Addressing Dak’s “Sophmore Slump”

Valorius

Reaction score
Maybe you felt that way but 99.9% of philly fans wanted Foles gone and the posts are on your message boards to prove it and I remember the conversations with my friends then about how he couldn't play (I knew he was good, just like I know Dak is good) and even in December this year after the raiders game you were all ****ting your pants about how Foles was terrible. And oh look, he's good. I guarantee you Dak plays 7-10 more years as a Cowboy.
I never lost faith in Foles when he struggled vs the raiders (for the record it was a blustery, windy day). What surprised me was how good he was vs the Giants the week before. 4 TD and 0 INT after he had no pre-season and no work all season with the regulars was unbelievably impressive.

The week vs the Raiders is more what i expected at first, because it takes time to get chemistry with the starters and to get used to actual game speed. The game vs the Cowboys the Eagles starters played 1 quarter, i didn't put any stock into that game at all.

I think you're crazy if you think Prescott will last 7-10 years in Dallas, but as a non Cowboys fan, i can only say that i hope he does. :)

Valorius

Reaction score
The polarity is pretty ridiculous. It seems like here, most gravitate to the respective poles of "Dak is terrible" and "Dak is awesome". Or it could just be theyre outliers and louder than the rest.

I'm not as down on Dak as some. But, he still has a lot to prove this season. I think he'll bounce back but there's no guarantee of that.
I think if you put prescott behind center for the 1992 cowboys he could win the Superbowl, but so could almost every starter in the NFL right now.

Gameover

Reaction score
Dak after KC

DXWPEpAWAAAAOcr

DXWPK4bWAAAQ-bZ

DXWPPXjWAAAawck

Any/a at mid season. Most important stat for QB. Sixth best at that time. I know even that for a full season wouldn’t be good enough for the clueless.

You don’t get 7.1 by accident

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
I never lost faith in Foles when he struggled vs the raiders (for the record it was a blustery, windy day). What surprised me was how good he was vs the Giants the week before. 4 TD and 0 INT after he had no pre-season and no work all season with the regulars was unbelievably impressive.

The week vs the Raiders is more what i expected at first, because it takes time to get chemistry with the starters and to get used to actual game speed. The game vs the Cowboys the Eagles starters played 1 quarter, i didn't put any stock into that game at all.

I think you're crazy if you think Prescott will last 7-10 years in Dallas, but as a non Cowboys fan, i can only say that i hope he does. :)

So you're gonna tell me you wanted the Eagles to retain Foles in 2014; but believe the Cowboys should move on from Dak... yeah sure buddy. I believe ya! LOL!!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
I know, I know...Patrick Crayton
ahh Patrick Crayton was a disaster that game, but the other game lets see GB 2014 Murray critical fumble, Baily critical chip shot FG Miss, and than THE FN REF no catch call..IMO that was our time our year we were on a roll played a great game and had factor's around romo that lost that game..ts a TEam game and our team has found ways to lose those big games instead of win them..bottom line even the 2016 Game that slow start and failed d on last drive IMO was all coaching and they weren't prepared..clawed back in it an tied it twice to only lose again to AR on the last drive..we are forever jinxed it seems..the only real big game you can say romo pretty much bombed in , worst game of his career IMO was that 8-7 going into last game of the season against Washington , win and you are in.. he thre three of the worst INTS ive ever seen and the no excuse kind..other than that hes peena pretty solid QB in late game comebacks , 4th qtr QBR and his INT for his career are very low compred to TDs..he was franchise QB who the franchise itself let him down..

that's why at this point we need to give dak a break let him grow and hope for the luv of god the team continues to put the right players and system in to give him a shot at being successful

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think if you put prescott behind center for the 1992 cowboys he could win the Superbowl, but so could almost every starter in the NFL right now.
As good as that 92 team was i don't think Dak beats the 49's in San Fran with Young, Troy was a big piece of that 92 team and there is no way you can compare Dak to Troy at this point

visionary

Reaction score
Before Zeke was suspended, these were Dak’s numbers over the first eight games:

Total Yards - 2,013
Total TDS - 20
Interceptions - 4

Project those stats over an entire season:

Total Yards - 4,026
Total TDs - 40
Interceptions - 8

Compare that to his rookie year:

Total Yards - 3,949
Total TDs - 29
Interceptions - 4

So even with some early struggles from the offensive line and a worsening connection with Dez, Dak’s trajectory was pointing way up.

So had Dak & Zeke played the entire season together, we’d be talking about what a monster year Dak just had.

If you take away his best weapon, injure his best offensive lineman [and do nothing to compensate for it] and leave him with receivers who struggle to get open, your QB is bound to struggle.

But since Zeke will be playing a full season next year and the front office is using draft picks to make the offense “Dak friendly”, we have absolutely no reason to believe his trajectory won’t go back to pointing up.

Dak is the man and we’re fortunate to have him.

