Abstract idea: If we win the Super Bowl - we should trade Dak

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Now this is an abstract idea that has been bouncing around in my head every time I think about the team over the past few weeks; what if Dak, a rookie QB, smashes the rookie curse, wins the Super Bowl leading a team that many pundits considered irrelevant following Romo's injury, was put on the trading block?

Teams trade the farm for unknown quantities just because general sentiment is that they make good prospects. Dak is not a prospect, he'd be a proven commodity equivalent to the most pristine diamond in this scenario. Andrew Luck on steroids as a prospect.

We could feasibly structure a deal getting 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders, 3 third rounders. Likely structured non-linearly (like 1 2018 first rounder, 1 2020 first rounder, 1 2022 first rounder) to balance out the trade. Would you take a deal like this? I honestly would consider it. Without question, it could potentially be one of the boldest management decisions in sports history - regardless of how it ultimately plays outs, and to me is an interesting possibility (although not probable by any means).

Reaction score
Now this is an abstract idea that has been bouncing around in my head every time I think about the team over the past few weeks; what if Dak, a rookie QB, smashes the rookie curse, wins the Super Bowl leading a team that many pundits considered irrelevant following Romo's injury, was put on the trading block?

Teams trade the farm for unknown quantities just because general sentiment is that they make good prospects. Dak is not a prospect, he'd be a proven commodity equivalent to the most pristine diamond in this scenario. Andrew Luck on steroids as a prospect.

We could feasibly structure a deal getting 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders, 3 third rounders. Likely structured non-linearly (like 1 2018 first rounder, 1 2020 first rounder, 1 2022 first rounder) to balance out the trade. Would you take a deal like this? I honestly would consider it. Without question, it could potentially be one of the boldest management decisions in sports history - regardless of how it ultimately plays outs, and to me is an interesting possibility (although not probable by any means).

Throw in Zeke and we could probably get some owner to trade his whole franchise,,, then we'd have two teams and twice the likelihood of winning the SuperBowl every year! Of course we'd have to find another ginger genius head coach, and those are kinda rare.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
No team would offer that. No matter how drunk their GM may be.
Times have changed, but there have been crazy trades in the past. Carson Palmer, a 31 year old QB who had accomplished pretty much nothing besides being consistently solid, fetched 2 first round picks. That was recent.

Never forget the Herschel Walker trade is what built the cultural icon and empire this team has become. Maybe the stars are aligned again.

I know and fully expect this thread will just get me trolled, but hope at least some people open their minds to the possibility. Recency bias, which is natural, dictates this is ridiculous. Taking a much longer view and thinking about the NFL from a forward than backward non-linear perspective actually offers many, many, deals that are similar.

And keep in mind, structure is everything..

1 2018 first rounder
1 2019 second rounder, 1 third rounder
1 2020 first rounder, 1 third rounder
1 2021 second rounder
1 2022 first founder

It'd be risky, but from a time value of money (investment perspective) it is entirely just a question of timing. I mean, if we were talking 2030 draft picks 25 teams would probably make the deal.

Rob-G

Reaction score
@ threadstarter...

running-gags-emgn-3.gif

slomoxn

Reaction score
Throw in Zeke and we could probably get some owner to trade his whole franchise,,, then we'd have two teams and twice the likelihood of winning the SuperBowl every year! Of course we'd have to find another ginger genius head coach, and those are kinda rare.
You slayed the dragon bro! Killed it

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I mean, that makes sense if you're a Jerry Jones fan. Not if you're a Dallas Cowboys fan. But I like the ownership mind frame.

Also keep in mind why these players are paid so much - it is simple economics, if there were 150 teams they wouldn't make nearly as much - which isn't the inelastic attribute, because more importantly to ownership is the fact that the teams wouldn't be worth as much if the league were that big.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
No.

No team owner would allow their GM to make that deal. I'm not sure the NFL would allow it.
I wish Al Davis were alive because if so I would use him as an argument, and think we could find some middle ground but there are still a few emotional owners that want to win now (or who, likely rightfully believe) we are at the peak of the NFL - unless it expands globally at a rapid pace, because domestic interest in sports is diversifying quickly. Time to cash in.

Maybe I went a bit far... 3 first rounders spread over 5 years, 2 second rounders spread over 5 years, 3 fourth rounders spread over 5 years.... sounds very reasonable to me. What they receive is a proven franchise QB heading into his second year.... what we receive is the ability to build a dynasty for the ages.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then the Cowboys would have to trade away many of those picks to move up and draft a QB. Just because they got one in the 4th doesn't mean it will happen again.

Nobody knows if Romo can take a hit.

The Cowboys could be on the verge of an early Nineties type of run of dominance and you want to trade away the QB.

This really might be the worst thread ever.

haleyrules

Reaction score

Well this should be a popular idea!!

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Then the Cowboys would have to trade away many of those picks to move up and draft a QB. Just because they got one in the 4th doesn't mean it will happen again.

Nobody knows if Romo can take a hit.

The Cowboys could be on the verge of an early Nineties type of run of dominance and you want to trade away the QB.

This really might be the worst thread ever.
It is volatile.

It either pays off huge, or we look like idiots.

It is a risk I'm willing to take. I have faith in this team.