About Romo... My Little Thoughts

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
[rant]I can remember a few years back when I was just as hot about getting Romo on the field as I am about staunchly defending one other Cowboy player that remains unnamed (at least for now). Romo showed so much potential in that pre-season where he clearly had eclipsed the statuesque Bledsoe in terms of performance and should have started the season at the top of the depth chart. Like many of you, I had to endure three and a half long weeks of the immovable statue before being blessed with the future for the Dallas Cowboys.

I still feel today that Romo is the future and believe he will some day "get it". One thing I noticed about him is his focus on football. In my opinion, his focus has blurred a bit since getting involved with Jessica Simpson. Add to that a huge contract and you have a good recipe for lack of focus. He really has to get back to what made him the player that captured our hearts. His ability to make a play and rally the offense has to return. I don't ever remember him focusing on one receiver as much as he has lately sometimes focusing solely on his star WR while also sometimes zoning in on his ol reliable TE often to the detriment of a drive.

I refuse to believe guys like Crayton, RW11, and Bennett aren't getting open. Tony was always great at spreading the ball around and that kept everyone happy. He has got to get back to that free wheeling wide open level of play. When he is in that zone it often seems there's someone open on every single play and he finds that guy 99.9% of the time.

Some will point to Garrett while others will point to.. Well.. You know.. :rolleyes:

In my humbled opinion this is on Romo. It's time to live up to the hype, contract, and the appointed post he has been provided by front office. He is playing the flagship position for the flagship franchise in the league. It's time to get back to focusing strictly on that and that only. [/rant]

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I have no idea where people get the "Romo is unfocused" BS. Where have you ever heard that he's unfocused from people who would actually know that? All those in the know say he works as hard or harder than anyone else on the team.

And as I said in another thread, if all he was doing was forcing passes into double coverage and sucking at reading defenses, he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he's putting up.

This entire last few days since the Steeler game has been so freaking ridiculous that it makes my head hurt.

Wood

Reaction score
In my humbled opinion this is on Romo. It's time to live up to the hype, contract, and the appointed post he has been provided by front office. He is playing the flagship position for the flagship franchise in the league. It's time to get back to focusing strictly on that and that only. [/rant][/QUOTE]

go eat another cheeseburger bro...that your good at.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Hostile;2483414 said:
I stopped reading at Jessica Simpson being mentioned.

:D I figured you and most others would. It's my own humbled opinion and very much like a grain of salt. Something happened. He was on a track and the train derailed somewhere.

Don't get me wrong. He is a highly talented QB that every other team in the league would probably jump to have on their payroll but he hasn't proven anything yet. He has to stem the tide of growing belief that he can't do anything good from December on.

superpunk

Reaction score
tl;dr

T.O.'s defenders will point the finger at our core Cowboys, the real Cowboys. Anyone but T.O.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2483417 said:
Romos the only guy on the team dating.:D
He's the only guy I've ever heard of who dating ruins. Apparently people think these guys are celibate monks who eat, sleep, drink, and live football 24/7. That's why I stopped reading. Nothing worthwhile would have been written after that. Totally discounts anything previously written.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483437 said:
:D I figured you and most others would. It's my own humbled opinion and very much like a grain of salt. Something happened. He was on a track and the train derailed somewhere.

Don't get me wrong. He is a highly talented QB that every other team in the league would probably jump to have on their payroll but he hasn't proven anything yet. He has to stem the tide of growing belief that he can't do anything good from December on.

Maybe Jessica is sending him pictures of her in her Mrs Clause out fit.
That would break any ones concentration.:p:

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Romo has a few problems that hopefully he can adjust...

1. defenses have caught up with him
2. DCs are overmatching Jason
3. our running game is marginal overall with no homerun threat
4. undisciplined team & too many penalties on O

the above are out of his control. these he can come to terms with...

5. big contract to live up to
6. injured hand
7. makes too many poor decisions on a repeat basis
8. forces ball to TO for whatever reason
9. deal mentally with being a celebrity QB

kbman

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483412 said:
[rant]I can remember a few years back when I was just as hot about getting Romo on the field as I am about staunchly defending one other Cowboy player that remains unnamed (at least for now). Romo showed so much potential in that pre-season where he clearly had eclipsed the statuesque Bledsoe in terms of performance and should have started the season at the top of the depth chart. Like many of you, I had to endure three and a half long weeks of the immovable statue before being blessed with the future for the Dallas Cowboys.

I still feel today that Romo is the future and believe he will some day "get it". One thing I noticed about him is his focus on football. In my opinion, his focus has blurred a bit since getting involved with Jessica Simpson. Add to that a huge contract and you have a good recipe for lack of focus. He really has to get back to what made him the player that captured our hearts. His ability to make a play and rally the offense has to return. I don't ever remember him focusing on one receiver as much as he has lately sometimes focusing solely on his star WR while also sometimes zoning in on his ol reliable TE often to the detriment of a drive.

I refuse to believe guys like Crayton, RW11, and Bennett aren't getting open. Tony was always great at spreading the ball around and that kept everyone happy. He has got to get back to that free wheeling wide open level of play. When he is in that zone it often seems there's someone open on every single play and he finds that guy 99.9% of the time.

