About Romo... My Little Thoughts

superpunk

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483563 said:
Fair enough. Good post. As I stated, I think he has the ability to take it to the next level but the window of opportunity only stays open for so long. I would like to see him get in a guy's #$# when he runs the wrong route or gives up on a play. He needs to step it up. The aw shuck routine will only get him so far.
The whole team needs to step up.

What they don't need is finger pointing and passing the buck.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2483582 said:
I agree with this. But the team as a whole needs to do this.

Then you might agree that as Tony Romo goes the team goes. Possibly?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483587 said:
Then you might agree that as Tony Romo goes the team goes. Possibly?

Yeah, to a point. There are only certain things he can control.
Every player needs to do all they can all the time.

You can be the best Goalie in the NHL, if you face fifty shots you will lose.
The team in front of you has to do their jobs.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2483563 said:
Fair enough. Good post. As I stated, I think he has the ability to take it to the next level but the window of opportunity only stays open for so long. I would like to see him get in a guy's #$# when he runs the wrong route or gives up on a play. He needs to step it up. The aw shuck routine will only get him so far.

Let me set you completely straight. Until he proves that he can win in December and step it up to match or exceed the level of our opponents in the playoffs he is not on the right track. Take that as you wish.
Romo has taken on the personality of Wade/Jerry. Aw shucks, we'll get them next time, "eight years", etc. Smooth talking excuse maker. Maybe when you take Jerry's $50+ million you feel the need to do that but it is hurting him and the team. It makes him a non-leader.

Romo also needs to consider he'll be a flash-in-the-pan celebrity QB if he never gets to the big dance. He might never have a better chance than now. I don't see the urgency in this Team, haven't since jimmy's last year actually.

Unfortunately Romo DOES make this team go at this point.

Next year if we have a triple-threat RUNNING game (not run to setup the long pass i mean real ball control RUNNING game and dual TE play) we can jettison problems like TO and reel in Romo and win games when it counts DEC & JAN.

I wager heavily jerry won't consider or allow that.

Skin

Reaction score
superpunk;2483586 said:
The whole team needs to step up.

What they don't need is finger pointing and passing the buck.

The truth. I don't care whether Romo is playing poorly or not, as a teammate you keep your mouth shut, particularly, after a loss in an important playoff drive. That is the definition of being a good teammate. The same things that are being said about Romo, were said about Peyton Manning when he was a few years into his career.

TO is an incredible athlete who has put up some monster numbers in his career and done some great things for the team, but he is an idiot. I support him because he plays for the Cowboys, but he will always be an insecure, child. I recognize the same behavior in my five year old.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
So even with all his flaws, in any controversy about Romo or Owens, I know which way I'm going, every time. I'm going with the player who makes the entire team better, with results that show up on the field. After all, we trotted T.O. out there with Bledsoe and Johnson and Bollinger, and what happened?

The offense also went nowhere when TO was out last year.

He is the reason for many of the big plays, not just the ones he makes. When Barber catches a dump off and runs for twenty yards, someone had to drive those db's out of his zone.

Romo's elusiveness has also contributed to a lot of big plays, but he hasn't done a very good job of reading defenses. He's better at buying time and waiting for the defense to break down. When he drops back and makes a quick read and pass, those are often his worst throws.

Deefens

Reaction score
It's unbelievable how week-to-week the NFL is... last week we all marvelled at Romo's incredible ability to avoid the rush and make plays and spread the ball around. Now after a bad game with a lot of things going against him (#1 D, the weather, the finger, Cory Proctor)... all this crap. He did a poor job THIS GAME at one of his strengths witch is finding the open man and looking downfield-not locking in to his first read, even considering the difficultly level against the Pittsburg D pressure and coverage. I think Romo has shown me enough to make me believe he will continue to work hard, improve, and make the proper adjustments to have a better game against the midgets... and if he does, the Romo talk will take another 180. BTW, with the D quietly growing strong through this rollercoaster season... I'm pretty optimistic the outlook WILL change soon.

djmajestik

Reaction score
Wood;2483428 said:
In my humbled opinion this is on Romo. It's time to live up to the hype, contract, and the appointed post he has been provided by front office. He is playing the flagship position for the flagship franchise in the league. It's time to get back to focusing strictly on that and that only. [/rant]

go eat another cheeseburger bro...that your good at.[/QUOTE]

Huh?? Rebuttal is fine when it makes sense. This though doesn't. Although I don't share his views on Romo, what does injecting thoughts about his lunch have anything to do with the post.

DID I MISS SOMETHING???

djmajestik

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2483445 said:
Maybe Jessica is sending him pictures of her in her Mrs Clause out fit.
That would break any ones concentration.:p:

Huh? Concentration on what? Who we talking about again?

:cool:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
jord1242;2483712 said:
go eat another cheeseburger bro...that your good at.

Huh?? Rebuttal is fine when it makes sense. This though doesn't. Although I don't share his views on Romo, what does injecting thoughts about his lunch have anything to do with the post.

DID I MISS SOMETHING???

LOL Yeah. Some responses I purposely don't entertain. My cheeseburger would crush his cheeseburger but he doesn't know me and we're on the internet so that doesn't really matter. ;)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2484298 said:
LOL Yeah. Some responses I purposely don't entertain. My cheeseburger would crush his cheeseburger but he doesn't know me and we're on the internet so that doesn't really matter. ;)

I like cheeseburgers. :D

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Source says defensive players support Owens
ESPN.com news services
Dec 12, 2008

The rift between Dallas Cowboys stars Terrell Owens, Tony Romo and Jason Witten is wider than just those three players, a source inside the team's locker room told ESPN's Ed Werder on Friday.

