After further review a week later, Refs stole game from Cowboys vs Packers once again

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Indeed, any missed call by an official is proof of a league-wide conspiracy.

Thank goodness for your keen insights to educate the rest of us. :muttley:
Do you think that my belief comes from one missed call vs a plethora of evidence? I actually applaud you for your faith and I wish I still had the faith in Goodell and the fact that making billions of dollars is outweighed by keeping up with the purity of the game. Cheers to you!

Blackrain

Reaction score
Do you think that my belief comes from one missed call vs a plethora of evidence? I actually applaud you for your faith and I wish I still had the faith in Goodell and the fact that making billions of dollars is outweighed by keeping up with the purity of the game. Cheers to you!

Great post it certainly wouldn't be the first time that we have seen ultimate profit compromise the integrity of something.

But when everybody's on board it is just a tool used for maximum profits in the entertainment business which is what NFL football is in today's world.

I really don't believe in today's world with the radical changes in everything else that people don't believe there could be any change in the integrity of the NFL over a hundred years.

Or the fact that they are clever enough to do it without the casual fan even noticing

Blackrain

Reaction score
Boiling this all down very basically

Game of the week, Monday night Sunday night and Thursday night games have to be kept competitive to retain the viewing audience.

Beyond that there's a trickle down effect where a team that unexpectedly goes in the tank and has a bunch of primetime games may have to be propped up and other teams bear the brunt of this manipulation.

Packers game is a prime example

All that said we are on a ton of those prime time games and that's why we sometimes are thrown down on the sword and fall prey to the manipulation generated by the referees

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Holding can be called on every play and probably on almost every offensive lineman at some point during the play there is some type of little grab or hold that could be called.

That's why it's the ultimate tool used by the referees to control the game. It's a 10 yd penalty and many times a drive stopper.

They have a team running away with a game before halftime call a couple holding penalties get things under control so people don't turn the television off.

That's said what McGovern supposedly did on that play was not being called as holding all game long but it needed to be holding on that play to control the game.

If holding was not called there some other tic tac penalty would have been called to obtain the desired result.

Because if the Packers went down and had a three and seven record nobody's watching them on Thursday night football against the Titans or Sunday night football against the Eagles.
So Jerry let us fall on the sword for the league.
This is something I believe he has been doing for quite a long time and it has enhanced the value of his team to the point where it is the most profitable in all of sports.

How else could a team that has barely won a playoff game in 27 years become the most profitable.
If all was right with the NFL world the team that was the most successful would be the most profitable.

We have an incredible fan base that loves us and another fan base that hates us which gives us an incredible viewing audience.
Jerry uses this for maximum profit for himself and the league why else would a team that hasn't sniffed even a championship game get every primetime spot every year.

Hey it ain't perfect but it's all we got Carry on
Spot on, BR!

:hammer::hammer:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Great post it certainly wouldn't be the first time that we have seen ultimate profit compromise the integrity of something.

But when everybody's on board it is just a tool used for maximum profits in the entertainment business which is what NFL football is in today's world.

I really don't believe in today's world with the radical changes in everything else that people don't believe there could be any change in the integrity of the NFL over a hundred years.

Or the fact that they are clever enough to do it without the casual fan even noticing

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Boiling this all down very basically

Game of the week, Monday night Sunday night and Thursday night games have to be kept competitive to retain the viewing audience.

Beyond that there's a trickle down effect where a team that unexpectedly goes in the tank and has a bunch of primetime games may have to be propped up and other teams bear the brunt of this manipulation.

Packers game is a prime example

All that said we are on a ton of those prime time games and that's why we sometimes are thrown down on the sword and fall prey to the manipulation generated by the referees
:clap::hammer::hammer:

sandbridge77

Reaction score
There is no conspiracy theory it's all about marketing and not losing revenue.

It's very simple but the head in the sand group that still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny fail to want to believe this.

The league must put out a good product to generate good revenue to do that the game must be competitive They control that with the referees.

