After consideration, Lance did really well

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeblair

Reaction score
Trey Lance threw  ZERO interceptions in 41 passes, he faced a heavy rush and stood in the pocket and delivered the ball while being hit.
You weren't going to see him look like a 10 year veteran playing in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys were playing a scrimmage against a team they had shared practice with, and they used backups.
But what you did see was a guy who wasn't afraid to get hit, a rifle arm, and a guy who was disciplined enough to realize he couldn't turn the ball over. You saw a guy who scrambled vertically and picked up yardage. You saw a quarterback who kept his cool throughout the game and was mindful of his responsibilities.
There wasn't much to see in a scrimmage game that meant very little. So you focus on the basics. His accuracy was off, but only in his timing with receivers he hasn't yet built a repor with. His instincts were good and his willingness to take a hit to complete the play is something that is sorely needed in the Cowboys quarterback position.
Timing can be acquired; discipline can be taught but takes years.
Instincts cannot.
A quarterback either has them or he doesn't.
I think there is a lot of potential in Trey Lance.
Whether or not he can be "the guy" remains to be seen.
But I saw more discipline under center and more instinctive leadership from a Cowboys quarterback than I saw all of last season.
The kid has potential.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best thing you can say is that he might be our only running threat. What's clear is that he's not ready to start in the NFL. Passing for less than 5 yards a throw isn't going to jump him ahead of cooper rush who is clearly in the driver seat for the back-up at this point. His athletic talent has never been in question. But it takes more than a strong arm and fast feet to play QB in the NFL. I don't see the QB instincts but I do see why the Niners gave up on him.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Trey Lance threw  ZERO interceptions in 41 passes, he faced a heavy rush and stood in the pocket and delivered the ball while being hit.
You weren't going to see him look like a 10 year veteran playing in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys were playing a scrimmage against a team they had shared practice with, and they used backups.
But what you did see was a guy who wasn't afraid to get hit, a rifle arm, and a guy who was disciplined enough to realize he couldn't turn the ball over. You saw a guy who scrambled vertically and picked up yardage. You saw a quarterback who kept his cool throughout the game and was mindful of his responsibilities.
There wasn't much to see in a scrimmage game that meant very little. So you focus on the basics. His accuracy was off, but only in his timing with receivers he hasn't yet built a repor with. His instincts were good and his willingness to take a hit to complete the play is something that is sorely needed in the Cowboys quarterback position.
Instincts cannot.
But I saw more discipline under center and more instinctive leadership from a Cowboys quarterback than I saw all of last season.
The kid has potential.
Lol… I get the frustration about Dak and his playoff record and all that… But some of you guys are really funny with your Trey Lance support.

For the record… It is really ok for somebody to want to move on from Dak, and still be objective about Trey Lance. Just in case some of you guys did not get the memo….

NotForLong

Reaction score
Instincts cannot.
The kid has potential.
Amen

leeblair

Reaction score
The best thing you can say is that he might be our only running threat. What's clear is that he's not ready to start in the NFL. Passing for less than 5 yards a throw isn't going to jump him ahead of cooper rush who is clearly in the driver seat for the back-up at this point. His athletic talent has never been in question. But it takes more than a strong arm and fast feet to play QB in the NFL. I don't see the QB instincts but I do see why the Niners gave up on him.
TO BE CLEAR, the 49'ers didn't give up on Trey Lance until he got hurt.
Kyle Shanahan put him in and made him follow Jimmy Garappolo, who had just led the Niners to a Super Bowl.
The 49'ers let him go after the emergence of Brock Purdy, knowing that they would never use Trey Lance as a starter.
But what Shanahan did to Trey Lance was unfair, albeit that was Shanahan's decision. But putting Lance in for Garappolo was a stupid move by Shanahan.
I think the Niners lost interest in Lance after Purdy, and just wanted something back for him.
But Lance cannot and should not be judged by his rookie season.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Instincts cannot.
The kid has potential.
The time the Cowboys spent practicing with the Rams, The Jags and the timing is something most are not taking into consideration. As far as the discipline and willingness to take a Hit are great as you pointed out.

All things considered I believe you are right and I am positive about His future. He is on the come up. He is ad young or younger then many off the Rookies over the last 2 years

If anything He is an option with the potential to be your future starter. Depending how things go down this year His contract maybe in the mid 20 million to low 30 million range if He plays this year and is successful or high teens to mid 20s if He is showing promise but still learning

It will be an interesting year. Can't wait to see what He does next week

GMO415

Reaction score
Instincts cannot.
The kid has potential.
He looked like a walk on QB against Home Depot guys.

leeblair

Reaction score
btw... it's rapport

rap·port
/raˈpôr/
noun

1. a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well.
    "she was able to establish a good rapport with the children"
Yes, mam, Mrs Donovan (Charlie Brown's teacher).
Lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Instincts cannot.
The kid has potential.
His instincts were terrible. His sacks were all unnecessary. His accuracy was inaccurate. His arm was lively and he has a strong arm but it’s whats above the shoulders where he struggles. “Really well”? Come on man, be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.