CFZ A Trade that could help if the Jones really are going for it

Sandyf

Reaction score
The trade deadline is fast approaching and as fans we all would like to see something happen that improves the chances of a Super Bowl. Dallas is rarely involved in any trade at the deadline that is anything but a backup situation.

We all want our draft picks especially the 1st round but truth is 60 percent of those picks fail in the 1st 3 years of their contract. It is actually higher for the 2nd round picks. The fact is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round out perform their initial contracts and get 2nd contracts. So why not make a splash.

Denver is in a complete rebuild mode and because of the Wilson trade, in desperate need of high picks and young players that Sean Peyton can mode to his liking.

So as a trade, since we could use several spots to compete, consider trading our 1st round in 2024 and 2nd in 2025, Jayron Kearse, Dorrance Armstrong and Jordan Lewis for Patrick Surtain II CB, Josey Jewell ILB, and Javonte Williams RB. Could be a win for both teams.

Pairing Surtain with Diggs long term would be great. Williams gives you a better inside runner especially in red zones areas and both still on rookie deals. Dallas was trying to trade up and get Surtain and couldn't but got Parsons instead which was a great win. Surtain makes the defense backfield much better.

Armstrong is in the final year of his contract as is Lewis and Kearse. Lewis spot would definitely go to Bland and Kearse spot would be manned by Thomas, Bell, and Mukuamu with Thomas probably the main guy. Armstong spot would give Williams more snaps along with getting snaps for Feheko and Wheat. Jewell is on the final year of his contract and provides a great run stopper at ILB while Vander Esch is out.

Sure next couple of years would provide cap concerns with both Surtain and Parsons but all teams that really want to win figure them out even as fans don't care for it. As much as many would like to get rid of Dak, reality is that he probably gets an extension this off season to lower his next year's cap. And the fact that the cap is due to rise to between $249 million to $268 million in 2024, $272 million to $288 million in 2025, $298 million to $308 million in 2026 and to $328 million in 2027 says they will be extending several contracts to take advantage of those numbers i.e Lamb probably before the end of the year then Biadasz OC in the off season if not during the season.

Yes, we still need to improve the OL but they seem to be getting better although we are one injury away from Tyron Smith being out for an extended time. We have done well with the UFA guys and late round picks as Richards seems to be better than advertised at OT and Bass was a steal at OG. Still have hope for Waletzko as a LT but Josh Ball better get better at OG if he wants to stick. Coaching staff seems to believe they have a diamond in the rough with Earl Bostick at the OT spot but we will see. I could see an OC being drafted in round 3 so kids from Texas A&M and Arkansas are guys to watch.

Anyway, it is something I definitely would consider.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We cant afford Surtain. Thats the only thing I'd want, is him. Giving up 2 1's for a rental isn't great. We signed Rashad Evans, a nice LB in his own right. I think we can slide by at LB. We are thin at cb. We lack a decent extra cb. Unless we think Izzy M. can handle it. I think we will stand pat.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The trade deadline is fast approaching and as fans we all would like to see something happen that improves the chances of a Super Bowl. Dallas is rarely involved in any trade at the deadline that is anything but a backup situation.

We all want our draft picks especially the 1st round but truth is 60 percent of those picks fail in the 1st 3 years of their contract. It is actually higher for the 2nd round picks. The fact is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round out perform their initial contracts and get 2nd contracts. So why not make a splash.

Denver is in a complete rebuild mode and because of the Wilson trade, in desperate need of high picks and young players that Sean Peyton can mode to his liking.

So as a trade, since we could use several spots to compete, consider trading our 1st round in 2024 and 2nd in 2025, Jayron Kearse, Dorrance Armstrong and Jordan Lewis for Patrick Surtain II CB, Josey Jewell ILB, and Javonte Williams RB. Could be a win for both teams.

