After consideration, Lance did really well

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo2

Reaction score
Trey Lance threw  ZERO interceptions in 41 passes, he faced a heavy rush and stood in the pocket and delivered the ball while being hit.
You weren't going to see him look like a 10 year veteran playing in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys were playing a scrimmage against a team they had shared practice with, and they used backups.
But what you did see was a guy who wasn't afraid to get hit, a rifle arm, and a guy who was disciplined enough to realize he couldn't turn the ball over. You saw a guy who scrambled vertically and picked up yardage. You saw a quarterback who kept his cool throughout the game and was mindful of his responsibilities.
There wasn't much to see in a scrimmage game that meant very little. So you focus on the basics. His accuracy was off, but only in his timing with receivers he hasn't yet built a repor with. His instincts were good and his willingness to take a hit to complete the play is something that is sorely needed in the Cowboys quarterback position.
Timing can be acquired; discipline can be taught but takes years.
Instincts cannot.
A quarterback either has them or he doesn't.
I think there is a lot of potential in Trey Lance.
Whether or not he can be "the guy" remains to be seen.
But I saw more discipline under center and more instinctive leadership from a Cowboys quarterback than I saw all of last season.
The kid has potential.
I saw Noah Fant wide open for a touchdown and Stevie Wonder couldn't see him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Trey Lance threw  ZERO interceptions in 41 passes, he faced a heavy rush and stood in the pocket and delivered the ball while being hit.
You weren't going to see him look like a 10 year veteran playing in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys were playing a scrimmage against a team they had shared practice with, and they used backups.
But what you did see was a guy who wasn't afraid to get hit, a rifle arm, and a guy who was disciplined enough to realize he couldn't turn the ball over. You saw a guy who scrambled vertically and picked up yardage. You saw a quarterback who kept his cool throughout the game and was mindful of his responsibilities.
There wasn't much to see in a scrimmage game that meant very little. So you focus on the basics. His accuracy was off, but only in his timing with receivers he hasn't yet built a repor with. His instincts were good and his willingness to take a hit to complete the play is something that is sorely needed in the Cowboys quarterback position.
Instincts cannot.
But I saw more discipline under center and more instinctive leadership from a Cowboys quarterback than I saw all of last season.
The kid has potential.
Ok, Dorothy, we hear you! :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Instincts cannot.
The kid has potential.
You have to be joking correct?

The OLine graded out fairly well. Funny thing, if you can't get the ball out on time, it looks like an amazing pash rush.

No Interceptions. Well when you wait for a WR to be wide open before you throw the ball, throw it out of bounds or on only to 5 yard check downs it is pretty difficult to throw an interception.

Averaging 4.7 yards per pass attempt, which includes yards after the catch is pretty anemic. We might as well just have done a bunch of shuffle passes.

Mindful of his responsibilities? Pretty sure the number one responsibility is to get the ball in the end zone.

Timing Ian off with WR's because he has not built a rapport with them yet? What has he been doing all training camp, just throwing in nets?

5 years later, after starting only 1 year in college, he still has the same potential. He has not grown at all. He is still working on his throwing mechanics and his foot work.

It was an embarrassment at best.

Chasing6

Reaction score
TO BE CLEAR, the 49'ers didn't give up on Trey Lance until he got hurt.
Kyle Shanahan put him in and made him follow Jimmy Garappolo, who had just led the Niners to a Super Bowl.
The 49'ers let him go after the emergence of Brock Purdy, knowing that they would never use Trey Lance as a starter.
But what Shanahan did to Trey Lance was unfair, albeit that was Shanahan's decision. But putting Lance in for Garappolo was a stupid move by Shanahan.
I think the Niners lost interest in Lance after Purdy, and just wanted something back for him.
But Lance cannot and should not be judged by his rookie season.
You go ahead and keep believing that. Keep in mind Purdy's injury was much more severe.

plymkr

Reaction score
The kid has potential.
I’m about as pro Lance as you can get but based on yesterday’s performance it’s going to take a lot of patience and time for him to reach that potential. If he doesn’t improve in the next 2 preseason games then I say cut him and hopefully pick him for the practice squad. We can use his 5 million guaranteed for some defensive line help if anyone is cut. Based on yesterday he’s not ready to be a starter, or even a 2, for a while. I’d keep him as developmental 3rd stringer if he resigns with us for 3rd string money. I bet it would take years for him to get his mechanics down to be a viable starter.

I’d hold onto him for the right price. But after this season if he wants more than a 3rd string salary then let him walk.

I’m not happy to say that because I really wanted him to do good. We’ll see what he does the next 2 games and hopefully he lights it up but I’m not expecting much. If Dak walks after 24 I don’t think our QB is in the roster. My guess is a draft pick of some sorts or a cast off vet like Carr or Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.