Adam Vinatieri FA - how much would you pay?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
LandryFan said:
I would say a top-flight kicker would be worth a lot (even though, as HeavyHitta stated, thay aren't "football players"). My reasoning?

Right now, after 11 games, Neil Rackers is the top kicker in the league, having kicked 32/33 FG's and scored 110 points. I'll compare that to an "average " kicker, Josh Scobee, who is ranked #16 in the league (about the middle of 32 teams). He has kicked 16/21 FG's and scored 73 points.

If you extrapolate the statistics for both kickers out to a full 16 games, Rackers would end up with 160 points on the season vs. the average kicker (Scobee) who would have 106 points on the season. That is a difference of 54 points. That's equal to a skilled player scoring 9 more TD's for you. What would a RB or WR who scores 14 TD's per season command in salary vs. one who scores 5 TD's per season?

I am aware that one also must account for opportunity, etc., but that is one way to compare. To me, a top kicker is worth big $$not only for the points they are going to score for you, but also because their points often mean a "W" at the end of a game. We know that, the Giants know that...

As for Veneiterri, he's 14/18 with 67 points and ranked #23 on the year.

Just my two cents.

POST OF THE DAY.

If Vinatieri became available, I would gladly make him the highest paid kicker in the league.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Vandergagt or Vinie- either one is worth big bucks. 2 million a year for an extra 2-3 wins is CHEAP. If we had a top kicker NOW we would be 9-2 at least; maybe 10-1.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
If Vinatieri became available, I would gladly make him the highest paid kicker in the league.

CR, I would take him in a heartbeat, too. He is Mr. Clutch!

CoCo

Reaction score
Do I think we need to have the highest paid kicker, or even top 5, on our roster to fulfill our team potential? No.

What are we willing to give up to pay the top kicker? Anything? Or do we simply want the best at each position and let someone figure out how to make that happen under the cap?

I'm not dead set against Cundiff at this point. I also think there is some middle ground in this that would work just fine. But again who we get will be dictated to a large degree by who is available. I have little interest in getting into a bidding war over Vinatieri or spending a draftpick on a kicker for that matter as that strategy is often a crapshoot.

Would I rather invest in our OL or LB? Absolutely!

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...may turn into a fine kicker at some point in his career. He just needs to put together some solid seasons and work a little harder at the physical part of his craft.

He has problems getting consistent contact with the ball and that seems to be his downfall.

BTW, has anyone noticed what Akers and Elam look like physically in the games we played against them. When I saw Elam the first thing I said was "roids". Akers has a very similar look. They both seem excessively thick in the thighs, I took a look at Elam in an old Broncos orange uni and he definitely wasn't sporting that physicality.

billyrags

Reaction score
Vinatieri is so much a part of their Super Bowl run that I don't think that Pats would let him go.

The better option may be Mike Vanderjagt. Not only has he burned alot of bridges with Manning and Dungy, but they have to sign Edge and Reggie Wayne. No way they resign him with that offense.