Pairing Surtain with Diggs long term would be great. Williams gives you a better inside runner especially in red zones areas and both still on rookie deals. Dallas was trying to trade up and get Surtain and couldn't but got Parsons instead which was a great win. Surtain makes the defense backfield much better.

Armstrong is in the final year of his contract as is Lewis and Kearse. Lewis spot would definitely go to Bland and Kearse spot would be manned by Thomas, Bell, and Mukuamu with Thomas probably the main guy. Armstong spot would give Williams more snaps along with getting snaps for Feheko and Wheat. Jewell is on the final year of his contract and provides a great run stopper at ILB while Vander Esch is out.

Sure next couple of years would provide cap concerns with both Surtain and Parsons but all teams that really want to win figure them out even as fans don't care for it. As much as many would like to get rid of Dak, reality is that he probably gets an extension this off season to lower his next year's cap. And the fact that the cap is due to rise to between $249 million to $268 million in 2024, $272 million to $288 million in 2025, $298 million to $308 million in 2026 and to $328 million in 2027 says they will be extending several contracts to take advantage of those numbers i.e Lamb probably before the end of the year then Biadasz OC in the off season if not during the season.

Yes, we still need to improve the OL but they seem to be getting better although we are one injury away from Tyron Smith being out for an extended time. We have done well with the UFA guys and late round picks as Richards seems to be better than advertised at OT and Bass was a steal at OG. Still have hope for Waletzko as a LT but Josh Ball better get better at OG if he wants to stick. Coaching staff seems to believe they have a diamond in the rough with Earl Bostick at the OT spot but we will see. I could see an OC being drafted in round 3 so kids from Texas A&M and Arkansas are guys to watch.

Trades that large rarely happen in the NFL.
Nice thought though...

CCBoy

Reaction score

:thumbup: :muttley: Email Stephen!

fivetwos

Reaction score

Not saying what the the team should or should not do, but your bust rate paragraph made me think of some research I did out of curiosity a few years ago.

Using the modest criteria of one Pro Bowl (not All Pro) selection as not being a bust, also removing all guys who made it for special teams…over a ten year period….

Numbers are rounded and approximate, but close…..

Picks 1-16 bust at a 50% rate.
Picks 17-32 are at 75%
Second round is a surprising 90%
Third round: an even more surprising 97%
Thereafter: 99%

Dallas has indeed drafted well vs the rest of the league, and probably why they typically contend. Just need to put it all together, but for me it seems that they have already parted with more 2024 picks than they ought to be comfortable in doing. If anything, last year was the time to deal premium picks in a bad draft overall.

Then again I’ve been critical of them not recognizing ‘windows’ and making a push during that time. They seem to want to keep that window perpetually open instead of doing what’s necessary to get over the top in any given season.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
There is zero chance Surtain is traded imo.

It's illogical for Denver to do it unless you're getting a huge haul from a team you can releasably calculate will be picking in the top 10-15 of the draft for a couple of years.

If Denver gets rid of him they have to replace him, so that's one one wasted pick or FA right there, and you don't find guys his age with his skills who have already proven they can make the leap to the NFL.

If the Eagles trade for him Denver will be idiots unless they demand a Herschel Walker type haul.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Interesting, but Head Coach at Denver isn't naive.
If Denver trades Surtain they are wanting multiple first round picks. And the worse team they send him too, all the better. That hurts the Eagles' odds of getting him too.

conner01

Reaction score
There is zero chance Surtain is traded imo.
I think Denver is in rebuild mode so I could see them trading. But nothing like that trade. Someone is giving multiple first to get him or someone near the top of the draft to get a first and something later. If they can’t get a kings ransom I don’t see them trading. He’s still in a rookie deal next year and they have a 5th year option. No reason to trade unless you get a major haul

rambo2

Reaction score
Of course they are....they try AT ALL COSTS leaving things up to dumb luck others losing....they go all in. Roseman is 10,000x better a GM than Booger!!!
We will see how it plays out.