A strong case for Urban Meyer as next Cowboys coach

cern

Reaction score
The patriots have had a long history of releasing a player a year early opposed to a year late but tell me all of the big contract players they released leaving them a ton of dead money. Many of the free agents they sign are on 2 year contracts, often times for league minimum because those players as you say want a shot at getting a ring. They have dead money for Antonio Brown, Bennett who they traded to the Cowboys and Gronk who retired. Most of the rest of their dead money is at 100K, 200K chunks.

Lastly my comment wasn't about SIGNING players but if a new coach came in and tried the my way or highway approach with players already under contract will do nothing but create a ton of dead money which will cripple them from creating a good team like it has until last season going all the way back to when the cap started.
the pats also determine early whether or not they can sign a player for the following season. if not, they look to trade them and get out from under their contracts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Urban Cowboy would be the ideal candidate for Dallas' next HC. Without getting into it, there's only one problem why Jones wouldn't allow it. Urban would want to bring his own staff and rule the roost. Something Jerry has yet to allow.

I don't subscribe to that theory any longer. At one point, it was undoubtedly true, the Dave Campo era was clear evidence of that. But when Jones hired Bill Parcells, he showed that he was willing to hand over the keys to a strong, qualified head coach. At that point, the cycle was broken, and the myth debunked.

Jones wants to win.

I like that "Urban Cowboy" line by the way. It sells itself.
:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't subscribe to that theory any longer. At one point, it was undoubtedly true, the Dave Campo era was clear evidence of that. But when Jones hired Bill Parcells, he showed that he was willing to hand over the keys to a strong, qualified head coach. At that point, the cycle was broken, and the myth debunked.

Jones wants to win.

Disagree, the keys were handed over to get the stadium deal done. That was the only reason and the only other time was to get the team into the black, both were financial motivations which no longer exist.

Jones does want to win, just not bad enough.

cern

Reaction score
jimmy was actually (still is) a genius, by virtue of his I.q. it is unfair to compare him to other coaches of average or slightly higher intelligence. that's like comparing your high school science teacher to Einstein. jimmy created the draft value analysis chart before his first nfl draft. everyone uses it today.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree, the keys were handed over to get the stadium deal done. That was the only reason and the only other time was to get the team into the black, both were financial motivations which no longer exist.

That's cool.

I know there are quite a few people that still believe that story.

I'm not one of them.

cern

Reaction score

do you suppose that when jerry went to bank of America to procure a loan in excess of several hundred million dollars he listed bill parcells as collateral???? I have never bought into the theory of bringing in parcells to get the new stadium. financially, it makes no sense at all.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
do you suppose that when jerry went to bank of America to procure a loan in excess of several hundred million dollars he listed bill parcells as collateral???? I have never bought into the theory of bringing in parcells to get the new stadium. financially, it makes no sense at all.
Credibility in order to get what he wanted. The team was doing poorly on the field and what name could he bring in that would raise eyebrows and point to the owner being serious about winning? Add to that this was the most HC hands on/GM hands off HC that he could hire and it rattled the media the week he did it. It was the Wow! deed of the year.

The fact that the team turned to 10-6 and made the playoffs sent the signal they were back on track. And Booger had made the one ultimate sacrifice of not only acquiescing team control but taking himself out as the spokesperson and face of the team. And according to Broaddus.it put him into such a deep depression that it made him ill.

You do realize he also went to the NFL for a loan, don't you? Think him hiring Parcells had nothing to do with that? He needed cred with them because he was looking like a train wreck of an owner and a questionable investment. Don't you think they asked themselves "can he and will he do what's necessary to max out that team"?

I couldn't disagree more, it makes perfect financial sense and he wouldn't have gotten what he wanted without dong that. He didn't just want a new stadium, he wanted that stadium. Or they could have blown the one down in Irving and played at the Cotton Bowl while a new one was constructed, but not like that one. That venue is what it's about, that's what it's always been about.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As a coach who could likely be successful with the Cowboys, Urban Meyer stands out quite convincingly. His state of health is the main problem that really concerns me. It's been somewhat shaky for some time now.

Urban has an arachnoid cyst in his brain that causes terrible headaches, requires constant treatment by his doctor and he also requires occasional breaks. Other than that, the signs do seemingly point to his potential success, although, it's obviously never guaranteed. In any case, it certainly promises to be an intriguing offseason, once 2019 arrives at its conclusion. Changes are in the offing. Here's hoping everything goes well.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Barry Switzer. Don't try to use "every" as if it's some well-established, blanket statement of fact, it isn't.

yes, barry switzer out of 10s of coaches and that was 25 years ago and if that's your only case, then you already fail...anyone recent in the past 10 years?

and Switzer failed too. he walked into the most loaded team in NFL history with 5 HOFers on the roster and a team that just won the superbowl and he failed in reaching it again...when the HOFers on the team put him in the back seat, Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin then the team succeeded. He also had the same coaching staff that was there before.....

a new coach, with a whole new coaching staff...seriously....no really....are you serious about this shiet?

