A way-too-early look at some of the Cowboys free agent class of 2024

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great breakdown in this article about 5 important FA's in a few months. Tyron, time to let him go. Gilmore, sign to team friendly deal. Kearse signed 2 year $10M deal and I would do that again. Pollard, it comes down to dollars. The offense has struggled and as a result so has he. NOT giving him big dollars. Biadasz, do the Cowboys want to replace 2 starters on the OL next year? Resign to a team friendly deal only. Pretty good read on all 5 players in this article.

A way-too-early look at some of the Cowboys free agent class of 2024​

The Cowboys bye week offers a chance to look at all sorts of things, including players on expiring contracts.

By LP Cruz Oct 20, 2023

Following a close call on primetime, the Dallas Cowboys escaped Los Angeles with a win to improve to 4-2. Heading into the bye, the team is just one game behind the best record in the NFC. Considering the disappointment in their two losses of the season, where they are currently in the standings isn’t a bad place to be as they enter their pseudo midpoint. While there are areas to address such as systematic adjustments to the offense including in the red zone, and poor discipline resulting in penalties, the team should feel good about where they are this week versus where they were after their loss against San Francisco.

2023 is a pivotal season for the Dallas Cowboys. Head coach Mike McCarthy has assumed play-calling duties, and it appears the team is using that responsibility to decide whether McCarthy is the right person to lead this team and the offense to meaningful football in the playoffs. Dak Prescott must also battle the stigma of not being equipped to lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. After this season, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones could make sweeping changes to his coaching staff and the roster.

When the new league year begins in March of 2024, the Dallas Cowboys will have 14 free agents to decide on retaining. Some of these players are depth pieces from which the team has a similar player currently on their roster. There are five key players the team will need to seriously evaluate before deciding to either re-sign or release. Here is a way-too-early look at five Cowboys free agents of 2024.

1. Tyron Smith, left tackle
2. Stephon Gilmore, cornerback
3. Jayron Kearse, safety
4. Tony Pollard, running back
5. Tyler Biadasz, center

Read all about them here: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...h-jayron-kearse-stephon-gilmore-tyler-biadasz

usa_today_21665168.0.jpg

McMicah

Reaction score
Honestly, this is why I would trade for Surtain. If you can two 2nds or something, I’d go for that. Then get the best OL 1st round and pick up a Center in the 3rd and you’re golden

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'd resign Gilmore for a cheap deal (this of course assuming he is game for that). I get he is on the downhill side to his career, but he is still a savvy veteran.

The rest? Meh, I'd move on. Pollard, I'm guessing, will be looking for a big payday.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Tyron - Gone/retired
Gilmore - Resigned on a short deal
Kearse - Gone
Pollard - Gone
Biadasz - Resigned on a big deal

Dallas is going to have to have one hell of a draft next year or have several guys from this draft step up (Richards, Overshown).

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ultimately you'd like to see the season unfold.
At this point I'd keep C and RB .
I'm not impressed with the blocking scheme so it's difficult to judge production Pollard is not 100% yet also.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I would move on from all of them.
None of them move the needle for me. Even Gilmore is not worth the money he would command. He no longer is a shut down corner and has lost couple of steps. Can get the same from one of the younger CBs on the roster, Bland or anyone else who steps up. Biadasz is a jag and replaceable as well either through the draft or FA.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Great breakdown in this article about 5 important FA's in a few months. Tyron, time to let him go. Gilmore, sign to team friendly deal. Kearse signed 2 year $10M deal and I would do that again. Pollard, it comes down to dollars. The offense has struggled and as a result so has he. NOT giving him big dollars. Biadasz, do the Cowboys want to replace 2 starters on the OL next year? Resign to a team friendly deal only. Pretty good read on all 5 players in this article.

A way-too-early look at some of the Cowboys free agent class of 2024​

The Cowboys bye week offers a chance to look at all sorts of things, including players on expiring contracts.

By LP Cruz Oct 20, 2023

Following a close call on primetime, the Dallas Cowboys escaped Los Angeles with a win to improve to 4-2. Heading into the bye, the team is just one game behind the best record in the NFC. Considering the disappointment in their two losses of the season, where they are currently in the standings isn’t a bad place to be as they enter their pseudo midpoint. While there are areas to address such as systematic adjustments to the offense including in the red zone, and poor discipline resulting in penalties, the team should feel good about where they are this week versus where they were after their loss against San Francisco.

2023 is a pivotal season for the Dallas Cowboys. Head coach Mike McCarthy has assumed play-calling duties, and it appears the team is using that responsibility to decide whether McCarthy is the right person to lead this team and the offense to meaningful football in the playoffs. Dak Prescott must also battle the stigma of not being equipped to lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. After this season, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones could make sweeping changes to his coaching staff and the roster.