They have no choice there's only 17 regular season games it's not 160 game baseball season where you are bringing in revenue everyday for half a year.

The owners are on board with this They know they have to fall on the sword sometimes.

Why do you think a team like ours is the most profitable in the league because Jerry has taken profit over substance and fallen on the sword to enhance the bottom line while giving up the chance to win a Super bowl.[/QUOTE

Just so I’m clear,Jerry, along with the other owners, agrees to go along with the fix, to maximize profits and the owners of the 4 teams that have never sniffed a Super Bowl are happy being being irrelevant as long as the money comes in?

So we have 32 billionaires in the league all content in their role in this game to maximize profits.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Horrible and misleading...

You don't say.

Doesn't matter what side a defender starts, when he tries to change direction you can't "materially restrict" him per the rules. There's a reason you don't quote the rules in any way shape or form. Because you're busy trying shoehorn mansplain a non-call when there was clear as day a hold, by the wording of the rules. Try it sometime instead of lying.

McG-Hold-GIF1.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You don't say.

Doesn't matter what side a defender starts, when he tries to change direction you can't "materially restrict" him per the rules. There's a reason you don't quote the rules in any way shape or form. Because you're busy trying shoehorn mansplain a non-call when there was clear as day a hold, by the wording of the rules. Try it sometime instead of lying.

McG-Hold-GIF1.gif
Go sweet talk your wife or husband, not us here. The Packers DT is clearly holding on to McGovern’s jersey inside all the way through his obvious flop of a fall. Why else didn't he attempt to ever reach his arms out towards the passing RB? McGovern wasn't holding or restricting his arms. Perfect evidence of an intentional flop, but one like you who never played the sport, much less in the trenches, would ever understand. Carry on with your high school band complaining self.

Sydla

Reaction score
Go sweet talk your wife or husband, not us here. The Packers DT is clearly holding on to McGovern’s jersey inside all the way through his obvious flop of a fall. Why else didn't he attempt to ever reach his arms out towards the passing RB? McGovern wasn't holding or restricting his arms. Perfect evidence of an intentional flop, but one like you who never played the sport, much less in the trenches, would ever understand. Carry on with your high school band complaining self.

McGovern literally has a grasp of the guys jersey on his side. It's plain as day on that clip. If an OL grabs the jersey like that and it's a key block on a run play, more often than not, it's getting called a hold.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

An OL can't "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." This is done by McGovern grabbing the jersey when the defender tries to change direction to get to pursue the ball carrier. You see, holding onto the defender as he changes direction is a clear altering of the defender's path or angle of pursuit. So while you may have played, we're talking about the letters and words of the NFL's rules. I, being grad school/PhD level, am much more qualified to explain these arrangements of letters to you as you don't seem to know what they are. But instead of being grateful, you choose the ways of the Cro-Magnon in hurling insults for being called out on your lies. And who's "complaining" here? It's you who started this "Hey, no fair!" thread. I'm just here to correct you. Don't shoot the messenger. Use the opportunity to learn, not lie.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
An OL can't "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." This is done by McGovern grabbing the jersey when the defender tries to change direction to get to pursue the ball carrier. You see, holding onto the defender as he changes direction is a clear altering of the defender's path or angle of pursuit. So while you may have played, we're talking about the letters and words of the NFL's rules. I, being grad school/PhD level, am much more qualified to explain these arrangements of letters to you as you don't seem to know what they are. But instead of being grateful, you choose the ways of the Cro-Magnon in hurling insults for being called out on your lies. And who's "complaining" here? It's you who started this "Hey, no fair!" thread. I'm just here to correct you. Don't shoot the messenger. Use the opportunity to learn, not lie.
Wasted education. That was a flop by the DT. His path was not altered. He was clearly beat. Nobody restricted or held his arms, yet he kept his arms inside while holding McGovern’s jersey to try to toss McGovern around himself which he failed, so he flopped. By the way, you started the insults. I simply threw them back at you. Let's get that clear.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Wasted education. That was a flop by the DT. His path was not altered. He was clearly beat. Nobody restricted or held his arms, yet he kept his arms inside while holding McGovern’s jersey to try to toss McGovern around himself which he failed, so he flopped. By the way, you started the insults. I simply threw them back at you. Let's get that clear.

