A way-too-early look at some of the Cowboys free agent class of 2024

RFABR

Reaction score
I don't see more than 1, or 2 max. staying. Next offseason will be an intriguing puzzle cap-wise

exciter

Reaction score
Honestly, this is why I would trade for Surtain. If you can two 2nds or something, I’d go for that. Then get the best OL 1st round and pick up a Center in the 3rd and you’re golden
Lol! 2 2nds? I guess you think the Denver GM is wanting to commit career suicide eh?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don’t think Tyron will be back, and neither will Pollard. Stefan Gilmore could be gone as well.

Verdict

Reaction score
1. Tyron needs to go. We should have moved on three years ago. We will probably extend him and give him the Jason Witten treatment. He should be moved to the bench NOW or traded.

2. Gilmore is looking more and more like a player that was allowed to walk for a reason. I would be looking to upgrade this spot, but would be OK with a CHEAP backup role player salary for him. Pay him like the 4th or 5th corner. Not the starter.

3. Let Pollard walk. He’s not bad but he’s also not worth a huge cap hit.

4. I think Kearse will be a cap casualty.

5. Why would this team pay Biadasz top 5 money? He’s a mediocre center. I would be looking to upgrade his spot.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Honestly, this is why I would trade for Surtain. If you can two 2nds or something, I’d go for that. Then get the best OL 1st round and pick up a Center in the 3rd and you’re golden
You think you're getting Surtain for two 2nds?

plymkr

Reaction score
we should have taken an OG this year in the draft instead of a TE./ shrugs it is what it is.
Yeah, that Schoon pick is looking worse and worse as we go.

We desperately need someone to step up in this draft class.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You do not have Surtain money.
Not even close to it.
If they trade for a big dollar guy this year it is 99% likely to be a rental.
Which is complicated by fact Denver can probably keep him all year then get an R3 comp pick.
So you are competing with that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1. Tyron Smith, left tackle - This is all on Tyron. If he wants to come back and is healthy you let him. But he's not making massive money anymore. You'd love him as a swing OT but HOF guys seldom are willing to do that.

2. Stephon Gilmore, cornerback - All about the money he wants. Gilmore has been a very good locker room guy and CB2. He is likely to be much cheaper than any option that has his impact.

3. Jayron Kearse, safety - Kearse has never made big money and sadly likely never will. If the market bears out 8-10M per for him he will leave but I don't suspect anyone other than DQ can get 7M worth of value out of him.

4. Tony Pollard, running back - This is an easy one to me. He leaves and you draft a RB in the top 3 rounds. TP is a really good player but he is a RB and long term money there is spitting in the wind. Because you set his value via FT at 10M per year he has to go elsewhere now.

5. Tyler Biadasz, center - This is the tough one. TB is mid-level OC when healthy but ascending. He is playing below that level banged up right now. But answers at OC are hard to come by.
Cap space will be hard to come by and they better draft well and hope some of this past class hit in year 2.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1. Tyron Smith, left tackle-not resigned
2. Stephon Gilmore, cornerback-not resigned
3. Jayron Kearse, safety-not resigned, Bell takes his job
4. Tony Pollard, running back-not resigned
5. Tyler Biadasz, center-not resigned, great incoming Center class.

exciter

Reaction score
Seriously, right?
Cowboy fans, lol.
A 23 year old all pro on a rookie deal for a few 2nds?
It’s kinda like no one paid a lick of attention how Payton built his teams in New Orleans. If he thinks he’s in rebuilding mode he’s looking at Surtain as one of his cornerstone defensive players.

Robster8989

Reaction score
1, Tyron Smith- I think it depends on this year. If he plays most of the year there is a possibility he returns. Jerry loves his guys and oftentimes keeps them around too long. Tyron is still a goof LT, when he is available. I honestly wanted Ocyrus Torrence really bad in the draft, thinking he could start on the bench, learn the ropes, then when Tyron inevitably went down, Tyler would move back to LT and Torrence would plug in at LG. I saw Tyler/Torrence on the left side of the line for the next decade, and a return to running the ball more effectively. But what do I know?
The NFL is a young mans game but we may not have a better alternative than to keep Tyron another year.

2. Gilmore- I could see us bringing him back on a reasonable deal. He could be a good 3rd CB assuming Diggs/Bland are the starters outside.

3. Kearse I believe is gone. We have young, cheap players ready to step in, and our starting Safeties are already signed (Hooker/Wilson)

4. Pollard is interesting. We do not use him correctly. He is not an everydown NFL back IMO. He is, however, a very dynamic playmaker. I was hoping we'd draft a workhorse type back last season, there were so many of them available. I felt a big power back platooned with Pollard would be really good. Instead we are using Pollard like Zeke. Sad, really, a waste of his talent. Ideally IMO he is hybrid type. He can run the ball and be used effectively in the passing game. See McCaffrey and Deebo and how their unique talents are utilized. Pollard is a playmaker. A guy who if used right is a walking mismatch. Scheme him the ball in space. He is too much for a LB to handle if in the open field. I saw a little of this in the last game. The long TD and also the just missed TD on the sideline. Hope we see more of this. The first 5 games we seemed content to just hand him the ball between the tackles, which is not his game.
He probably goes elsewhere, because the Cowboys just don't see his value and use him the right way.

5. Biadasz- Again, what is the alternative? We don't have a guy on the roster ready to step in. Signing a FA does'nt make sense, so do you draft a C early? Even if you do, there will be growing pains with a rook. Biadasz is solid, if unspectacular.
I think odds are we keep him. We have other holes to fill in the draft.

I think a lot of what we do is predicated on Dak and If he is resigned
His cap # is enormous next year. Extending him will free up a ton.
I'm sure Jerry will extend him, and we will basically be the same team again next year, with a few minor changes.
Rinse and repeat.

Twin928

Reaction score
Tyron - Gone/retired
Gilmore - Resigned on a short deal
Kearse - Gone
Pollard - Gone
Biadasz - Resigned on a big deal

Dallas is going to have to have one hell of a draft next year or have several guys from this draft step up (Richards, Overshown).
Really kearse gone he is the true vocal leader on This defense n he makes plays bro u tripping and he will be cheap again

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lol! 2 2nds? I guess you think the Denver GM is wanting to commit career suicide eh?
I'm trying to figure out why do people think the Broncos want to give up Surtain? Why is his name always brought up? He's on a rookie deal, cheap and he's one of their best players.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Why would the Broncos trade a top 5 corner who is 23 for 2 second-round picks? I personally wouldn't do it for 2 firsts if I were them, no way they get the equivalent value back with those picks in the mid to late first round.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Really kearse gone he is the true vocal leader on This defense n he makes plays bro u tripping and he will be cheap again
People don't like Kearse right now. He's gonna be staring at them for cheap again.....they've invested in Wilson and Hooker. Might be it for Kearse unless a one year small deal or something along those lines.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why would the Broncos trade a top 5 corner who is 23 for 2 second-round picks? I personally wouldn't do it for 2 firsts if I were them, no way they get the equivalent value back with those picks in the mid to late first round.
I don't get it or understand it. I mean for 2 1sts....they probably should do it but I mean isn't that what Ramsey went for a few years ago when he was considered the best? 2 1sts might not even be enough hell I wouldn't even trade him to a contender. I'd wait until the offseason to trade him if I was that focused on doing it. It makes no sense to do it now or at all.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Not sure I would resign any of those guys except maybe Kearse at the right price.

Paying Biadasz big dollars just because you don't have a current replacement is foolish. He is mediocre at best, draft or sign a free agent to fill the void.