Accents in the USA

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Skullmiester, May 11, 2019.

1. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam Unfriendly and Aloof!

45,119 Messages
    19,609 Likes Received
    Hella yeah.

2. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

4,463 Messages
    7,528 Likes Received
    Fugget about it.

Melonfeud and BigStar like this.
  3. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

9,422 Messages
    14,803 Likes Received

I've been rewatching old episodes of Top Gear and they talk about and make fun of the different regions and accents in the UK quite a bit. They make fun of the Northerners as uncultured and talk funny, Essex is like the trailer park of England, Birmingham people are kinda dumb and they talk funny too, the Welsh are all sheep farmers or singers or both.

I always get a kick out of different English slang, sayings and weird words.

Crazed Liotta Eyes likes this.
  4. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

8,672 Messages
    8,025 Likes Received
    Same with DC but a West VA drawl bc my mom was from there. I can usually tell a DC accent and usually can pick up on that lighter "talk almost soft" Southern WV accent. I feel the OP, some British accents I can understand, others it's every 5th word (movie Snatch comes to mind).

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  5. Crazed Liotta Eyes

Crazed Liotta Eyes Well-Known Member

898 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    When I moved to California from Texas, everyone made fun of my accent. It didn't help when we had a company outing and I dominated at horseshoes. People were legit upset that it wasn't fair because of where I was from. I had probably played that 3 or 4 times in my life. LOL.

6. Crazed Liotta Eyes

898 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    I've worked with a lot of guys from England over the years. Back in the early 90s, there was one who was listening to us talking about being "bummed out" about something. He reacted with astonishment. Being "bummed" means something entirely different over there. I work with two of them now. One of them is "posh" and the other is from the lower class. They hate each other and talk totally different.

Melonfeud, Roadtrip635 and BigStar like this.
  7. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

8,672 Messages
    8,025 Likes Received
    East coast take on the phrase hella:D
    [​IMG]

8. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

3,190 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I'm from a rural area from the NE not far from the Canadian border. I get told all the time that I have an accent by them that's not from around here.

A few years ago I was in rural NC. Stopped at a place to get a coffee before we headed out to drive the moving van back up here, helping a buddy move his family. I ordered my coffee and the young women said something to me. I had to ask her to repeat it, and then again. I had no idea what she was saying. My buddy is cracking up as he tells me "she wants to know if you want a biscuit with that". He understood her perfectly. She might as well have been speaking Latin as far as I was concerned.

Then there was that time in a bar in rural Kentucky with two buddies from Mass, one from Ontario and the locals. Dialects galore.

BigStar, Corso and Crazed Liotta Eyes like this.
  9. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

20,754 Messages
    35,209 Likes Received
    I found it funny, in retrospect, that I was born and raised in this tiny town in south Texas, but my mother was born and raised in Long Island so I talked like her.
    None of the locals could figure it, if they hadn't ever talked to my mother before.
    This kid, we know who was born here, talks like a damn Yankee!

Lol...

I would still get remarks by people, when I would have to do a promo, or be somewhere remote and I'd tell them I'm from Texas and they would invariable say- "You don't talk like a Texan."

Nowadays Texas isn't that stereotypical country drawl, for many parts.
    The state has become pretty homogeneous and the accents show it.
    Unless you're somewhere like Sisterdale, or Dimebox... then anything goes!

10. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

25,098 Messages
    8,661 Likes Received
    Yes, lad, but nuanced.
    You see, inquisitive midfielder, accents here are nuanced from state to state but starkly different region to region.
    1. New Yawkers don't pronounce their "R's" and are abrupt in personality and language.
    2. Californians are upbeat, mellow and are into short sentences. They are crisp in speaking.
    3. Coloradoans have a crisp Midwestern accent and will explain things forever.
    4. Texans are Jackel and Hyde. Some can sound urbane, like modern South. Others sound Piney Woods scary. West Texans are vastly from say, the Valley, and Dallas is a bland Missouri accent. Texans can be smiley, shallow conversationalists with good hearts. Others with suspicion. "Nope." "I guess." "Yeah." "Whut kin ah do fer ya?"
    5. Upper Midwest is north Illinois with accented (inflection) E's.
    Like we're so perfect, oaf.
    Glory to Shetlands and the Kingdom of Fife!!
    Fancy some Scottish shortbread with tea? Hollah

11. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

25,098 Messages
    8,661 Likes Received
    The less you say to the gringos the better, no, Jéfe?
    How you know he is not a fifth column? Yes?

12. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

6,960 Messages
    12,475 Likes Received
    I wear that title with pride Brother

CouchCoach likes this.
  13. Crazed Liotta Eyes

898 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    New Yawkers are funny. I'm sitting here listening to my 69-year-old mother in law and lmao. She's from Brooklyn and it's like another planet for me. I don't really see a California accent. They are just rude.

14. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

9,422 Messages
    14,803 Likes Received

Is that Old Dime Box or the newer Dime Box?

Corso likes this.
  15. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

16,887 Messages
    11,669 Likes Received
    :D

16. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

20,754 Messages
    35,209 Likes Received
    Would you say I had a plethora of pinatas?

17. Skullmiester

Skullmiester Active Member

70 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Thanks for your entertaining and informative reply, I'm learning more and more with each post.

Melonfeud likes this.
  18. Melonfeud

Melonfeud I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe. Zone Supporter

20,515 Messages
    31,546 Likes Received
    Hilarious:lmao:

Roadtrip635 and timb2 like this.
  19. Melonfeud

Melonfeud I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe. Zone Supporter

20,515 Messages
    31,546 Likes Received
    Ha, when I was over in England & trying to score some action with the ladies, they'd all say
    " your pissed,talk to me tomorrow ",,,:huh:,,,I'd be like " Oh no baby! I could never be mad at you"
    :lmao:

*over there pissed means drunk,,, er,,,and the English gals are pretty easy:thumbup:

20. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

6,462 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    There are different accents in this country just like words mean different things in this country. I have lived in Boston, Upstate NY, and presently N California. People always say to me your not from around here are you because they can tell from my accent and some words that I use to describe things. I use the word sneakers and out here they call them tennies. Also I had to get use “you all” even though there was only me around. At first I thought I took a wrong turn and went down South. Also down south means the person is driving down to southern CA not the southern part of the US and apparently the break down lane is not another lane to get off the freeway when the exit is close as it is in Boston. I found that is a big no no.

Roadtrip635 likes this.