A Touch of Hostility... Cowboys 2011 Draft

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Some people may disagree with me on this, but I really liked the Draft coming before Free Agency. I think it provided us more reason not to reach for Draft picks. Usually after Free Agency you know exactly which holes are left and you focus your draft there. This way we instead focus Free Agency on the holes left by the Draft, and if we had by chance filled the holes we can save the money it costs and possibly have more chances at Compensatory picks for guys we lose if any qualify.

It is purely a strategic preference for me, but I do prefer it.

Okay, we didn't move up to get Patrick Peterson and worse I had to see the hated Cardinals take him. I'm fine with that. The price it cost Atlanta to get to where we might have moved up (Cleveland at 6) just wasn't going to be worth the move. I said all along that he had to be there and he wasn't. So that is a moot point anyway and I never dwell on guys we don't get. Unless he has a good game against us I doubt I'll mention him much down the road. I will consider him like Patrick Willis, a player I liked but we didn't get. Move on. I did the second he was not there any more.

I never bought into Mosley's stuff about Castonzo and Watt at 9. I really didn't believe we would trade down either but my final pre-Draft thread I did discuss it because with Jerry you never know. For example, who knew he wouldn't make a single Draft day trade? Raise your hands. I didn't. I was however, pretty certain if Tyron Smith was there at 9 we were going to take him.

I admit often, I am a Pac 10 homer. I love this pick. The kid is an absolute mauler. His attitude is perfect for the job we need him to do. In fact, you can say that about most of the kids we took. I am going to tell you something that I firmly believe we will see during Jason Garrett's time as our Head Coach. He is going to draft to fit his systems. Pittsburgh does that. People thought they reached for Lamarr Woodley. They plugged him in and it was perfect. I do not mind this approach to a Draft.

So what is Garrett's system? Aggression. Come out aggressive, stay aggressive, and finish hard. I believe this is why he wanted Rob Ryan. I believe this is why he wanted Jimmy Robinson. I believe this is why he wanted Mike Woicik back in Dallas. He is going to get guys who play aggressive on both sides of the ball and Special Teams.

Tyron Smith does this. He's very good at blocking kicks by the way. Much like Flo used to do, he gets his big ole paw up there quickly and tips low trajectory kicks.

Smith's main job however we all know. Keep Tony Romo vertical so the pinball machine bells and lights work. When Tony goes horizontal, this team flat lines. It took a very special season with a mid season coaching change and an amazing effort by Jon Kitna (I once again admit he shut me the hell up) to keep last season from being far worse than it ended up.

I believe Smith could be moved to the Left side, but I wouldn't. Who cares about LT and RT paychecks? I don't. Erik Williams used to be our best O-lineman. Rayfield Wright used to be our best O-lineman. They both played RT, not LT. You can put your best guy at RT, and yes, I do think he is going to be our best guy on the OL.

I know many were upset about the Bruce Carter pick because of the ACL injury. I understand that completely. However, I don't mind the team going after a talented football player and they did. Bruce Carter is a heat seeking missile and he is going to end up a starter in Dallas for a long time. I am saying this right now, he is better in coverage than Kevin Burnett was. Rangy, versatile and comes with his lunch pail packed. People hate the pick right now. They won't hate it once he hits the football field. I know 2011 is sort of iffy for him given the injury. I believe he will play. He blocked 5 punts at North Carolina. I love that nose for the ball stuff.

If Andy Dalton had not been drafted by the Bengals he would have been our pick at 40 and then people really would have complained. So less complaining is good.

I knew that barber was likely on his way out. High price and low production. It's really too bad because there really is no questioning his heart. The problem is his body no longer responds to what his heart strives for. So I am not at all surprised we took a RB. I was a little surprised we took one in the 3rd round with Will Rackley still there. I know they liked Rackley. I am assuming they felt Murray and Arkin was preferable to Rackley and whomever the RB in the 4th would have been. Again, go for your system. If Murray better fits Garrett's system it matters. How would he fit better/ I am assuming as a receiver out of the backfield and Special Teams contributions.

