A Touch of Hostility... Cowboys 2011 Draft

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hostile;3939832 said:
Probably not relevant to anyone but me, but on the Cowboys Lunch Break Show the hosts mentioned watching film of David Arkin and being amazed that they saw what Jason Garrett was saying about how he finishes every block.

Relevant? You bet...as that is a judgement value that is getting more than mouth support by those running the show. Finishing and controlling what might become a big plays. Small running accumulations don't kill most opponents, but big plays do. This adds to it...

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
While I do feel better about this draft class now, a few days after the fact. I do still have questions - like alot of us. Smith, as I have said before, during and after was absolutely the right pick and will be for years to come. Left or right tackle, lets leave that up to the coach's to figure out, (right to start and maybe shifted over after the first year or two). Carter, Im still out on - bigger needs I thought. Murray - I have grown into this pick, maybe more of a need than we all realised.
Harris is the pick I love, I wanted Greg Salas out of UH for this roll (slot) but Harris is a great pick and I am really happy with this move. The rest, will leave that up to the team to figure out - here is my question though -
We still have alot of holes, and as the highest payroll in football now, how many FA can we realistically bring in ? Safety is a must. Another corner ? Maybe not. DE is also a must I think. But, now we will certainly get into a bidding war for any free agents, as we are not the only team that did not address this position. What about a right guard ?
So I see we need at least 2 starters, guard and safety. Plus the resigning of our own FA's - which won't be cheap. Do we resign all 3 of our DE's, or 2 and a FA.What about Sensy ? I said during the draft that I thought this draft was feeling like the 09 debacle, after the fact, I don't feel that way at all. We made good strides I feel, and will eagerly watch to see what else we do. We will be a stronger team for sure, one more good draft should propell us to superbowl contention, by itself this draft does not. But I think we are moving in the right direction, and Dallas is today a better team because of this draft. Just my 2 cents at this time...

CCBoy

Reaction score
kiheikiwi;3939878 said:
While I do feel better about this draft class now, a few days after the fact. I do still have questions - like alot of us. Smith, as I have said before, during and after was absolutely the right pick and will be for years to come. Left or right tackle, lets leave that up to the coach's to figure out, (right to start and maybe shifted over after the first year or two). Carter, Im still out on - bigger needs I thought. Murray - I have grown into this pick, maybe more of a need than we all realised.
Harris is the pick I love, I wanted Greg Salas out of UH for this roll (slot) but Harris is a great pick and I am really happy with this move. The rest, will leave that up to the team to figure out - here is my question though -
We still have alot of holes, and as the highest payroll in football now, how many FA can we realistically bring in ? Safety is a must. Another corner ? Maybe not. DE is also a must I think. But, now we will certainly get into a bidding war for any free agents, as we are not the only team that did not address this position. What about a right guard ?
So I see we need at least 2 starters, guard and safety. Plus the resigning of our own FA's - which won't be cheap. Do we resign all 3 of our DE's, or 2 and a FA.What about Sensy ? I said during the draft that I thought this draft was feeling like the 09 debacle, after the fact, I don't feel that way at all. We made good strides I feel, and will eagerly watch to see what else we do. We will be a stronger team for sure, one more good draft should propell us to superbowl contention, by itself this draft does not. But I think we are moving in the right direction, and Dallas is today a better team because of this draft. Just my 2 cents at this time...

Just adding an extension of what you stated...

You stated that Dallas added to a 'future' in this draft. Last year, the team acquired four players in the secondary who were 'rooks' there as well. This group: Church; McCray; Andrew Sandejo; and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah is there in the safety positional depth. There was enough love in the organization to give them developmental time over some veterans from last year's camp. At least, there is a developmental depth base from which to grow from as well.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
OK, then. I largely agree.

Here is where I do not agree: Dalton being picked would have upset people. Don't think so. Not much. anyway, Dalton would have shut the doubters up, eventually.

Boston College, as I remember, sent us Martens several years ago. he was a bust. I had Martens penciled in as a starter and my dreams were that he'd be ready for the HOF in 10 years. Man was I wrong. I don't think being from BC automatically translates into being a great O lineman.

As to the right side or the left side of the O line.
My first priority is to protect the blind side of the QB. So that is a big reason in drafting a quality O lineman. Not the only reason, but a big one.

And let me say that the Cowboys picking Tyron Smith took my breath away.
Because it signaled a very workmanlike approach to the draft. it was not a sexy pick and it was not an iffy pick. This guy will start and will do us proud.
For all of Jerra's blather, I think Smith was a pick of the braintrust (Jason, et. al) and not so much jerra's, though he went along with the need to pick him.

I know you will read and reread thesd gems I offer, so ga'head and soak up the wisdom that is free of charge and at no cost.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;3940006 said:
OK, then. I largely agree.

Here is where I do not agree: Dalton being picked would have upset people. Don't think so. Not much. anyway, Dalton would have shut the doubters up, eventually.

