Adding Three Top 10 Picks

Kaiser

Reaction score
The crown jewels of NFL rosters are draft picks from the top ten. Look at the current roster with the impact that Zeke and Tyron Smith have. Or Fred and Martin, who would be top ten picks if the draft were held over. Sean Lee could have been a top ten pick but for a major injury.

We have three major breakout stories for the Cowboys this year – and all three are top ten pick type of talents. Jaylon Smith would have been a top ten pick but for the injury (maybe first overall). Randy Gregory would have been a top ten pick if weed was scarce in Nebraska. Tayvon Austin was a top ten pick that clearly has that level of physical talent.

Jerry loves to gamble and all three of Jaylon, Gregory and Austin took time to heal/develop/clean up. But at this point in camp it looks like a huge win that we added three top ten picks to the team.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Jaylon and Gregory. On the one hand, I want them to live up to their potential and propel this team to playoff glory. On the other hand, I would hate their success to validate the free-wheelin' ways of a GM whose penchant for risk-taking has not been conducive to sustained long-term success. Life with JJ.

Jipper

Reaction score
Top ten pick vs top ten talent.....point is that with the later comes risks and issues but with the former comes being a crappy team.....

Want more players that are lower picks that play to a level that were they redrafted they would be considered a top 10 talent.

Prime21

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Jaylon and Gregory. On the one hand, I want them to live up to their potential and propel this team to playoff glory. On the other hand, I would hate their success to validate the free-wheelin' ways of a GM whose penchant for risk-taking has not been conducive to sustained long-term success. Life with JJ.

If Jaylon and Gregory both hit then we are doing great and should keep adding top 10 talent in the 2nd round.

Also, the past two 2nd rounds have been very safe and solid picks.

Hard to complain about the drafting of this team right now.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Time will be the ultimate judge but it is exciting contemplating of the possibilities surrounding Smith, Gregory and Austin this season.

LOL I'd be surprised if Austin turns out to be more than a rich man's Lucky Whitehead. Ezekiel Elliott, Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith would be a more likely trio of top 5 talent to bolster this team past most expectations.

Kaiser

Reaction score
On the other hand, I would hate their success to validate the free-wheelin' ways of a GM whose penchant for risk-taking has not been conducive to sustained long-term success. Life with JJ.

Do you apologize to your wife if you win too much money in Vegas? I know your point but if gambles work out, its a good thing. If you look at our drafts of the last five years, the picks have been very safe, solid picks with Gregory and Jaylon the only real gambles. But we also had guys like Dak, Jourdan Lewis, Xavier Woods, Anthony Brown (and maybe Dorance Armstrong) that were steals at the round they were taken.

If you go back six and seven years you get Gavin Escobar and Morris Claiborne, but the last five years have been rock solid with two gambles - and my point in the OP is that both those gambles are looking good at this point of training camp.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL I'd be surprised if Austin turns out to be more than a rich man's Lucky Whitehead. Ezekiel Elliott, Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith would be a more likely trio of top 5 talent to bolster this team past most expectations.
Understandable but Elliott is a known asset. Gregory and Smith are still relative unknowns given their respective backgrounds. So if we automatically eliminate hitting the jackpot with Austin, using 'trio' to describe any success stories involving the names in question does not relate well. It would be more appropriate suggesting "...Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith would be a more likely duo of top 5 talent..." Of course, your take on what might happen this season may materialize but I am sticking with the OP's trio of 2018 hopefuls for the time being.

bpfred

Reaction score
I also have a lot of skepticism with Austin.

I think the original poster's premise is a common one on this forum. It's also one i don't buy into, at least fully. The draft represents opionions on one day. If you could fast forward a month into training camp after teams have worked with the players for a while, and re-do the draft entirely over, you would have a very different set of opinions. Fast forward after a year in the league, you get another different set of opinions.

Austin was drafted high in the first round, Terrance Williams drafted high in the 3rd round of the same draft. Williams has outperformed Austin pretty substantially since they've been in the league.

There are all kinds of top ten picks that wind up being disappointments. If you don't believe me, ask the Browns. Or any other team.