Learn, ungrateful one. Learn. An OL can't "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." Do you see materially restrict "arms" in that quote? And no one said McGovern restricted his arms. You're adding that to your mansplaining diversion. We all say McGovern clearly held the defender's jersey to restrict his direction change. Would you like to see the better video again and look for that or continue to deny the plain evidence (lying, to the layperson)? Can't say I'm not trying. Lol.

Mc-G-Hold-GIF1.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
Learn, ungrateful one. Learn. An OL can't "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." Do you see materially restrict "arms" in that quote? And no one said McGovern restricted his arms. You're adding that to your mansplaining diversion. We all say McGovern clearly held the defender's jersey to restrict his direction change. Would you like to see the better video again and look for that or continue to deny the plain evidence (lying, to the layperson)? Can't say I'm not trying. Lol.

Mc-G-Hold-GIF1.gif

Notice how the goal posts shift with many in this thread arguing the call was terrible. First it was he never grabbed him. Then it was well he did grab him a bit but let him go before the RB got there. Then it was well maybe he didn't let go before but the DT wasn't hindered or moved by the grab. Then it was, well maybe he was moved but he was flopping to draw a call.

The reality is the play is close enough that calling it a hold isn't nearly as egregious as some think. Honestly, if they hadn't called it a hold and I saw it after, I'd say it was close enough to go either way. But certainly not to the extent where people are saying that hold was the biggest factor in our loss. That's just moronic.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I still remember a 3rd down conversion that Cobb caught in 2014 that lead to a 2nd quarter TD drive....the ball literally bounced off the ground up into his hands....was never even replayed muchless reviewed.
YES! Thank you! I thought I was the only person that saw that replay and say "Dude, that clearly bounced off the ground". It's overshadowed by the Dez "No Catch", but it was just as egregious.

foofighters

Reaction score
While Connor McGovern’s play as a whole has been solid this season, the guard is not far removed from a brutal holding call against the Green Bay Packers in Week 10.

After surrendering a 28-14 lead in the second half, Dallas had the ball in overtime and a chance to still win. Pollard received a handoff and busted through the center of the line for a big gain, but the play was brought back for a holding call on McGovern.

The play stalled the drive, which was followed by Green Bay eventually winning the game 31-28. McGovern is convinced it wasn’t a hold even after watching the play afterward.

“Once I felt the back go past me, I let go. I didn’t grab anything,” McGovern said. “The ref said I tried to restrict him, tried to tackle him. Watching it on the replay, watching it on the iPad, I still don’t see it.”

Clear as day, the officials screwed the Cowboys over the Packers once again.

Sure it was a missed call. However, we have benefited too from time to time. Yes, the ref's screwed the Cowboys but the Cowboys screwed themselves far worse. In the end, we shouldn't put ourselves in that position in the first place.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damn 13 pages and I wasn't even involved... I'm guessing is the old conspiracy vs no nonesense debate, not gonna touch this one, that game is so done, both sides have fair points... to each his own.
There ya go. We're arguing about stuff we're probably all correct about. Are there bad calls due to human error? OF COURSE!

Are there "bad calls" because of some sort of bias or intent to control the game? Basic human nature says , yes of course!

Not much to do about it but either enjoy the game or get lost. Complain? I suppose that is an option. Not very productive. Fighting to be right? Not very productive either. To each their own, indeed.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure it was a missed call. However, we have benefited too from time to time. Yes, the ref's screwed the Cowboys but the Cowboys screwed themselves far worse. In the end, we shouldn't put ourselves in that position in the first place.
That's my take too. Couple bad calls? Sure...of course. Happens.

We....we did NOTHING in the heat of the game, when we MOST needed it.....when champions are made.