I knew nothing about David Arkin except one thing. Every draft guide or scouting report I read on him said he was either mean or nasty. Now if he can just add some evil and wicked he is the perfect OG. One of my all time favorite O-linemen was Kevin Gogan because he was evil, wicked, mean, and nasty. If Arkin can do that, and listening to him you think that is what he wants so bad his blood boils, then this was an outstanding pick. I knew nothing about him before the pick. I hope I can't stop raving about him around the time Camp gets here, and yes we will have football.

I think Dwayne Harris is the steal of our Draft. Miles is not a slot WR, though he can play there. Roy is not a slot WR, though he too can play there. Dez is not a slot WR, though he can play anywhere. A true slot WR is a great weapon on any football team. The slot WR is the guy who isn't afraid to be in the middle of the field with people zeroed in to get him. If you saw the videos posted of Harris you know he likes the traffic and often beats the traffic. I honestly believe this kid will be a pleasant surprise on this Offense and he will add on Special Teams too. I know many of you hate that, but it is a very real part of winning.

My apologies to the Zone member who gave me the heads up about Joshua Thomas back in February, but I cannot remember who it was and I don't want to sift though all the PMs trying to find it. I wish I had paid better attention. Everything that poster told me about Thomas is what the scouting reports say about him.I looked at him several times in my Mocks for the late rounds, but I never put him in any of them. He's going to be a depth player, but at our thinnest position and if Newman is cut as some speculate (including me) it is even thinner. He is a Cowboys fan who is living his dream and his attitude seems great about what he wants to do.

It is no secret that I love Fullbacks. Fullback is the opposite end of the spectrum from Kicker for me. Fullback is real football. Fullback is about sacrifice every single play. It is about blitz pickup, hole opens, and it is about being the ball carrier's wingman as he gets the glory. Ask any FB if he'd rather score the winning TD or open the hole for the winning TD and most will tell you open the hole.

I paid no attention to Shaun Chapas. None at all. I was too fixated upon Owen Marecic early and Henry Hynoski late. I even got discouraged when there were never any links of Hynoski to the Cowboys. I was actually afraid we might go into 2011 with Gronkowski again. Understand something, I like Gronk. He is a Wildcat alum like me and he is a hard worker. But I never shy away from getting better at any position and the Cowboys clearly ranked Chapas higher than Hynoski. If he improves the position, this is a great late win.

I never even considered Bill Nagy either. I figured he would not get drafted and he almost didn't. Made it by that much.

I never get too upset when Offensive linemen are drafted from Boston College or Wisconsin. Both seem to turn out some great players on the OL. You still see the occasional bust, but when you get a good one they are a good one for a long time. That is what I hope happens with Nagy. I hope he was there just because of the injury and he is a good one in the making.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I dont agree with the whole "Jerry wouldnt trade" talk. We knew he might trade, but it really seemed like Garrett was taking control and we didnt know what Garrett would do with his draft. Now we have a base line and I like the first one so far.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it appears to have been a very blue collar type draft. I'm excited about the type of player we're bringing in and can actually say I agreed with every single one of your points. Rob & Red together will uplift this team to even greater heights and the infusion of young talent will push the vets to step up their games or step aside.

Interesting note... On my way in to work today, I noticed I had missed a call yesterday. Upon checking the voicemail, I was informed by an old buddy from HS that Tyron Smith grew up in the same town as me (Moreno Valley, CA). His family's house is 4 houses down from my very excited friend on the same street. My friend went on to say that we nabbed a high character all around great guy with the 1st round pick. Apparently Tyron worked with his parents for some years as they hustled to keep a cleaning business going. He was working with them right up until the draft. I'm guessing that cleaning business might not be around for much longer. ;)

The call started with "Aren't you a Cowboys fan" and just got better from there.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bleu Star;3938878 said:
Interesting note... On my way in to work today, I noticed I had missed a call yesterday. Upon checking the voicemail, I was informed by an old buddy from HS that Tyron Smith grew up in the same town as me (Moreno Valley, CA). His family's house is 4 houses down from my very excited friend on the same street. My friend went on to say that we nabbed a high character all around great guy with the 1st round pick. Apparently Tyron worked with his parents for some years as they hustled to keep a cleaning business going. He was working with them right up until the draft.
In Tyron's Press Conference Jerry brought this up. He started in the family business at 4 years old and did it all through college even. Jerry asked him if he understood the value of a dollar and Tyron said, "yes sir."

