Adam Schefter says 'it would be a surprise' if the Cowboys passed on Jonathon Brooks at pick 56

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Cowboys need to pick a RB in this upcoming draft and an NFL insider has a name
By Tony Catalina Apr 22, 2024

ESPN’s NFL insider Adam Schefter released “NFL draft week intel” on Monday morning, following what he said was from days of phone calls. Among all of the notes Schefter had spread throughout the league, one note in particular should be of interest to Cowboys Nation.

In his article, Schefter speaks about the Cowboys and their worst-kept secret interest in Texas Longhorns’ RB Jonathon Brooks

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...m-passed-jonathon-brooks-pick-56-running-back

1670870833.0.jpg

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
It feels like most scouts consider Brooks and Trey Benson to be the RB1a and RB1b in this class.

After them, there is a drop off. There’s a few talented guys, but Brooks and Benson are the guys in this class that can immediately change a backfield.

If Dallas passes on them in the second round, there could be a run on RBs before their third round selection.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Cowboys need to pick a RB in this upcoming draft and an NFL insider has a name

ESPN’s NFL insider Adam Schefter released “NFL draft week intel” on Monday morning, following what he said was from days of phone calls. Among all of the notes Schefter had spread throughout the league, one note in particular should be of interest to Cowboys Nation.

In his article, Schefter speaks about the Cowboys and their worst-kept secret interest in Texas Longhorns’ RB Jonathon Brooks

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...m-passed-jonathon-brooks-pick-56-running-back

1670870833.0.jpg
I like Brooks. But I’m a little surprised more hasn’t been said about his knee injury which happened the second week of November last year. He tore his ACL and while I’m confident he will recover I find it hard to believe he’s even 90% by training camp.

The Cowboys need a RB who’s ready on Day one. Recovering from an ACL tear usually takes at least nine months. As of now, his rehab has been 5 months. Makes me a little hesitant on Brooks.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

1670870833.0.jpg
Well if he is coming off of a major injury or a head case , Jerry will jump all over him in the Second Round.
The above is our second round criteria.
:facepalm:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Lol another 2nd round pick coming off major injury, what else is new?
I call this the scratch and dent draft strategy. The Cowboys have done this on many occasions. It's like going to the furniture store and heading to the very back of the store where they put the furniture that has scratches and dents. This furniture was at one time the good stuff at the front of the store, but now has been relegated to the back room at a deep discount. Once you get it home, you try and buff out the scratches and fill in the dents, but in the end, all you have is flawed furniture.

rambo2

Reaction score
Oh good I'm Glad we are letting the whole world know in case someone wants to draft him before us or trade up
It's old news. There will be other good players available if they don't get Brooks.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I call this the scratch and dent draft strategy. The Cowboys have done this on many occasions. It's like going to the furniture store and heading to the very back of the store where they put the furniture that has scratches and dents. This furniture was at one time the good stuff at the front of the store, but now has been relegated to the back room at a deep discount. Once you get it home, you try and buff out the scratches and fill in the dents, but in the end, all you have is flawed furniture.
The track record on that hasn't been very good, has it?

Shoot, let's look at all the Cowboys' 2nd round scratch-and-dent specials this side of Sean Lee.

Bruce Carter
Randy Gregory
Jaylon Smith
Sam Williams
Kelvin Joseph

Are there any of those guys we ended up happy about?

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
SO much smoke around this pick. Either he is completely off their radar and this is just the front office thrown people off....or our front office consist of a quickly aging man who's likely drinking majority of the time and a idiot son who just plans to live off what daddy built for him and they are letting everyone know weeks in advance what their plan is. - kinda leaning towards the latter

Someone will likely trade up in front of them to secure Brooks before Dallas.

slick325

Reaction score
This front office does such a great job of camouflaging their draft intentions. The subterfuge is CIA level.

Plus, they are so adept at ensuring that they don't go into a draft with glaring needs. Their use of free agency is 2nd to none.