Adding a draft pick in 2019

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Just for the sake of trading or what
You are against getting a top 35 player this year????

Do you understand the Draft only comes once a year???

Why not get the player a year early......do you covet Draft picks so much you would rather have the future abtract player or the current DL or FS making this team better ....not next year's team

DId you see what ACooper added to the team last year????

Open your mind just a little bit..... it isn't so scary out here

DanA

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of trading future picks. It seems like you pay credit card type interest rates unless it's for a player some team wants rid of.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not in favor of trading future picks. It seems like you pay credit card type interest rates unless it's for a player some team wants rid of.

Teams sometimes have an over supply of draft picks in a given year and want to "save" a pick for the next season by trading.

The general rule that the present value pick is worth 1 round higher than the 1 year delayed pick.

The Raiders have the 2nd pick in round 3. If they would trade that for future 2nd round pick, then the interest is not very high unless the Cowboys have a losing season and end up with an early 2nd round pick.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You trade up for players and trade down for picks, so it's impossible to say if a trade up is worth it or not without knowing who we're getting.

If it takes next year's first to jump into this year's first, I'd consider doing it for the right guy. In general, there is a "time value to draft picks" where a pick now is worth about a round more than a pick next year. So dealing next year's first to get a 2019 first, in a vacuum, is a good move. In a loaded defensive class too, it may be worth our while too if we can grab a D lineman at like #15 who would be going top 5 almost any other year.

I don't think a 2020 first and #58 this year alone would make a ton of noise though. Probably wouldn't get us into the top 20 where the real ballers are at, and getting to that range would cost us more draft capital than I want to spend on one player.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
You were trading a 1st, 2nd & a 3rd for what sounded like just crawling back into the 1st round.

...so it became a good idea once you saw Dane Brugler had a similar one?

It's odd to me that an idea is only as good as the fame of the guy who had it.

Dane also said he didn't think Dallas would make such a trade, so is it a bad idea again? Lol

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say

Techsass

Reaction score
...so it became a good idea once you saw Dane Brugler had a similar one?

It's odd to me that an idea is only as good as the fame of the guy who had it.

Dane also said he didn't think Dallas would make such a trade, so is it a bad idea again? Lol

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say
No. I totally spaced out the Dane Brugler bit.
It looked like you were just trying to get back into the 1st round. I caught up with you on the last line, when you clarified you were talking about the top of the 1st round.

Not sure where we're going with this back & forth. I wasn't trying to put you down.

Flamma

Reaction score
ver since Dane Brugler mentioned a similar idea I have been beating the drum for trading next years 1st (no big deal, just delaying the Cooper trade), jourdan Lewis (no big deal, barely sees the field by coach decision), and this years 2nd (no big deal, quite likely a DT anyway) to move up and get Oliver.

This year's 2nd, next years 1st and Lewis to trade somewhere in the top 10 to get Oliver? Sure, why not? Problem is I don't see any bites. The trade will probably amount to a late 2nd, late 1st, and Lewis for top ten pick. I think they'll want more.

I doubt we will trade into the first, but if we did, we'd be giving up much less trading to late first round. Probably still get a damn good player too as deep as the draft is at DL.

Flamma

Reaction score
I would rather trade our 2020 1st for #35 with OAK
You are against getting a top 35 player this year????

Do you understand the Draft only comes once a year???

Why not get the player a year early......do you covet Draft picks so much you would rather have the future abtract player or the current DL or FS making this team better ....not next year's team

DId you see what ACooper added to the team last year????

Open your mind just a little bit..... it isn't so scary out here

It's an excellent idea for us. I say that because (anything can happen) I'm expecting our 2020 1st round pick to be a late one. I wouldn't expect Oakland to do that for the reasons you've mentioned and mine.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
No. I totally spaced out the Dane Brugler bit.
It looked like you were just trying to get back into the 1st round. I caught up with you on the last line, when you clarified you were talking about the top of the 1st round.

Not sure where we're going with this back & forth. I wasn't trying to put you down.

Yeah I think a miscommunication occurred, my bad. Let's abandon this confusing line of discussion haha