Addressing Dak’s “Sophmore Slump”

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The Vikings are not some geniuses when it comes to the QB position. These are the same folks who traded a first rounder for Sam freaking Bradford recently.

I would never trade a 1st rounder for Bradford either, but you can't argue that it was some sort of mistake.

In his 17 games with them he's been fantastic:

23 TDs/5 INTs
71.8 comp. %
4,259 yards
7.2 YPA
101.1 QB rating

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Just goes to show that you also need a little luck to go with a 8-1 TD to int ratio in the playoffs. For some reason he beat the Patriots a 2 nd time to prove he is capable. But the point is he is pedigree and those the type if QBs that seem to be good and lucky.

Same thing could be said about Aikman.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It’s not just about compiling numbers, it’s about what those numbers did for your football team. After the first 8 games when Dak was on that pace you’re proud of, did it feel imminent that he was leading your 5-3 football team to the super bowl? To the NFCCG? ...to the playoffs? His numbers were inferior in 2016 but he played smarter. He was more clutch. The errant throws weren’t as prevalent.

Lots of guys put up big numbers that don’t go anywhere. And then there are guys that put up just ‘above average’ stats but push their team to the limit and beyond. Before 2007 Brady was throwing 10, 12, 15 INTS a year. Couldn’t break 30 tds. Joe Montana threw 30 once his whole career. With Rice. Threw tons of picks. But they played smart when the team needed a few plays and won games they probably shouldn’t have.

Grats on the statline, maybe he’ll make another pro bowl after his 9-7 /8-8 campaign. He can sit next to Stafford and Dalton on the pro bowl bench and chat about how good their cable provider is for the playoff games.

Play smarter. Stop forcing it to Dez. If backups have to play, lead them, don’t use them as excuses. How many times do you hear “Aaron Rodger’s left guard got injured, he’s probably gonna put up some JAG stats now but it’s not his fault.” “Cam Newton’s down to his third string RB, he’ll probably just go through the motions now and lose by 20.”

Excuses don’t get to you to the next level. Perserverence. That’s why Dak’s rookie season was so magical. He does need a bounce back year, and it has nothing to do with the stats.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Same thing could be said about Aikman.
I probably would have but those teams were so dominant Aikman rarely needed luck. But your right he had the pedigree and was able to rise to the occasion and make the plays while limiting the mistakes.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It’s not just about compiling numbers, it’s about what those numbers did for your football team. After the first 8 games when Dak was on that pace you’re proud of, did it feel imminent that he was leading your 5-3 football team to the super bowl? To the NFCCG? ...to the playoffs? His numbers were inferior in 2016 but he played smarter. He was more clutch. The errant throws weren’t as prevalent.

Lots of guys put up big numbers that don’t go anywhere. And then there are guys that put up just ‘above average’ stats but push their team to the limit and beyond. Before 2007 Brady was throwing 10, 12, 15 INTS a year. Couldn’t break 30 tds. Joe Montana threw 30 once his whole career. With Rice. Threw tons of picks. But they played smart when the team needed a few plays and won games they probably shouldn’t have.

Grats on the statline, maybe he’ll make another pro bowl after his 9-7 /8-8 campaign. He can sit next to Stafford and Dalton on the pro bowl bench and chat about how good their cable provider is for the playoff games.

Play smarter. Stop forcing it to Dez. If backups have to play, lead them, don’t use them as excuses. How many times do you hear “Aaron Rodger’s left guard got injured, he’s probably gonna put up some JAG stats now but it’s not his fault.” “Cam Newton’s down to his third string RB, he’ll probably just go through the motions now and lose by 20.”

Excuses don’t get to you to the next level. Perserverence. That’s why Dak’s rookie season was so magical. He does need a bounce back year, and it has nothing to do with the stats.
Well said! That statement is something stats just dont show.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
I would never trade a 1st rounder for Bradford either, but you can't argue that it was some sort of mistake.

23 TDs/5 INTs
71.8 comp. %
4,259 yards
7.2 YPA
101.1 QB rating

What gets left out of the discussion in the Bradford to Minn. trade is that the Eagles paid his $11 million signing bonus. The Vikings didn't give up a 2017 1st round pick and a 2018 4th pick for Bradford. They gave up those picks for Bradford +$11 million.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I probably would have but those teams were so dominant Aikman rarely needed luck. But your right he had the pedigree and was able to rise to the occasion and make the plays while limiting the mistakes.

I think my point was Aikman had a dominant performance in his first Super Bowl against Buffalo. The second SB vs. Buffalo he was subpar; Emmitt carried the day. His third against the Steelers he was efficient but Neil O'Donnell and Larry Brown were the ones that impacted that game the most.

Aikman's postseason numbers are not spectacular. Alot of Cowboy fans gloss over that because of the end result of us winning championships.

HungryLion

Reaction score

23 TDs/5 INTs
71.8 comp. %
4,259 yards
7.2 YPA
101.1 QB rating

No, it was a big mistake. The knock on Bradford has never been his talent. It’s always been that he can’t stay healthy. He is constantly hurt. That’s the reason he has bounced around to 3 teams now. And what happened in Minnesota? He got hurt again.

Thus far, trading the 1st round pick for him was a big mistake. He missed almost all of last season with a knee injury and nobody knows if he will ever play a significant amount of games again.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I dont think Romo was good enough! Romo had one good playoff run statistically when they beat the Lions and lost to GB. I too also supported Romo for many years and used to say oh if he was with the Giants he could of won a SB. But I dont think he could have looking back because Eli actually raised the level of his play to get through and win a SB. Thats a whole different argument though.
Of course Dak is playing at an NFL level but he isnt a complete QB in the sense of his arm strength hinders his ability to throw down field. Have you ever seen a NFL QB when their mechanics go off a little bit they are as bad as Dak. He was throwing balls 3-5 yards short of his WR on a short passing tree. Usually when a QBs mechanics are off they are missing high or low but not putting balls that far off. Of course he worked on his footwork and it helped him in the short game but how is he going to be able to throw contested throws on 20 yard crossing routes into coverage where his WR has a half a step on the CB. That is very concerning! This season is going to be real interesting because they have another very tough schedule and teams are going to be forcing Dak to beat them with mid to long range passes. Elliott may be just enough to hide his flaws against weak teams but I dont see Daks one dimensional passing game winning in the playoffs.He is going to have to open it up.
Romo was BY FAR a good enough QB to win a SB.
Not even the slightest remote question, in my mind.
For various reasons, it just didnt happen.

As for Eli. He had a nice run one postseason and had a good game or two in another. Good for him.
Other than that, people forget that he was a truly horrible playoff QB in the 4 other, one and done playoff years.

Anyway, here's to hoping Dak continues to develop and we put a good team around him throughout his career.