A short list of what will have to happen in ‘22 to have success

kskboys

Reaction score
I think your number 2 point is the only one they can actually do. To me that just means draft a RB.

Dallas could have stopped the run but Parsons got knocked out because they didn’t protect him and the niners pulled a cheap shot move. The game was over right there. The Pats consistently do the same stuff to Dallas with low brow plays. Not to mention every single one of their WR routes is a pick play. So if your saying be one of the winning teams then play dirty or cheat right along the lines of the rule book.

If you want to beat Belichick or Shanahan, pull some punk clock management play or cheap shot their best players like they do to Dallas. The only difference is down here people think that’s not the right way to win and up in New England somewhere they chuckle when it happens because they’ve been doing it for years or stealing playbooks etc.
If you're depending on your LB's to stop the run, they'll always get hurt.

raven55

Reaction score
good luck with a new running back, but before you go off better look back at the tape dak i can only beat bad team's prescott was bad and on top of that boy wonder set up that game plan to fail also lets face it san fran. is a bully team they like to smack you in the face with there run game. and the idiots defered to a bully team the game was lost before it even started

Preoccupied

Reaction score
It’s still way too early to declare this off-season successful or not. Not finished with FA and the draft hasn’t happened yet. But it is safe to say it’s been a fairly typical off-season for the Jones front office as we watch teams with a good front office run circles around the Cowboys with both vision and financial creativity.

Remember when people were saying the rams had “mortgaged their future” to win now? Rams GM Les Snead just smiles at people like Stephen Jones and says “hold my beer”.

But here’s my OP question- What must be different about this team next year in order for it take have success? Here’s my list:
  • A mental and physical toughness this team hasn’t shown in a very long time. Last January the niners told us in advance they were going to get physical with us and run the ball down our throats. Then they did just that. If this team is ever going to truly playoff relevant again, this must change.
  • Being able to run the ball consistently again. When this team has a running game, it opens everything else up. Either a better OL or better play calling must be part of this.
  • Better football IQ. Stop the stupid penalties, missed extra points, missed assignments, poor execution, etc. This team got dumber as the season progressed. One of these days maybe- just maybe we’ll have a HC who realizes small details matter. Practices matter. Attention to things like penalties and clock management matter.
  • Being willing to not play Zeke as much even though his contract is huge. Look, we get that he’s paid like a star. He’s not performing that way. Anyone who is honest will say that Tony Pollard was a consistently better RB last year and needs more touches. Pollard will never be a “bell cow”. But he needs more than 5-8 touches in a game.

• Better creativity with the offense. At times it seems like as soon as Kellen Moore shows some creativity he gets a call from Jason Garrett to tap the creative brakes. I just don’t understand. Is it DCs have figured out what his style is and he has no answers? Kellen Moore has to be better or he should be gone.
  • For the first time in 15 years, make the playoffs two years in a row. For a franchise that once made the playoffs in 16 of 17 seasons back in the day, surely they could make it two years in a row for a change.
  • Finally- the bottom line for any Cowboys team right now- at least make a conference championship game. It’s embarrassing that this team can’t get past the divisional round of the playoffs. Until they do this is a giant gorilla on their backs.
This is obviously and incomplete list. What else? What else must change?

1. Change owner.
1.1.A. New owner employs General Manager.
1.1.B. New owner employs person/team of operatives who is/are competent at contract management.
2. The above will never happen as it is a family run business.
3. Wait for the Grand-kids to take over and hope they have some insight into the above issues that need to be addressed.

To summarize then:

You are all better off watching Alice in Wonderland.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
1. Change owner.
1.1.A. The new owner employs General Manager.
1.1.B. The new owner employs a person/team of operatives who is/are competent at contract management.
2. The above will never happen as it is a family-run business.
3. Wait for the grandkids to take over and hope they have some insight into the above issues that need to be addressed.

To summarize then:

You are all better off watching Alice in Wonderland.
the awakening of fans is going slowly.

dckid

Reaction score
It’s still way too early to declare this off-season successful or not. Not finished with FA and the draft hasn’t happened yet. But it is safe to say it’s been a fairly typical off-season for the Jones front office as we watch teams with a good front office run circles around the Cowboys with both vision and financial creativity.

