According to Greg Olsen, Tyler Smith's present and future is at G per the Cowboys

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think we'll see him back at LT after Tyron retires because it's much easier to find starting-caliber guards. However, if a player like Richards shows the ability at tackle, I do think Tyler could be the next in a line of All-Pro guards for us.
Yeah. I agree. Tyler gives you options. Which is a good thing to have.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
If they leave him at guard I’m actually okay brining Tyron back on another 1 year incentive based contract. Gives Asim a whole offseason of reps plus playing whenever Tyron sits. By 2025 he should be good to go. That said, I’m not passing up a tackle if a good one falls in round 1

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fine. Our top needs going into 2024 are going to be linebacker , tackle, rb……. We need an upgrade over Steele which is about the best we can do drafting late in round 1.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The pro bowl has changed. The way pro bowlers are elected has changed. It is now quite an honor. The fact is that T is one of the more accurately scouted positions. You don’t find guys like Tyron or Trent Williams after round one. Left tackle is the most import spot on the OL bc that’s your QBs blind side and that’s why it’s the highest paid position on the OL. Going cheap there gets your QB killed.
I'm not disagreeing with how important the position is or more success rate finding great quality in the first round over other rounds....... That still doesn't mean that you can't find a solid, quality guy in rounds other than the first.

I think Richards is a guy that can develop into a really solid guy there. Does that mean don't draft a high rated tackle if he is on the board? No, you take best available and find places to make it work.

Tyler, in my broken opinion, could be an all-pro guard.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not disagreeing with how important the position is or more success rate finding great quality in the first round over other rounds....... That still doesn't mean that you can't find a solid, quality guy in rounds other than the first.

I think Richards is a guy that can develop into a really solid guy there. Does that mean don't draft a high rated tackle if he is on the board? No, you take best available and find places to make it work.

Tyler, in my broken opinion, could be an all-pro guard.
Well, that’s what I’m basically saying. Sure , Richards could develop but we don’t know it and the odds of finding a quality starting left tackle past round 2 are not great. So, in the absence of any evidence that Richards has a future in this league , the team needs to address the position in round 1.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Olsen claimed during the game that the Cowboys told him that Tyler Smith was just so good at G that's he's staying there permanently.

I'm not sure how reliable that is but he said it.
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!