I for one, thought that was the most compelling look into the kid's character that we could have been given. Naturally the idiot Steve Dennis missed the point and wanted to focus on his goal of being a HOF player and whether or not it is arrogant to state goals like that.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Nice write up Hos (per the usual). My question for you is about DeMarco Murray. I'm a huge Longhorn fan and hated the way he would carve them up. I know this kid has mad skillz. He says he intends to beef up to 220lbs. If that happens, and there is a gun to your head, who starts: Murray or Felix?

Either way, the Cowboys have 2 backs that have homerun capabilities which has to be a headache for defensive coordinators to game plan for.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Texas_Pete;3938890 said:
Nice write up Hos (per the usual). My question for you is about DeMarco Murray. I'm a huge Longhorn fan and hated the way he would carve them up. I know this kid has mad skillz. He says he intends to beef up to 220lbs. If that happens, and there is a gun to your head, who starts: Murray or Felix?

Either way, the Cowboys have 2 backs that have homerun capabilities which has to be a headache for defensive coordinators to game plan for.
I would start Felix because if we do go to a 3 WR set like I hope, you need a RB who will make a team pay big time if they key on the pass. Maybe Murray can do that but we know Felix can and I'd use that until he had his wings.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Hostile;3938885 said:
In Tyron's Press Conference Jerry brought this up. He started in the family business at 4 years old and did it all through college even. Jerry asked him if he understood the value of a dollar and Tyron said, "yes sir."

I for one, thought that was the most compelling look into the kid's character that we could have been given. Naturally the idiot Steve Dennis missed the point and wanted to focus on his goal of being a HOF player and whether or not it is arrogant to state goals like that.

We definitely got something special in the 1st. Love this kid.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Hostile;3938853 said:
Some people may disagree with me on this, but I really liked the Draft coming before Free Agency. I think it provided us more reason not to reach for Draft picks. Usually after Free Agency you know exactly which holes are left and you focus your draft there. This way we instead focus Free Agency on the holes left by the Draft, and if we had by chance filled the holes we can save the money it costs and possibly have more chances at Compensatory picks for guys we lose if any qualify.

It is purely a strategic preference for me, but I do prefer it.
Hostile;3938853 said:
I absolutley agree with this as well. Move the draft up to mid-march get rid of all those redundant pro days (hey that's what the combines for) and start free agency the following monday or something like this.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Hostile;3938885 said:

I don't think he missed any points there. That wasn't an interesting point for him or for his story.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I think moving the Draft day to mid march would probably increase participation at the Combine and virtually eliminate Pro Days.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;3938914 said:
I don't think he missed any points there. That wasn't an interesting point for him or for his story.
You have more faith in him than I ever will. I think he's a total freaking idiot about football.

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
Hostile;3938885 said:

Nothing new with Steve Dennis. ;)

You had Carter with 5 blocked punts Rob Phillips claims 6. Not that it matters. Either number is pretty impressive.
If healthy, Carter could make an immediate impact on special teams. He had a school career-record seven blocked kicks (six punts, one field goal) at North Carolina.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=B2EAEFA3-EC1D-C976-78221B73890AEC18

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Hostile;3938918 said:
You have more faith in him than I ever will. I think he's a total freaking idiot about football.

Since I listen to him on local radio a lot, he is not a total idiot for sure. Does he has some idiotic views at times? Sure. He just like to be loud and obnoxious at times though.

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
Joe Realist;3938917 said:
I would definitely be onboard with draft first, free agency later.
I was thinking about that yesterday. Seems to make more sense. Draft what you can and fill in the gaps with free agents.

RS12

Reaction score
I think Garrett got his guys to try and implement and win with his system as it should be. I like the idea of the guys being brought having more mobility to expand the playbook. I also like the idea that Romo hopefully wont be running for his life this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;3938925 said:
Since I listen to him on local radio a lot, he is not a total idiot for sure. Does he has some idiotic views at times? Sure. He just like to be loud and obnoxious at times though.
I commend for your strong stomach. He turns mine.