AAF football operations will be suspended

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I can't believe that NFL owners aren't smart enough (and too cheap) to realize the opportunity they have and simply have a true minor league of their own. With real team names, real team logos, real team stadiums, and real NFL prospects.

Instead, we get one half *** failed operation after another from the World League to NFL Europe to the XFL, to this, and then back to another XFL. One big sad cycle.
How exactly is a minor league that accomplishes nothing and costs millions an opportunity?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How exactly is a minor league that accomplishes nothing and costs millions an opportunity?

"Accomplishes nothing"? Where do I begin to correct that fallacy? How about furthering player development for starters? Or giving teams and players more options for scouting and talent acquisition?

"Costs millions"? How about the money it would bring in through television radio, and merchandise, as well as ticket sales to stadiums that otherwise are often unused.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
"Accomplishes nothing"? Where do I begin to correct that fallacy? How about furthering player development for starters? Or giving teams and players more options for scouting and talent acquisition?

"Costs millions"? How about the money it would bring in through television radio, and merchandise, as well as ticket sales to stadiums that otherwise are often unused.
No actual NFL players are going to play another 8-10 games. The only guys who could "develop" are UDFA and roster fodder type players who are easy to find anyways.

They don't need more scouting and talent acquisition.

It's not bringing in any money, otherwise, the AAF and every other league wouldn't keep folding. You're also talking about adding salary and other operating costs. It would absolutely cost millions to run teams, and at the end of the day, you're talking about developing bottom-roster players. It's not worth it. It isn't like baseball or hockey where a first-round pick can develop for two years in the minors.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No actual NFL players are going to play another 8-10 games. The only guys who could "develop" are UDFA and roster fodder type players who are easy to find anyways.

"easy to find", and yet teams still struggle. And guys like Kurt Warner come out of minor leagues and win Super Bowls.

They don't need more scouting and talent acquisition.

Tell that to the greatest coach of all time, Bill Belicheck. He just publicly campaigned for more time to work with players.

It's not bringing in any money, otherwise, the AAF and every other league wouldn't keep folding. You're also talking about adding salary and other operating costs. It would absolutely cost millions to run teams, and at the end of the day, you're talking about developing bottom-roster players. It's not worth it. It isn't like baseball or hockey where a first-round pick can develop for two years in the minors.

No, you're talking about "bottom of the roster players". I'm talking about an opportunity to scout, coach, and further develop young and veteran player alike. Just like other sports are smart enough to do.

So in your mind, if it's not "first round", it's "bottom of the roster", there's narrow-minded thinking on full display. That's for illustrating that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
suspended is code word for shutting down for good. Katy bar the door. We will see tons of these players vying for roster spots on an NFL team this offseason as well as the XFL. Its all over guys. I'm somewhat shocked it couldn't last at least 1 full season. I liked some of the teams like Birmingham and San Antonio. I thought they had a solid product. Its a shame.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
That's not good.

I was going to the game Sunday, guess I'll catch up on Game of Thrones instead.

RamziD

Reaction score
I was hearing on sports radio today that the goal is to see if the NFL will buy them to be their developmental league. Can’t make it as a stand-alone. The football is not that exciting to the average fan...bad QB play predominates.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I was hearing on sports radio today that the goal is to see if the NFL will buy them to be their developmental league. Can’t make it as a stand-alone. The football is not that exciting to the average fan...bad QB play predominates.
I was assuming it already was like a defacto B league for the NFL. That's a good idea actually. BETTER than NFL Europe.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Sucks but not surprised. I expect the XFL to fold in 1-2 years after their launch as well.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Yikes this is awful news.

Seems like most of the issues were at the top. Poorly planned, and half-assly executed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
"easy to find", and yet teams still struggle. And guys like Kurt Warner come out of minor leagues and win Super Bowls.

Tell that to the greatest coach of all time, Bill Belicheck. He just publicly campaigned for more time to work with players.

No, you're talking about "bottom of the roster players". I'm talking about an opportunity to scout, coach, and further develop young and veteran player alike. Just like other sports are smart enough to do.

So in your mind, if it's not "first round", it's "bottom of the roster", there's narrow-minded thinking on full display. That's for illustrating that.
What AAF player would make an NFL roster? The Rams knew who Kurt Warner was and he was bagging groceries. There's not a player on Earth who NFL scouts aren't aware of.....and they found Kurt Warner without a minor league...so what's your point?

He's referring to practice time with guys who actually belong in the NFL.

Young and veteran doesn't matter. The players in the AAF suck, they won't make NFL rosters. If they do, they're bottom guys who aren't worth developing, because they're replaceable.

No, that's not what I said. But you're dumb if you think a team is going to have a 4th rounder go play 8-10 exhibition games in the offseason and risk injury. You can't develop players in the NFL with extra games outside of the season. No league is stupid enough to risk injury to talent like that. The guys who teams would be comfortable devleoping like that are UDFA types, who cost nothing. But when you have a minor league like that, they become real expensive. It's not worth it for a bottom roster player.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sucks but not surprised. I expect the XFL to fold in 1-2 years after their launch as well.
I don't know the talent was pretty equal which made for decent game. Well that's my opinion. But it took me a couple of games to get into it

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea.. it lacked some explosiveness on offense but otherwise solid football.
The talent was equal which made it for a pretty good game. Took a few games to get into it though. Bored again LOL