Agree but a really really good QB does better when those props are taken away because there will be props taken away by one reason or another every year

Also, his mechanics broke down when pressured, he wouldn't climb the pocket , started not setting his feet when throwing passes, stopped climbing the pocket and was constantly throwing dump offs as if he was scared and throwing behind or too high to open receivers

Those are not traits of a great QB

I'm very concerned that he "arrived" too early and does not have anyone in the coaching staff that can slap him upside the head and bring him to earth and teach him what he is lacking

JMO

visionary

Reaction score
As good as that 92 team was i don't think Dak beats the 49's in San Fran with Young, Troy was a big piece of that 92 team and there is no way you can compare Dak to Troy at this point

How people underrate Troy is just beyond me
I guess these guys never watched those games live and just see highlights etc

JDSmith

Reaction score
I know in his rookie season they said that Romo was helping him quite a bit with his plays and reads. I wonder if him being gone effected him at all. His reads were so much better in his rookie year. Passes were better also.

It could also have been Sanchez. People want to bag on him, but he was an experienced QB and he was in Dak's ear every time he went to the sidelines.

Edit: Not having a QB on the roster with real game experience this year was ridiculous and reeks of arrogance from the coaching staff. They made a guy with 17 starts the most experienced QB on the roster by choice, and IMO it cost them. I seriously doubt that Dak would have fallen apart so readily under pressure if he had a veteran QB in his ear when he went to the sidelines to help him figure out what he was missing. Basically they took away his safety net and he looked spooked far too often.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
It could also have been Sanchez. People want to bag on him, but he was an experienced QB and he was in Dak's ear every time he went to the sidelines.

Edit: Not having a QB on the roster with real game experience this year was ridiculous and reeks of arrogance from the coaching staff. They made a guy with 17 starts the most experienced QB on the roster by choice, and IMO it cost them. I seriously doubt that Dak would have fallen apart so readily under pressure if he had a veteran QB in his ear when he went to the sidelines to help him figure out what he was missing. Basically they took away his safety net and he looked spooked far too often.

It was a joke to be honest.

And you’re right. There really is no explanation for it beyond arrogance/stupidity. Especially considering that same coaching staff recently lost an entire season due to QB injury in 2015. And they obviously learned NOTHING from it.

starcity214

Reaction score
It was a joke to be honest.

And you’re right. There really is no explanation for it beyond arrogance/stupidity. Especially considering that same coaching staff recently lost an entire season due to QB injury in 2015. And they obviously learned NOTHING from it.

I thought the reason a veteran QB wasn't brought in was because they were afraid it wouldn't be "Dak's team" if a veteran was around..

I know a certain veteran that wanted to be here but they flat out told him he wasn't welcomed here..

If we had a veteran on the team during last year's TD drought, Dak would probably have been benched because we were still in the hunt at that time..

HungryLion

Reaction score
I thought the reason a veteran QB wasn't brought in was because they were afraid it wouldn't be "Dak's team" if a veteran was around..

I know a certain veteran that wanted to be here but they flat out told him he wasn't welcomed here..

If we had a veteran on the team during last year's TD drought, Dak would probably have been benched because we were still in the hunt at that time..

I don’t really recall what you’re talking about, as far as it being “Dak’s team” or what that even means.

It was dumb for them to not have a quality veteran back up. Dak was only a sophomore QB.

Plus they were one hit away from Kellen Moore starting for crying out loud.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
I don’t really recall what you’re talking about, as far as it being “Dak’s team” or what that even means.

It was dumb for them to not have a quality veteran back up. Dak was only a sophomore QB.

Plus they were one hit away from Kellen Moore starting for crying out loud.
They would have signed someone to start if something happened.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Before Zeke was suspended, these were Dak’s numbers over the first eight games:

Total Yards - 2,013
Total TDS - 20
Interceptions - 4

Project those stats over an entire season:

Total Yards - 4,026
Total TDs - 40
Interceptions - 8

Compare that to his rookie year:

Total Yards - 3,949
Total TDs - 29
Interceptions - 4

So even with some early struggles from the offensive line and a worsening connection with Dez, Dak’s trajectory was pointing way up.

So had Dak & Zeke played the entire season together, we’d be talking about what a monster year Dak just had.

If you take away his best weapon, injure his best offensive lineman [and do nothing to compensate for it] and leave him with receivers who struggle to get open, your QB is bound to struggle.

But since Zeke will be playing a full season next year and the front office is using draft picks to make the offense “Dak friendly”, we have absolutely no reason to believe his trajectory won’t go back to pointing up.

Dak is the man and we’re fortunate to have him.
If you're franchise qb is dependent on a rb to perform you don't have a franchise qb.

Carter

Reaction score
Daks not terrible, especially for a 4th round pick but hes not great either. Its up to him if he can be great in the future. But he has to develop an accurate Long passing game. Otherwise he is figured out too easily and the Running Game will Stall against 8 men fronts.

Dak is a good enough QB but you have to have the weapons around him.