Boston College, as I remember, sent us Martens several years ago. he was a bust. I had Martens penciled in as a starter and my dreams were that he'd be ready for the HOF in 10 years. Man was I wrong. I don't think being from BC automatically translates into being a great O lineman.

As to the right side or the left side of the O line.
My first priority is to protect the blind side of the QB. So that is a big reason in drafting a quality O lineman. Not the only reason, but a big one.

And let me say that the Cowboys picking Tyron Smith took my breath away.
Because it signaled a very workmanlike approach to the draft. it was not a sexy pick and it was not an iffy pick. This guy will start and will do us proud.
For all of Jerra's blather, I think Smith was a pick of the braintrust (Jason, et. al) and not so much jerra's, though he went along with the need to pick him.

I know you will read and reread thesd gems I offer, so ga'head and soak up the wisdom that is free of charge and at no cost.
Here is a little known fact. Some guys work their butts off to get to the NFL and when they get there and find out how hard it is, they fold. It is an intangible that no one knows how to predict.

James Marten failed. So did Jacob Rogers. He went to USC. Only a fool would avoid drafting Tyron Smith because of Jacob Rogers. Only a fool would avoid drafting Anthony Castonzo because of James Marten.

One only has to look at USC History to find names such as Anthony Munoz, Tony Boselli, and Ron Yary. That doesn't even scratch the surface of OTs from USC who have been outstanding. It doesn't even take into account Guards or Centers either.

Mentioning James Marten because Boston College was mentioned only accomplishes one thing. It lets people know that you know where he went to college. How many Boston College O-linemen have prospered in the NFL and who are they?

When you can answer those questions without looking the info up...I will be impressed.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Hostile;3939499 said:
I expect the NFL to file further appeals.

I expect them to adopt the 2010 rules and play 2011 under them and we will go through this whole mess again next off season.

Once it hit the courts I knew we were in a full fledged stall. I never really expected a deal even when it went before a Federal mediator because the head of the NFLPA* is too anxious to win a court battle. We don't need a court battle but that is what he wants and for some reason people support him. I can't, don't, and won't.

The owners may be greedy jerks, but at least they want to negotiate a deal.

I sure hope your right about the season starting soon. I sure don't want our new guys to miss any practice time and we're REALLY going to need Free Agency now.

Thanks for your thoughts Hos. Always interesting and informative and very much appreciated.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nightshade;3940123 said:
I sure hope your right about the season starting soon. I sure don't want our new guys to miss any practice time and we're REALLY going to need Free Agency now.

Thanks for your thoughts Hos. Always interesting and informative and very much appreciated.
I want the 8th Circuit Court of appeals to overturn their temporary stay so the league year can start.

I want to see UDFAs signed.

I want to see coaches and players together.

I want to see players lifting.

I still am not on the players side because they took this to court. I like that the Draft happened before Free Agency. That is the only thing that really has been good about this whole mess.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3939832 said:
Probably not relevant to anyone but me, but on the Cowboys Lunch Break Show the hosts mentioned watching film of David Arkin and being amazed that they saw what Jason Garrett was saying about how he finishes every block.

thanks for the heads up will listen to it tonite

natesboys051

Reaction score
Hostile;3940131 said:
I want the 8th Circuit Court of appeals to overturn their temporary stay so the league year can start.

I want to see UDFAs signed.

I want to see coaches and players together.

I want to see players lifting.

I still am not on the players side because they took this to court. I like that the Draft happened before Free Agency. That is the only thing that really has been good about this whole mess.

Here's what WE need to be talking about in ALL forums regarding the current NFL lockout (to help both sides compromise and quickly settle how to divide up $9billion in revenues):

Issue#1: Owners currently take $1billion from the top of nearly $9billion in revenues and 40% of the $8billion for a total of $4.2billion. They now want $2billion off the top to keep salaries from skyrocketing even further (like they have been every year) which will eventually break the back of the small market franchises. Obviously, the players don't want to give up an additional $1billion off the top.

Issue#2: Owners want to move $300M from the rookies (via a rookie wage scale) to the veterans (i.e. for better vet contracts and/or better long-term health benefits for veteran players).

Issue#3: Owners want players to play 2 additional games and eliminate 2 preseason games (to further increase revenues). In other words, play 18 Live games and only 2 preseason games.

Compromise Solution (without the Courts):

Issue#1 & #2: Let the owners take ONLY an additional $500M off the top (instead of $1billion). The players KEEP $500M plus they get an additional $300M from the rookies (i.e. rookie wage scale) for a total of $800M. The veteran players would really only LOSE $200M on this issue (although the rookies would disagree as well as their filthy-rich AGENTS).

Issue#3: Play only one additional LIVE game and drop one preseason game all together. In other words, play 17 games and only 3 preseason games to help generate additional revenue.

AND, if the players AGREE to play on additional LIVE game, the owners only get an additional $350million off the top instead of compromised $500million. The biggest SAVINGS will come from NOT paying the INSANE rookie contracts (and 'guaranteed money' that their AGENTS have somehow schemed over the past 10yrs and made the average JOE feel disconnected to the average over-priced NFL rookie 1st round player).