Adam Vinatieri FA - how much would you pay?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
First - imagine what our record would be if he was a cowboy this year - hmmph!

Second - how much would you pay to get him in a starred helmet?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Kickers are not football players, and should not be paid as such

However, someone will likely pay him BIG money

DLCassidy

Reaction score
It doesn't work that way. NE used the franchise tag on him this year. They'll probably do it again which means he's going exactly nowhere.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
If he'd take it, maybe 1.5 million a season, his kickoffs would be a plus also. I believe we would be 9-2 with a decent kicker, we haven't had one since Boniol!.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I would rather fix the other problems on the team. If you can get an offense that can score more touchdowns, you don't need to rely on the kicker. Ifyou can get a defense to give up fewer points, then you don't need to rely on the kicker.

I am sure Dallas will try to find a better kicker, but I don't see them throwing a lot of money at the position.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I would rather fix the other problems on the team. If you can get an offense that can score more touchdowns, you don't need to rely on the kicker. Ifyou can get a defense to give up fewer points, then you don't need to rely on the kicker.

I am sure Dallas will try to find a better kicker, but I don't see them throwing a lot of money at the position.
Sure it'd be nice to get an offense that doesn't need to kick field goals. But the fact is, with the conservative play-calling, we're going to get in these situations. A clutch kicker is a necessity for this team.

Reaction score
joseephuss said:

As long as Parcells continues to go with a strong defense, run the ball, control the playclock, win it in the end strategy, you need a top PK.

Parcells is not a open-it-up, blow-em-out type coach. We won't see an Indy type offense anytime soon.

The defense is fine.

KingTuna

Reaction score
YoMick said:
First - imagine what our record would be if he was a cowboy this year - hmmph!

Second - how much would you pay to get him in a starred helmet?

Whatever it takes to get him in a Cowboys uniform...That's how much!!!

Bill Parcells brought him into the league as an NFL Europe kicker in 1996. He beat out Parcells all time favorite kicker Matt Bahr and has started ever since.

Let's go full circle on the 10 year anniversary next year....

BRING IN ADAM!!!!!

Hiero

Reaction score
theogt said:
Sure it'd be nice to get an offense that doesn't need to kick field goals. But the fact is, with the conservative play-calling, we're going to get in these situations. A clutch kicker is a necessity for this team.
yep exactly, the way we play neccesitates a clutch kicker. just like the patriots we like to keep it close, but instead of having vinateiri like Belichik, Parcells has scrubs and it makes a huge difference. id love to have him hear and I think we can afford it.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Kickers are not football players, and should not be paid as such

However, someone will likely pay him BIG money

Yeah possibly the Giants. ;)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
joseephuss said:

A good kicker buys time to fix other problems and adds a few more wins instead of losses...

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I would say a top-flight kicker would be worth a lot (even though, as HeavyHitta stated, thay aren't "football players"). My reasoning?

Right now, after 11 games, Neil Rackers is the top kicker in the league, having kicked 32/33 FG's and scored 110 points. I'll compare that to an "average " kicker, Josh Scobee, who is ranked #16 in the league (about the middle of 32 teams). He has kicked 16/21 FG's and scored 73 points.

If you extrapolate the statistics for both kickers out to a full 16 games, Rackers would end up with 160 points on the season vs. the average kicker (Scobee) who would have 106 points on the season. That is a difference of 54 points. That's equal to a skilled player scoring 9 more TD's for you. What would a RB or WR who scores 14 TD's per season command in salary vs. one who scores 5 TD's per season?

I am aware that one also must account for opportunity, etc., but that is one way to compare. To me, a top kicker is worth big $$not only for the points they are going to score for you, but also because their points often mean a "W" at the end of a game. We know that, the Giants know that...

As for Veneiterri, he's 14/18 with 67 points and ranked #23 on the year.

Just my two cents.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RXP said:
As long as Parcells continues to go with a strong defense, run the ball, control the playclock, win it in the end strategy, you need a top PK.

Parcells is not a open-it-up, blow-em-out type coach. We won't see an Indy type offense anytime soon.

The defense is fine.

I wasn't talking about getting an Indy type offense. Just one that can be more consistent and score more points. You can have a conservative game plan and still do that. An offense that averages more than 4 yards a carry, controls the clock and dosen't kill itself with missed assignments and inopportune penalties.

david_jackson

Reaction score
If you can get a player that equals 1-2 more wins a year that is well worht a 2 mil contract (or high draft pick) Just Win!

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I wasn't talking about getting an Indy type offense. Just one that can be more consistent and score more points. You can have a conservative game plan and still do that. An offense that averages more than 4 yards a carry, controls the clock and dosen't kill itself with missed assignments and inopportune penalties.
I used Indy as an example to prove a point.

We can't run 4 yards a carry because our OL isn't good enough right now. We have been good controling the clock though. Unfortunately, missed assignments and penalties are part of the game. Every team does it in every game.

But again, a control-the-clock strategy needs a top notch kicker.