And all talent needs to be developed. That's the point.
always...no denying. but in college major programs is much easier, because they recruit the best talent....that's the point.....

Not true.

absolutely true.....you are wrong about not having a scouting dept. Jason Garrett's father put the Aikman scouting report together...it was published a while back...… so to think Jimmy just knew all the talent in college and chose his players, makes you look amateurish....

And this Cowboys team is loaded too, that's the point. And everyone who covers the league knows it, and makes clear that any issues the Cowboys may have aren't the result of any lack of player talent. The word is out, and everyone knows where the Cowboys problems truly lie. Even the enabling owner is starting to realize that.

not loaded like the 92, 93 team....this team has talent, but its in level with most other contenders, and coaching is what is going to make the difference.....and a college coach, learning is not going to be the difference maker......everyone knows that.

Meyer has succeeded everywhere he's gone, and quickly, again and again and again. His track record is as good as anyone we could otherwise get. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears. But I have to think that this is all about simply trying to poke holes in someone else's idea while not having your own. That's easy.
no denying meyer has succeeded, so did saban, so did all the others I listed for you previously.....but he succeeded in college...

I like Greg Roman the Baltimore OC
I like Pete Carmichael from New Orleans...who has been working under Peyton
John Difllipo would be a distant choice.....
Eric Bienemy who is in KC working under Andy Reid
Don Martindale from the ravens, somehow despite all the turnovers, they always have some of the best defenses in the league.
Matt ebberfleus in Indy who was with the cowboys, a DC in the making who left because he didnt' want to be in the middle of Jerry Drama for coaching...

if any college coaches, I like Shaw who is the head coach at Stanford and runs a very NFL like offense and his teams always competitive despite not having any of the other big name college talents....

quickccc

Reaction score

Jones wants to win.

hiring da Tuna Parcells was just a qualified HC. That's a legendary successful high profile HC name and reputedly THE very best in the entire NFL,
that Jerry was flirting to get, so he had to succumb to it. (parcel's bringing in his own entire staff)

you think Jerry could have persuaded Parcells to be HC (something many and most thought would never have a slim chance of happening) by doing it any different ?

and here's another thing that the Jerry gripers never bring up, why did the ego dominant Parcells give in to the HC offer here , knowing how ego driven Jerry himself can be ?
what I always heard from past Parcells in interviews: " Jerry is committed to winning, " and the gripers can cut that here and there to their liking as they like.

quickccc

Reaction score
Meyer also has his own controversial past baggage with him, .. he’s been out of football for a while, ..and how is he health that was thought to have force him away from football ?

Plus its’ a college coach that has to make his own adjustment period to the NFL, and we dunno if/how much Jerry may insist upon this and that assist/position coach to stay and remain.
But it sounds like an exciting fantasy for fans and media, and that will keep it going,

I wonder if we will eventually see a Urban Meyer vs Lincoln Riley article down the road.

MaaS

Reaction score
NFL success for even the best college coaches isn't a guarantee, but I'd be thrilled with this hire.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes, barry switzer out of 10s of coaches and that was 25 years ago and if that's your only case, then you already fail...anyone recent in the past 10 years?

I don't need to. I'm not the guy serving in his opinion as fact like you are. Your absolute was debunked and now you want to try to put conditions on it? We know who's "failing".

and Switzer failed too. he walked into the most loaded team in NFL history with 5 HOFers on the roster and a team that just won the superbowl and he failed in reaching it again...when the HOFers on the team put him in the back seat, Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin then the team succeeded. He also had the same coaching staff that was there before.....

Yawn. Now two Championship Gems and. Super Bowl win is "failing"? Again, it's easy to see who is actually "failing" in this debate. Find a mirror, look into it.

a new coach, with a whole new coaching staff...seriously....no really....are you serious about this shiet?

More serious than some clown making **** up and trying to pass it off as fact anyway.

always...no denying. but in college major programs is much easier, because they recruit the best talent....that's the point.....

Glad we can agree on something anyway.

absolutely true.....you are wrong about not having a scouting dept. Jason Garrett's father put the Aikman scouting report together...it was published a while back...… so to think Jimmy just knew all the talent in college and chose his players, makes you look amateurish....

