Accents in the USA

Big_D

Reaction score
Born and raised in northern NJ and it's not like watching a mob movie or the Sopranos everywhere you go. Even though I live in the same town as the Bada Bing lol but not everyone says fuhgetaboutit or New Yawk or Joisey. That last one, no one says that.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
There are different accents in this country just like words mean different things in this country. I have lived in Boston, Upstate NY, and presently N California. People always say to me your not from around here are you because they can tell from my accent and some words that I use to describe things. I use the word sneakers and out here they call them tennies. Also I had to get use “you all” even though there was only me around. At first I thought I took a wrong turn and went down South. Also down south means the person is driving down to southern CA not the southern part of the US and apparently the break down lane is not another lane to get off the freeway when the exit is close as it is in Boston. I found that is a big no no.

Yep, different words for the same thing. Depending where you are a soft drink is a soda or pop or like here in central Texas a lot call them all Coke. Just the other a day a friend asked what kind of "coke" i wanted, I told him a Big Red.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Yep, different words for the same thing. Depending where you are a soft drink is a soda or pop or like here in central Texas a lot call them all Coke. Just the other a day a friend asked what kind of "coke" i wanted, I told him a Big Red.
Pronounced KOHck.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Born and raised in northern NJ and it's not like watching a mob movie or the Sopranos everywhere you go. Even though I live in the same town as the Bada Bing lol but not everyone says fuhgetaboutit or New Yawk or Joisey. That last one, no one says that.
Vee still do not vant your kindz.