remember when people were saying the rams had “mortgaged their future” to win now? Rams GM Les Snead just smiles at people like Stephen Jones and says “hold my beer”.

But here’s my OP question- What must be different about this team next year in order for it take have success? Here’s my list:
  • A mental and physical toughness this team hasn’t shown in a very long time. Last January the niners told us in advance they were going to get physical with us and run the ball down our throats. Then they did just that. If this team is ever going to truly playoff relevant again, this must change.
  • Being able to run the ball consistently again. When this team has a running game, it opens everything else up. Either a better OL or better play calling must be part of this.
  • Better football IQ. Stop the stupid penalties, missed extra points, missed assignments, poor execution, etc. This team got dumber as the season progressed. One of these days maybe- just maybe we’ll have a HC who realizes small details matter. Practices matter. Attention to things like penalties and clock management matter.
  • Being willing to not play Zeke as much even though his contract is huge. Look, we get that he’s paid like a star. He’s not performing that way. Anyone who is honest will say that Tony Pollard was a consistently better RB last year and needs more touches. Pollard will never be a “bell cow”. But he needs more than 5-8 touches in a game.

• Better creativity with the offense. At times it seems like as soon as Kellen Moore shows some creativity he gets a call from Jason Garrett to tap the creative brakes. I just don’t understand. Is it DCs have figured out what his style is and he has no answers? Kellen Moore has to be better or he should be gone.
  • For the first time in 15 years, make the playoffs two years in a row. For a franchise that once made the playoffs in 16 of 17 seasons back in the day, surely they could make it two years in a row for a change.
  • Finally- the bottom line for any Cowboys team right now- at least make a conference championship game. It’s embarrassing that this team can’t get past the divisional round of the playoffs. Until they do this is a giant gorilla on their backs.

Great post....but even with all that happening, i feel the Cowboys have to count on the NFCE sucking again. If not, those victories are gonna be harder to come by. They suck against AFC and above .500 teams. A lot will have to come together to win even the division again, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Blackrain

Reaction score

I'm in agreement bullet these things do need to change .
I think for us to become mentally and physically tough you need a coach that embraces that philosophy.
Just for comparison sake Tom Landry flew bombing missions over Europe and made his players run the landry mile along with running with them. This was a man capable of instilling physical and mental toughness.

I just feel this is a bridge too far to expect from the Pillsbury doughboy.

The ability to run the football is dependent on a few different things and I believe we needed to address the o-line in free agency only because drafting o line out of the first round seems to require a lot of development that we do not have time to wait for.

If Zeke and Pollard are healthy I believe we have enough talent there to run the ball but the offense of line has to be fixed whether it's an infusion of talent or a change in coach there is no way around it.

Being offensively creative is going to be a stumbling block because Kellen Moore is one of Jerry's pet cats and rather than ever admit that we need a real offensive coordinator he will just hire guys to try and help him and expect McCarthy to help him leading to too many chefs in the kitchen and probably even more problems with clock management.
Totally agree about better football IQ but it's hard for me to believe these players are that stupid I believe the culture just lets them become lazy and there is no accountability again a stronger coach is needed.

What I can add to the short list to success is the most dominant defensive lineman in the draft I believe we need to do whatever we have to do to trade up and get Jordan Davis.

A young extremely physical presence that along with Micah and Diggs we could build the defense around and be relevant for years to come

75boyz

Reaction score
I think for us to become mentally and physically tough you need a coach that embraces that philosophy.
Just for comparison sake Tom Landry flew bombing missions over Europe and made his players run the landry mile along with running with them. This was a man capable of instilling physical and mental toughness.

The ability to run the football is dependent on a few different things and I believe we needed to address the o-line in free agency only because drafting o line out of the first round seems to require a lot of development that we do not have time to wait for.

If Zeke and Pollard are healthy I believe we have enough talent there to run the ball but the offense of line has to be fixed whether it's an infusion of talent or a change in coach there is no way around it.

Being offensively creative is going to be a stumbling block because Kellen Moore is one of Jerry's pet cats and rather than ever admit that we need a real offensive coordinator he will just hire guys to try and help him and expect McCarthy to help him leading to too many chefs in the kitchen and probably even more problems with clock management.
Totally agree about better football IQ but it's hard for me to believe these players are that stupid I believe the culture just lets them become lazy and there is no accountability again a stronger coach is needed.

What I can add to the short list to success is the most dominant defensive lineman in the draft I believe we need to do whatever we have to do to trade up and get Jordan Davis.