I never dealt in absolutes. But you create Strawman arguments for your clearly failing case. Reach some more.

not loaded like the 92, 93 team....this team has talent, but its in level with most other contenders, and coaching is what is going to make the difference.....and a college coach, learning is not going to be the difference maker......everyone knows that.

You're speaking for yourself my alone. There's not "everyone". Get over yourself. You're failing here, and that's your failure alone. Nobody is consigning that failure with you.

no denying meyer has succeeded, so did saban, so did all the others I listed for you previously.....but he succeeded in college...

So success is now a bad thing? The reaching gets to desperation.

Don Martindale from the ravens, somehow despite all the turnovers, they always have some of the best defenses in the league.
Matt ebberfleus in Indy who was with the cowboys, a DC in the making who left because he didnt' want to be in the middle of Jerry Drama for coaching...

if any college coaches, I like Shaw who is the head coach at Stanford and runs a very NFL like offense and his teams always competitive despite not having any of the other big name college talents....

Some good choices there, I'll give you that. But few that would help the defense, this team's biggest issue right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hiring da Tuna Parcells was just a qualified HC. That's a legendary successful high profile HC name and reputedly THE very best in the entire NFL,
that Jerry was flirting to get, so he had to succumb to it. (parcel's bringing in his own entire staff)

you think Jerry could have persuaded Parcells to be HC (something many and most thought would never have a slim chance of happening) by doing it any different ?

Absolutely not. And that's the point. It shows Jerry is capable of making those type of concessions to get the right coach.

and here's another thing that the Jerry gripers never bring up, why did the ego dominant Parcells give in to the HC offer here , knowing how ego driven Jerry himself can be ?
what I always heard from past Parcells in interviews: " Jerry is committed to winning, " and the gripers can cut that here and there to their liking as they like.

Parcells has nothing but good things to say about Jerry, despite the fact that he doesn't need to if he felt otherwise. But that blows up the "meddling owner" narrative so the Jerry bashers try to ignore it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would prefer a coach that is already within the NFL ranks and one that would be his own DC or OC and balance that with a strong other. Then we won't have to keep asking "what's he doing on the sideline"?

There's a reason college coaches struggle in the NFL and part of that is the competition level and the difference in a 53 v 80 player team. If a new HC were given the luxury of hiring his own staff, how well connected would he be within the NFL ranks?

The one plus for Meyer that by open soliciting for the job, he's shown he understands it. Coaching is a very small fraternity and these guys talk so it's safe to assume he knows what that job entails and the first move is the subrogation of his ego to that of the owner's. Johnson wouldn't do that and Parcells didn't have to but that is the requirement of any HC of the this team. Know their place and stay in it.

quickccc

Reaction score

I don't want to pursue a Roman to feel the need to mimic- copy cat what the Ravens do with Lamar Jackson, when Dak is proving he can have his own form and version of success in
this Moore- Kitna version where he is really on a roll now. .. not even this discussion board do we hear quite the number the gripes and rants of Dak " being a bust, a disappointment,
..we need to let him go FA,.. trade him, etc. on and on as it used to be.

- What needs to be done, is find ( or keep ?) the coach(es) that will give us the best chance to keep this rhythm offense that Dak has mastered and in his comfortable than having to
restructure and Prescott has to learn another coaches version of mechanics, system and style of offense, ask him to do things differently than what he is in now, etc.

- We have Dak at the level that we've been trying to get him at as a pure passer, as a much more efficient, more accurate passer, .. that's where his mode is and where we need to continue at.

- I really do not care for Dak to have to be a Lamar Jackson runner, let the Ravens use him as such in that manner, but this Dak does that as a scrambling passer, and very occasional surprise RPO,but he's making his mark as a pocket passer, in this very updated version

- with the Zeke issues we already having... why on earth would we consider John Difllipo, even as a distant choice. .. should NEVER even be a thought, with the way he totally ignore the run game, which clearly led to his firing. Davin Cook would have never had a chance tp lead NFL in rushing, ....much less Zeke .. under that guy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely not. And that's the point. It shows Jerry is capable of making those type of concessions to get the right coach.

Parcells has nothing but good things to say about Jerry, despite the fact that he doesn't need to if he felt otherwise. But that blows up the "meddling owner" narrative so the Jerry bashers try to ignore it.
Really? Why do you think Parcells demanded total control of the team, including coaches and scouts. Do you think he would have sat at Parcells' coaches table with a hands off comment about Elliott?

Why do you think Garrett is there, and remains there, in the first place? Think Booger was as "comfortable" with Parcells as he was with Phillips and is with Garrett?