The source told Werder that the majority of defensive players on the team support Owens' contention that Romo is overly reliant on Jason Witten and often throws into coverage trying to get him the ball while ignoring Owens in situation where he could make a play. One starting player told Werder that "We are not together as a team, and that includes the coaches."

Dallas defensive back Terence Newman told ESPN's First Take on Friday that reports of a rift are blown out of proportion. Newman said that Owens hadn't said a bad word to anyone, and that, as a defensive player, he'd like Owens to get the ball more.

Newman said that offensive coordinator Jason Garrett has an open-door policy and both Romo and Witten, along with wide receiver Patrick Crayton, had been in to talk to their coach.

He also said that team chemistry is "great," but insinuated that when Cowboys' coaches make a mistake, they shift the blame to others and the players have noticed it.

In his weekly readio spot on 1310 "The Ticket" in Dallas, Jones said a meeting took place between Roy Williams, Crayton, Owens and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. He said it was nothing out of the ordinary.

"[Owens is] interested in the ball to win the game," Jones said. "He knows if he can get the ball, we have a better chance to win the game. We all agree with that."

Jones said that he visited with Owens for 10 or 15 minutes during practice on Thursday, but said the subject of the meeting with Garrett did not come up. "Not that he [Owens] feels slighted or he feels like there's some type of favoritism going on," Jones said.

Jones also said that Garrett encourages "continual communication."

Phillips said that reports that the team is in turmoil are untrue. "I don't agree," he said.

"Enough talking. We need to get it done," Phillips said.

The comments come a day after a source who speaks regularly with Owens' teammates told ESPN that Owens thinks Romo and Witten -- close friends and road roommates who came to Dallas in the same offseason -- hold private meetings and create plays without including Owens.

Owens believes these discussions have worked to his detriment and Romo seeks to deliver the ball to Witten regardless of whether Owens is open.

"I don't know anything about that," Phillips said when asked about a possible rift at his news conference on Thursday.

"We've thrown for a lot of yards with a lot of players. One receiver is pretty close to 1,000 yards. ... There's no favoritism there, we are going to the guy that is going to be open."

Owens declined to discuss the situation on Thursday outside the Cowboys' locker room. As he walked toward the players' lounge at Valley Ranch, ESPN asked Owens if he would answer questions and he said, "Nope.''

But later Thursday, Owens told The Dallas Morning News: "I'm not jealous of Witten. I'm not jealous of nobody. I can take the approach that I got paid, so screw everything, but that's not me.

"I just want to win. I'm not trying to create a war of words with anybody. I thought we had a productive meeting, and I just talked to Jason about Tony reading the whole play because other people are open besides Witten."

Witten appeared Thursday afternoon on ESPNRadio 1050 in New York.

"Tony and I have been friends for a long time, way before either one of us were playing that much," Witten said. "I don't think we're drawing up many plays together to be completely honest, but I don't think Terrell feels that way. I think he knows he's a play-maker, and we try to go to him, and we have other guys we try to get the ball, too."

Information from ESPN's Ed Werder and ESPN.com's Matt Mosley is included in this report

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?w=17wmz&e=ATR&storyId=3764732

Discuss.

zeromaster

Reaction score
There's something to be said for the days when a star player had a body of work established on the field before being concerned with body work off of it. :D

The landscape has changed, and not necessarily for the better. I get the feeling sometimes there are some fans that want it both ways.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
kbman;2483459 said:
Great Post, I agree

I know I am not the sole person with this line of thought. Thanks.

Romo needs to dig deep.

*NEWS FLASH* It's December!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
zeromaster;2484429 said:
There's something to be said for the days when a star player had a body of work established on the field before being concerned with body work off of it. :D

The landscape has changed, and not necessarily for the better. I get the feeling sometimes there are some fans that want it both ways.

I've had my cake and ate it before. It was rather good. ;)

noletime95

Reaction score
Let's break this season down, shall we?

The entire team got whipped against Washington......Arizona put pressure on Romo all day and eventually knocked him out for three games. I believe Romo played a good portion of that game hurt. That's three losses w/ Romo hurt or out.

Which brings us to loss number 5. Put it on Romo. Fine. Bad weather, D played great and the best D in the NFL got the best of him. Stuff happens.

Now there are all these big issues? Really? He's 3-1 since returning. Dallas is infinately better with him. He just played like crap vs Pitt.

One question.....If you were starting a team and had to pick a QB for the next 8 or so years at $10 Mil/year, tell me your top 3 in order. Mine:

-Romo
-Cutler
-Ryan (might be first pretty soon, but too unproven).

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Jeff Garcia
Donovan McNabb
Tony Romo

What's the common denominator?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
noletime95;2485603 said:
One question.....If you were starting a team and had to pick a QB for the next 8 or so years at $10 Mil/year, tell me your top 3 in order. Mine:

-Romo
-Cutler
-Ryan (might be first pretty soon, but too unproven).

I'm assuming age is a factor...

Brees
Cutler
Ryan or Flacco (I like them both)

Plug Brees into this offense and you have the makings of a weekly 500yd passing game.

noletime95

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2485619 said:
I'm assuming age is a factor...

Brees
Cutler
Ryan or Flacco (I like them both)

Plug Brees into this offense and you have the makings of a weekly 500yd passing game.

I don't think Brees is that good for that long....but he is VERY good right now. Probably a bit better than Romo.........for now.

Flacco? Serious? He's a bus driver.

So does Romo make your top 5?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
noletime95;2485625 said:
I don't think Brees is that good for that long....but he is VERY good right now. Probably a bit better than Romo.........for now.

Flacco? Serious? He's a bus driver.

So does Romo make your top 5?

Romo definitely makes the top 5 but you asked for 3 and I gave you 3.5 ;)