According to Greg Olsen, Tyler Smith's present and future is at G per the Cowboys

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think we'll see him back at LT after Tyron retires because it's much easier to find starting-caliber guards. However, if a player like Richards shows the ability at tackle, I do think Tyler could be the next in a line of All-Pro guards for us.
If they can get one more season out of Tyron, they can use the 1st pick on a RB.

If he retires or goes UFA, we gotta draft an LT.

Btw, Tyron will make huge $$$$ if he goes UFA.

There is no doubt he can play at a top level.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Olsen claimed during the game that the Cowboys told him that Tyler Smith was just so good at G that's he's staying there permanently.

I'm not sure how reliable that is but he said it.
At this point, he's arguably the best OG in the game, or at least in the conversation. Might as well leave him there and allow him to be dominant there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richards is the future LT anyways.

Tyler is an All-pro at guard, he brings a nasty attitude that is needed going up against DTs
If Richards is our future LT, that’s not a good thing. If Tyron is retiring , LT is the top priority the next draft.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they can get one more season out of Tyron, they can use the 1st pick on a RB.

If he retires or goes UFA, we gotta draft an LT.

Btw, Tyron will make huge $$$$ if he goes UFA.

There is no doubt he can play at a top level.
Are you insane? If the NFL has taught us anything , it is that you don’t need to take a rb in round 1.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
As good as he is at guard, tackle is the more important position. If the team can't find a very good tackle to replace Tyron, you have to move him outside and find an adequate guard. LT is a much bigger hole than LG
I bet if you were to ask most (if not ALL) QB’s in the NFL, they would say to a man that pressure from the middle is more worrisome than pressure from the outside. You can always have people help the tackles by having TE’s or RB’s “chip” the DE’s, but G usually don’t get that luxury.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Olsen claimed during the game that the Cowboys told him that Tyler Smith was just so good at G that's he's staying there permanently.

Greg knows what he's talking about. His brain is so big it's coming out of his forehead. sheesh, noobs.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I thought he played pretty well at tackle his rookie year. Good LTs are hard to come by and unless the Cowboys find a good Tyron replacement at that spot I don't know why Tyler wouldn't play there.
Because an all-pro Guard is harder to find than an good LT.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Well if you can find a great tackle that's more important than finding a great guard. I'd rather have the edges of our line secured than pro bowlers on the inside if I had to choose. They still have to draft more o lines though, completing our forces in the trenches for the next 5 to 7 years should be a top priority.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
100% he is only going to be a LG , the FO is very stubborn on these position values. He might have to be in at LT due to injuries cascading, like Martin did at RT for a couple of games. Next years draft there is one and only one thing I want to see drafted- tackles, offensive tackles. RB,LB, whatever else be forsaken.

conner01

Reaction score
Richards is the future LT anyways.

Tyler is an All-pro at guard, he brings a nasty attitude that is needed going up against DTs
I’ve always thought Tyler could be a great guard or a good tackle. Where he plays once Tyron is gone has a lot to do with our ability to develop a tackle or a guard. I think bass has the potential to be a solid guard too. But we need to develop a tackle

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Why is it a good thing ? Have you seen something in Richards? Left tackle is a position you address at the top of the draft not in round 5. Of the 8 pro bowl tackles last year, 7 were first round picks. The other one was a second round pick.
So that means you can't find a reliable OT in any round outside of the first....

I was told here that the pro bowl is just a popularity contest. First round picks bring more hype and most folks have heard of them, which is easier for them to be noticed.

I don't care what round a player is drafted. It doesn't matter once they play. HOF players have been found all over the draft, including undrafted players.

Yes, I have seen promise in Richards. He has the talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I thought this was reported awhile ago? Or maybe I heard Sham say it. They see him as a future guard for this team. They'll change their mind when Tyron retires though.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I’ve always thought Tyler could be a great guard or a good tackle. Where he plays once Tyron is gone has a lot to do with our ability to develop a tackle or a guard. I think bass has the potential to be a solid guard too. But we need to develop a tackle
Wasn't Bass playing center yesterday in the 4th quarter?

Tyler looks like an all-pro at guard. He was solid at LT last year but to be LG looks like it's his best spot...... I'm no expert though

Richards is that developing LT

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So that means you can't find a reliable OT in any round outside of the first....

I was told here that the pro bowl is just a popularity contest. First round picks bring more hype and most folks have heard of them, which is easier for them to be noticed.

I don't care what round a player is drafted. It doesn't matter once they play. HOF players have been found all over the draft, including undrafted players.

Yes, I have seen promise in Richards. He has the talent.
The pro bowl has changed. The way pro bowlers are elected has changed. It is now quite an honor. The fact is that T is one of the more accurately scouted positions. You don’t find guys like Tyron or Trent Williams after round one. Left tackle is the most import spot on the OL bc that’s your QBs blind side and that’s why it’s the highest paid position on the OL. Going cheap there gets your QB killed.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Makes sense. The Cowboys have to replace both Tyron Smith and Zack Martin.

conner01

Reaction score
Wasn't Bass playing center yesterday in the 4th quarter?

Tyler looks like an all-pro at guard. He was solid at LT last year but to be LG looks like it's his best spot...... I'm no expert though

Richards is that developing LT
I haven’t watched the game yet but that would be really smart trying bass at center since Biadasz is a FA next year and may not get extended. I like what little we’ve seen of Richard’s so if he is a future starter or even a swing guy that’s a big win

Mr_437

Reaction score
I can believe it, the team hasn't budged ob moving Tyler to LT even with the injuries to Tyron.