Some will point to Garrett while others will point to.. Well.. You know.. :rolleyes:

In my humbled opinion this is on Romo. It's time to live up to the hype, contract, and the appointed post he has been provided by front office. He is playing the flagship position for the flagship franchise in the league. It's time to get back to focusing strictly on that and that only. [/rant]

Great Post, I agree

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superpunk;2483442 said:
tl;dr

T.O.'s defenders will point the finger at our core Cowboys, the real Cowboys. Anyone but T.O.

Romo's apologists will continue to close their eyes and refuse to see his shortcoming.

Oh wait. There's only one guy on the team with shortcomings...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
chinch;2483446 said:
Romo has a few problems that hopefully he can adjust...

1. defenses have caught up with him
2. DCs are overmatching Jason
3. our running game is marginal overall with no homerun threat
4. undisciplined team & too many penalties on O

the above are out of his control. these he can come to terms with...

5. big contract to live up to
6. injured hand
7. makes too many poor decisions on a repeat basis
8. forces ball to TO for whatever reason
9. deal mentally with being a celebrity QB

:hammer:

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its all up to him to do better. He has to make better reads and better decisions.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483465 said:
Romo's apologists will continue to close their eyes and refuse to see his shortcoming.

Glad to see you finally get it.;)

superpunk

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483465 said:

Anyone who likes Tony knows he has shortcomings. Tony knows, and he owns up to them all the time, then talks about what he's going to do to get better. He doesn't push the blame off on his receivers for running the wrong routes or giving up on routes leading to interceptions. He doesn't rail against his teammates for not knowing what to do against Pittsburgh, causing him to have to spend extra time in the huddle telling everyone what to do. I can bet that as long as we have Tony here he will never toss any of his teammates under the bus, and we won't even have nasty reporters like Ed Werder "inventing" stories and quotes about Romo.

So even with all his flaws, in any controversy about Romo or Owens, I know which way I'm going, every time. I'm going with the player who makes the entire team better, with results that show up on the field. After all, we trotted T.O. out there with Bledsoe and Johnson and Bollinger, and what happened?

Romo is what makes this team go. Sure he has room for improvement, all players do. But it's asinine to believe that he is a detriment or that anything he does holds this team back. But the Owens defenders will spin it that way - because their golden boy needs the ball more, and after all, he can't throw it and catch it, as he is so fond of saying.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
superpunk;2483492 said:
Anyone who likes Tony knows he has shortcomings. Tony knows, and he owns up to them all the time, then talks about what he's going to do to get better. He doesn't push the blame off on his receivers for running the wrong routes or giving up on routes leading to interceptions. He doesn't rail against his teammates for not knowing what to do against Pittsburgh, causing him to have to spend extra time in the huddle telling everyone what to do. I can bet that as long as we have Tony here he will never toss any of his teammates under the bus, and we won't even have nasty reporters like Ed Werder "inventing" stories and quotes about Romo.

So even with all his flaws, in any controversy about Romo or Owens, I know which way I'm going, every time. I'm going with the player who makes the entire team better, with results that show up on the field. After all, we trotted T.O. out there with Bledsoe and Johnson and Bollinger, and what happened?

Romo is what makes this team go. Sure he has room for improvement, all players do. But it's asinine to believe that he is a detriment or that anything he does holds this team back. But the Owens defenders will spin it that way - because their golden boy needs the ball more, and after all, he can't throw it and catch it, as he is so fond of saying.

Good stuff right there. There is no question that Romo is the one that makes this offense go. If he's not there, this thing ain't goin nowhere.

And just to make sure I'm getting this straight from the other side of this thread, you're saying Romo, the guy who was leading the NFL in passer rating and had a roughly 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio going into the Steeler game is now "derailed"?

If he sucks from now on, then he'll be "derailed". He had a bad game. He had a string of really good games up til then. My guess is that he'll be back to really really good next week.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superpunk;2483492 said:

Fair enough. Good post. As I stated, I think he has the ability to take it to the next level but the window of opportunity only stays open for so long. I would like to see him get in a guy's #$# when he runs the wrong route or gives up on a play. He needs to step it up. The aw shuck routine will only get him so far.

Ozzu;2483507 said:
And just to make sure I'm getting this straight from the other side of this thread, you're saying Romo, the guy who was leading the NFL in passer rating and had a roughly 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio going into the Steeler game is now "derailed"?

If he sucks from now on, then he'll be "derailed". He had a bad game. He had a string of really good games up til then. My guess is that he'll be back to really really good next week.

Let me set you completely straight. Until he proves that he can win in December and step it up to match or exceed the level of our opponents in the playoffs he is not on the right track. Take that as you wish.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483563 said:
Fair enough. Good post. As I stated, I think he has the ability to take it to the next level but the window of opportunity only stays open for so long. I would like to see him get in a guy's #$# when he runs the wrong route or gives up on a play. He needs to step it up. The aw shuck routine will only get him so far.

Let me set you completely straight. Until he proves that he can win in December and step it up to match or exceed the level of our opponents in the playoffs he is not on the right track. Take that as you wish.

I agree with this. But the team as a whole needs to do this.