According to Greg Olsen, Tyler Smith's present and future is at G per the Cowboys

Motorola

Reaction score
Olsen claimed during the game that the Cowboys told him that Tyler Smith was just so good at G that's he's staying there permanently.

I'm not sure how reliable that is but he said it.
20% of the CZers will agree with his statement (if true)
40% of the CZers will disagree with his disclosure (if true)
The other 40% will emphatically declare Olsen is flat out lying about what the Cowboys said to him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Olsen claimed during the game that the Cowboys told him that Tyler Smith was just so good at G that's he's staying there permanently.

I thought that was interesting. May mean a player like Asim Richards will be given a shot at replacing Tyron when the time comes or maybe we'll have OT high on our draft list since we seem to draft them to play guard as well.

RS12

Reaction score
Lets be thankful he is here playing at a high level at any O Line position. Quality O Linemen are as hard to find as QBs and I'd bet if there were a 2022 redraft he would go much higher than 24th over all.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I thought he played pretty well at tackle his rookie year. Good LTs are hard to come by and unless the Cowboys find a good Tyron replacement at that spot I don't know why Tyler wouldn't play there.

Reaction score
As good as he is at guard, tackle is the more important position. If the team can't find a very good tackle to replace Tyron, you have to move him outside and find an adequate guard. LT is a much bigger hole than LG

Techsass

Reaction score
I agree....he has the built of a guard, plus he'll make less money as a guard as opposed to a left tackle
Not saying I want him to make less money, but if he's that much better as a guard that's where he should play.
Until they find Tyron's succesor, I think he'll spend some of his time at tackle.

quickccc

Reaction score

Depends upon management, ,..Tyron Smith's future ..and our current OL coach. imo

HungryLion

Reaction score
Personally, I think he can be a great LT too.

Who knows what the future brings. If they find another quality guard in the draft I doubt they hesitate to move Tyler back to LT

SackMaster

Reaction score
The only reason I would be disappointed with Tyler at Guard is if you went with the likes of Edoga or 40+ year old Peters as your #1 option at LT.

But if you either draft a guy or someone like Asim Richards can step up in the LT spot, cool.

I've said it multiple times, Tyler can be an All-Pro at any position on the OLine. Just make sure you are putting quality line-mates around him.
:thumbup:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Who knows what the future brings. If they find another quality guard in the draft I doubt they hesitate to move Tyler back to LT
Smith started at LT last year after spending his offseason prepping for LG. The kids a pro's pro. I think wherever he plays may depend on how the offseason. If he is staying at LT, then you need to know you are gonna have your LT. Wheather they are high on Richards or plan on drafting

I think if you kick him out to LT, Bass could he a quality starter. He looked solid subbing when Tyler was hurt. Richards could even be in play there. I dont know that we need to draft an LG if we move Tyler

gimmesix

Reaction score

I think we'll see him back at LT after Tyron retires because it's much easier to find starting-caliber guards. However, if a player like Richards shows the ability at tackle, I do think Tyler could be the next in a line of All-Pro guards for us.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Smith started at LT last year after spending his offseason prepping for LG. The kids a pro's pro. I think wherever he plays may depend on how the offseason. If he is staying at LT, then you need to know you are gonna have your LT. Wheather they are high on Richards or plan on drafting

I think if you kick him out to LT, Bass could he a quality starter. He looked solid subbing when Tyler was hurt. Richards could even be in play there. I dont know that we need to draft an LG if we move Tyler
Bass is an interesting one as well.