We could waive Prescott, Rush, and White and pickup Mike Vick, Vince Young, and Jamarcus Russell. They were all the 1st picks in the drafts--imagine what talent we would have. I'm being cynical, because nobody in their right mind would do this, but I view Tavon Austin as a less extreme example of that same kind of thinking.

I know a lot of people have faith that Sanjay Lal can revive Austin's career. He did, after all, have success with TY Hilton, another really fast receiver. But he didn't with Phillip Dorsett, a similarly gifted and sized 1st round receiver. That effort was a huge disappointment in Indianapolis. Dorsett is now trying to establish his career in New England, much like Austin is here.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The crown jewels of NFL rosters are draft picks from the top ten. Look at the current roster with the impact that Zeke and Tyron Smith have. Or Fred and Martin, who would be top ten picks if the draft were held over. Sean Lee could have been a top ten pick but for a major injury.

We have three major breakout stories for the Cowboys this year – and all three are top ten pick type of talents. Jaylon Smith would have been a top ten pick but for the injury (maybe first overall). Randy Gregory would have been a top ten pick if weed was scarce in Nebraska. Tayvon Austin was a top ten pick that clearly has that level of physical talent.

Jerry loves to gamble and all three of Jaylon, Gregory and Austin took time to heal/develop/clean up. But at this point in camp it looks like a huge win that we added three top ten picks to the team.

I like the direction and focus of the build process, and this team has made monumental strides in talent additions recently,, this is a really much improved team.
Still have my doubts this team can hang in a high scoring shootout scenario,, and that will cook your chicken in the playoffs, and if your lucky enough to get to the big dance and try and play with the Brady bunch.
I pray we discover some true breakout league MVP candidates at WR, and Im sure Dak does to.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

What gambles have bit us?

Theyve worked out way more often than not.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think the original poster's premise is a common one on this forum. It's also one i don't buy into, at least fully. The draft represents opionions on one day. If you could fast forward a month into training camp after teams have worked with the players for a while, and re-do the draft entirely over, you would have a very different set of opinions. Fast forward after a year in the league, you get another different set of opinions.

I wasn't making the point that Top 10 picks never bust, I don't think anyone would claim that or even think that. The point is that most of the elite players in the NFL were top ten picks. If you use hindsight you have players who ended up with that level of talent but weren't taken in the top ten for reasons of injury, risk, etc. Sean Lee is probably one of those players after two Pro Bowls but you would have never taken him that high after the injury with the time he has missed, you might not draft him there knowing what you know now. Dez Bryant is another example of that, he went to three Pro Bowls but was taken 27th overall.

Jaylon and Gregory had huge risks associated with them and it will likely pay off, that is the point of my thread. Austin is a guy that has top ten physical talent, who won't be elite but could be a major contributor this year (especially if he is the primary returner and doesn't fumble).

Kaiser

Reaction score
I pray we discover some true breakout league MVP candidates at WR, and Im sure Dak does to.

I think its really philosophical rather than physical. The game this year will be Dak making the open read to a bunch of solid guys rather than a physical monster like Dez dominating from one position.

Also I think we are going to double the amount of RAC we get from WR, RB and TE this year with the players and scheme we have. Last year we had no speed and no RAC and everyone gameplanned accordingly as the season went on.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. The transition had to take place.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Hey, I miss Lucky!! Honestly, I sorta do. He produced in the roles he was given so I got no hate for da man. Was watching him last night with the Jets & reminiscing.

But, I am hoping that Austin is at the VERY least a significant upgrade. We have added speed across the team now maybe well executed plays will go for big gains rather than small to medium gains.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
its an exciting Time here in Dallas. changes have come. Witten and dez are gone. Jaylon knee seems to be 100% randy is back and Tavon has had his best camp ever. let's hope this all translates on the field.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Young, talented, hungry team... gotta step up at QB, WR, and TE for it to all come together— but there are definitely things to be excited about

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Obviously there is a TBD next to all 3 but if they all hit their potential you’d be on target.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Think some think about the dreaded 4th round picks post Parcells.

Stanback, AOA, and Matt Johnson.
Oh I thought he was referencing more recently. I havent liked our gamble picks at the time, but many jave turned out better than I anticipated.