Remember when people were saying the rams had “mortgaged their future” to win now? Rams GM Les Snead just smiles at people like Stephen Jones and says “hold my beer”.

But here’s my OP question- What must be different about this team next year in order for it take have success? Here’s my list:
  • A mental and physical toughness this team hasn’t shown in a very long time. Last January the niners told us in advance they were going to get physical with us and run the ball down our throats. Then they did just that. If this team is ever going to truly playoff relevant again, this must change.
  • Being able to run the ball consistently again. When this team has a running game, it opens everything else up. Either a better OL or better play calling must be part of this.
  • Better football IQ. Stop the stupid penalties, missed extra points, missed assignments, poor execution, etc. This team got dumber as the season progressed. One of these days maybe- just maybe we’ll have a HC who realizes small details matter. Practices matter. Attention to things like penalties and clock management matter.
  • Being willing to not play Zeke as much even though his contract is huge. Look, we get that he’s paid like a star. He’s not performing that way. Anyone who is honest will say that Tony Pollard was a consistently better RB last year and needs more touches. Pollard will never be a “bell cow”. But he needs more than 5-8 touches in a game.

• Better creativity with the offense. At times it seems like as soon as Kellen Moore shows some creativity he gets a call from Jason Garrett to tap the creative brakes. I just don’t understand. Is it DCs have figured out what his style is and he has no answers? Kellen Moore has to be better or he should be gone.
  • For the first time in 15 years, make the playoffs two years in a row. For a franchise that once made the playoffs in 16 of 17 seasons back in the day, surely they could make it two years in a row for a change.
  • Finally- the bottom line for any Cowboys team right now- at least make a conference championship game. It’s embarrassing that this team can’t get past the divisional round of the playoffs. Until they do this is a giant gorilla on their backs.
This is obviously and incomplete list. What else? What else must change?
I agree with everything you said, but this has been the problem this century. I don't see how this offseason things will magically change.
Jerry did this on purpose, he does not care about winning a SB. He knows how to keep this team in the spotlight, 7-9 wins, 8-8 is ideal but the season is now 17 games.
I do not expect anything to change. The culture is broken and cannot be fixed unless we get a Micah type player at QB, and that will never happen. Those players don't just grow on trees. We need a Manning, Brady, Burrow type.
Jerry is happy with the product on the field. I think that is the biggest problem fans/ media people dont understand.
Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, If you were in a championship game drought since 1995 what would you do? Would you just come in and do the same thing you did for the past 27 years? He is happy & fully content. He would not change a thing, 3 SB's, highest value franchise, HOF, spotlight 24/7.
In all honesty the only hope we have is the league coming down on Jerry for some of these scandals, force him to sell the team and a tech guy or ultra billionaire comes in and cleans house. The Rot cannot be fixed.

75boyz

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said, but this has been the problem this century. I don't see how this offseason things will magically change.
Jerry did this on purpose, he does not care about winning a SB. He knows how to keep this team in the spotlight, 7-9 wins, 8-8 is ideal but the season is now 17 games.
I do not expect anything to change. The culture is broken and cannot be fixed unless we get a Micah type player at QB, and that will never happen. Those players don't just grow on trees. We need a Manning, Brady, Burrow type.
Jerry is happy with the product on the field. I think that is the biggest problem fans/ media people dont understand.
Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, If you were in a championship game drought since 1995 what would you do? Would you just come in and do the same thing you did for the past 27 years? He is happy & fully content. He would not change a thing, 3 SB's, highest value franchise, HOF, spotlight 24/7.
In all honesty the only hope we have is the league coming down on Jerry for some of these scandals, force him to sell the team and a tech guy or ultra billionaire comes in and cleans house. The Rot cannot be fixed.

Great post.

dckid

Reaction score
Great post.
Lol. Really appreciate your comments. I don't know how things ever change when the guys/gals running the org never change their mindset.
It's always starts with culture and then you build everything else.