When the new league year begins in March of 2024, the Dallas Cowboys will have 14 free agents to decide on retaining. Some of these players are depth pieces from which the team has a similar player currently on their roster. There are five key players the team will need to seriously evaluate before deciding to either re-sign or release. Here is a way-too-early look at five Cowboys free agents of 2024.

1. Tyron Smith, left tackle
2. Stephon Gilmore, cornerback
3. Jayron Kearse, safety
4. Tony Pollard, running back
5. Tyler Biadasz, center

Read all about them here: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...h-jayron-kearse-stephon-gilmore-tyler-biadasz

usa_today_21665168.0.jpg
Thanks for posting

DuncanIso

Reaction score
None of them move the needle for me. Even Gilmore is not worth the money he would command. He no longer is a shut down corner and has lost couple of steps. Can get the same from one of the younger CBs on the roster, Bland or anyone else who steps up. Biadasz is a jag and replaceable as well either through the draft or FA.
Wrong on Biadasz.

He gets paid.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don't think any of them are back tbh...
Wouldn't be surprised either. I would pay for Biadasz though if he's cheap. Don't want to replace LT and C at same time. Unless their intention is to move Tyler to LT. But even then, that's 2 starters. Not an NFL GM obviously, but I think it would be smart to limit it to one new starter every year because of how long it can takes to get these guys to play together. Coach Mac said it himself in one of his press conferences, it's the hardest unit to get to gel together.

I wouldn't be adverse to a Franchise Tag on Pollard or Biadasz. Pollard only if he gets back some of the speed and can be more consistent as the premier back by end of year. Biadasz because of reasons above and willing to bet it's not that pricey to franchise a RB or C.

JustChip

Reaction score
I would consider Tyron IF he’s slotted as the backup and the $ are right.

No way would I franchise tag Pollard nor sign him to a multi-year deal. They can get another Pollard in the draft.

I would sign or franchise Biadasz to a 2 year deal if the price is right.

Given Diggs injury, I would sign Gilmore for 1 year at the right $.

Thank you Kearse for what you’ve done, but see ya..

Creeper

Reaction score
It is too early. Let's see what they look like after a full season. My rul eof thumb is, never let anyone go unless you have an adequate replacement. This means preparing in advance, but the Cowboys have not been great at that. And as always, it depends on how much money they want.

1. Tyron Smith, left tackle - He is playing better than any lineman the Cowboys have so far. If he stays healthy, it will be tempting to offer him another contract. The question is, is Tyler Smith ready to go back to LT?

2. Stephon Gilmore, cornerback - Based on what I have seen so far, I would move on from Gilmore, which means they need to find another CB. I am also concerned Diggs coming off a knee injury may not be the same player either. Drafting a CB early may be a priority.

3. Jayron Kearse, safety - He looked pretty bad early on but had a much better game against the Chargers. Kearse will be 30 next year, and Marquese Bell has looks really good in a similar role. Jaunyeh Thomas has been impressive too. Kearse has a $6 million CAP number this year. That's not terrible but I would not pay him more than that next year.

4. Tony Pollard, running back - This is a tough one. He looks a step slower this year but he may recover his speed next year. Plus, the poor offensive line blocking has really hurt him so far. In general I think RBs can be found in the draft, but Pollard has something special if you give him room to run. Is he a true #1? Is he enough of a difference maker? He seems like a good teammate. But so was Zeke. I think his price will drive him out of Dallas.

5. Tyler Biadasz, center - So far this year, he looks like the weakest link on the OL. He played better last year so I have no idea what is going on with him. They can certainly get better at this position, but how much are they willing to pay? Is there a possible Travis Frederick in this draft they can pick up where they will be drafting? I think they need a CB more than a C, so my 1st round pick would be CB, if one falls to me. But if there is a C on the board who grades out better than the CBs available, I would take a C. I am curious how much Biadasz will be worth in free agency. Connor McGovern got on average $7.45 million from the Bills and I think they are comparable talents at different positions. I'd have a hard time paying that much to Biadasz so he may have to go.

We have some other issues as well. Lawrence is having a great year but he is not getting any younger. Sam Williams is apparently unhappy about his role. We may need an edge rusher next year.

We are thin at LB. Clark has looked really good in one game with LVE out. But they still need depth at that position.

And of course, even if they re-sign Tyron Smith, they still need to get a LT to replace him one day and if its Tyler Smith then they need an OG to play on the left side.