A young extremely physical presence that along with Micah and Diggs we could build the defense around and be relevant for years to come

Well explained and accurate post.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Good one on the penalties.

Ive always questioned the ability to "work on" that.

McCarthy seems to have a habit of telling people what they want to hear.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For sure. I mean Jerry’s family is growing so more NFL executive positions must be created. His long lost secret love child daughter could be running this thing someday, lol!
I heard she refused the job until they could assure her Dalrymple wouldn't be in the war room.

raven55

Reaction score
the whole concept of people thinking that this season is hopeful for this and that has me laughing. This team will be lucky to win the division much less anything, there are a lot of reasons why one is you have a qb that's on the down swing, a defense that couldn't stop water running out of the bucket much less the run, and now your gonna get too many hands in the fire on offense, you know why mac the burger man isn't at the owners meeting he's running for his life as a head coach the writing is on the wall for him. our running game has just left the building. there are so many reason this whole season is a wash out there isn't enough time in this year to explain it. so just sit at home save your money an watch jerry nuke this season it's all for a reason

75boyz

Reaction score
the whole concept of people thinking that this season is hopeful for this and that has me laughing. This team will be lucky to win the division much less anything, there are a lot of reasons why one is you have a qb that's on the down swing, a defense that couldn't stop water running out of the bucket much less the run, and now your gonna get too many hands in the fire on offense, you know why mac the burger man isn't at the owners meeting he's running for his life as a head coach the writing is on the wall for him. our running game has just left the building. there are so many reason this whole season is a wash out there isn't enough time in this year to explain it. so just sit at home save your money an watch jerry nuke this season it's all for a reason

You are so not entitled to this opinion that as a fan bouncer I'm gonna hafta pull your card.

I think it goes...
Either find another team

OR some kinda personal insult that implies you are not happy in life because you posted a criticism of the team.

I THINK that's how "they" will see your post here.

As for me, I agree with most of it, lol.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Good one on the penalties.

Ive always questioned the ability to "work on" that.

McCarthy seems to have a habit of telling people what they want to hear.
Agreed brother you just look at the guy he may brag about being some tough guy from Pittsburgh but Landry was shot down over Europe and crash landed a plane and somehow everybody survived.

When your coach squares up and runs the mile with you and you better hope you can keep up it sets a standard of respect. He expects you to be at the top of your game and he shows you that he is at the top of his so there's never any questioning.

With McCarthy he just needed a job and needed to get paid and admitted as much and that he would tell Jerry what he wanted to hear just to get the job so how can his players respect that and take him seriously

fivetwos

Reaction score
Agreed brother you just look at the guy he may brag about being some tough guy from Pittsburgh but Landry was shot down over Europe and crash landed a plane and somehow everybody survived.

When your coach squares up and runs the mile with you and you better hope you can keep up it sets a standard of respect. He expects you to be at the top of your game and he shows you that he is at the top of his so there's never any questioning.

With McCarthy he just needed a job and needed to get paid and admitted as much and that he would tell Jerry what he wanted to hear just to get the job so how can his players respect that and take him seriously
The whole thing is a huge overlying problem that we have to hope isn't real.

It probably is.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
When I hear the FO must change. I have zero reaction any more.
I need to breath, drink water and have food.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

That 4th bullet…why is he even on the team? I agree with Moore. He is vastly overrated around here. I think the OL must be better. 2 I will add…Better job stopping the run and be healthy. I think they have a few guys that cannot get hurt. The DL has to be better. They need production from them especially the DTs.

raven55

Reaction score
i'm not trying to be a debbie downer but the facts are the facts if you can't face it well that's life a lot of people can't but since i've been a cowboy fan since i was a kid in 1969 i see what is happening pretty darn clear there's no fog bank in front of my eyes

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think your number 2 point is the only one they can actually do. To me that just means draft a RB.

Dallas could have stopped the run but Parsons got knocked out because they didn’t protect him and the niners pulled a cheap shot move. The game was over right there. The Pats consistently do the same stuff to Dallas with low brow plays. Not to mention every single one of their WR routes is a pick play. So if your saying be one of the winning teams then play dirty or cheat right along the lines of the rule book.

If you want to beat Belichick or Shanahan, pull some punk clock management play or cheap shot their best players like they do to Dallas. The only difference is down here people think that’s not the right way to win and up in New England somewhere they chuckle when it happens because they’ve been doing it for years or stealing playbooks etc.

Last edited: