After running Romo out of town. This front office deserves this

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo is better than Dak right now.

Not letting him compete for the job was stupid.

This is karma in the most deserved fashion.

Romo was always better than Dak and my position has always been if you are trying to win you play your best players, now to those who say Romo couldn't take a hit anymore, it doesn't matter, if Romo is the better player he should have played until he couldn't, i don't care if that meant one game or 10. The fact Romo had to even ask to compete for his starting job was ridiculous, the fact they wouldn't let him tells you everything you really need to know about what the team thought would happen if they did. The decision to move on from Romo was all about money and his contract, the team mistakenly thought they had someone in Dak they could move forward with (cheaply) and figured now was the time to move on from Romo's deal, they were wrong then and they are going to pay a huge price for that decision for the next few years

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
I think you're conflating a few things. Let hit on them one by one.

Was his body breaking down? Absolutely not.

What repeat injuries did Romo have? His collarbone. Which he rushed back to save the season. This was not a long running injury.

Issue with his back were entirely unrelated.

His rest days were after he was coming back from his back injury and he played an MVP year in the process.

His numbers are HOF caliber, not at all his fault that his defenses were terrible. Very few QBs have had playoff success with terrible defenses.

Good points but I'll respectfully disagree with you on a few points. I will say in 2014 he was brilliant, especially in December and should have been the NFL MVP that year. But his last 3-4 years his injuries were piling up, a lot of games were missed, and his health and back were constantly discussed in the media and in forums. As I said this has nothing to do with his heart or toughness, the guy was a warrior. As far as the HOF, I'm sorry but not even close. Right or wrong, a QB is mostly judged on post season success. If you don't have any you better have crazy numbers (Marino, Moon, etc.) and he's not even close. Again is this fair? Not really, Warren Moon played in the run and shoot and had very little playoff success, but he played in the league for a million years, not even including the years he missed playing in the CFL. I like Tony Romo a lot. He gave us a lot of thrills and basically put this franchise on his back for years, but I'm sorry he is not a HOF, ROH yes, HOF no. Again you make a lot of really good points, we will just agree to disagree.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Romo was always better than Dak and my position has always been if you are trying to win you play your best players, now to those who say Romo couldn't take a hit anymore, it doesn't matter, if Romo is the better player he should have played until he couldn't, i don't care if that meant one game or 10. The fact Romo had to even ask to compete for his starting job was ridiculous, the fact they wouldn't let him tells you everything you really need to know about what the team thought would happen if they did. The decision to move on from Romo was all about money and his contract, the team mistakenly thought they had someone in Dak they could move forward with (cheaply) and figured now was the time to move on from Romo's deal, they were wrong then and they are going to pay a huge price for that decision for the next few years
Logical. I never bought the "hot hand" rationale. Romo was top of the league in QBR and passer rating in 2014 (beating Rodgers into second), with a league-leading 8.5 yds/attempt. I don't know who was responsible for not letting Romo back in, but whoever or whomever it was...he or she or they, now have their glutes on the chopping block. Bryant was the final straw...along with moving Collins out to right tackle. Too many questionable decisions that have back-fired. This won't change until fans decide that watching 8-8 seasons just ain't cutting it anymore. I said about six years ago that either Romo or Garrett would not be on this team when it next hoisted the Lombardi...sadly, it may be that they BOTH won't be on this team if it ever happens.

jay94

Reaction score
And even though I'm off the Dak train it was still the right decision to start him over Romo in 2016.

Don't agree Romo wasn't a scrub, he carried this team on his back for many years, made no namers household names. He was a franchise qb. Our talent level was just vastly overstated on a yearly basis.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Tony Romo could fill auditoriums to discuss The Art of Throwing.
Dak Prescott can't even remember to set his feet and throw a pass.
This is essentially the basis to why so many miss Romo. He worked
on his craft. Prescott has worse mechanics than your local high school QB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was one hit away from permanent physical damage IMO. I would have hated to see that.
1. You do not know that is true. You think it is true. You are not alone in your belief.
2. This is football. All players who step on a football field, whether it is on game day or during practice, are ‘one hit away from permanent physical damage’.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Don't agree Romo wasn't a scrub, he carried this team on his back for many years, made no namers household names. He was a franchise qb. Our talent level was just vastly overstated on a yearly basis.
Has nothing to do with the fact he couldn't stay healthy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How are injury arguments illogical?

Dak along with Zeke won several games in a row up to that point and ended up winning 11 in a row that season. You don't disrupt that period. Romo was knocked out of the game the last 3 games he was in. He got knocked out against the Eagles, came back against Carolina, got knocked back out that very same game he came back... then during preseason against the Seahawks, he got knocked out of the game again after a couple of snaps. That's THREE times in a row where he got knocked out of a game without managing to complete a full game. You don't risk disrupting that sort of chemistry in the middle of a season.

How have we treated Romo badly? He has never had to compete for his job throughout his nearly decade long tenure here. They stocked his cupboard full of offensive weapons despite all this nonsense we hear about him carrying the team. He simply got injured too many times and they found a qb who was playing excellently at the time.
Actual Super Bowl contending opportunities are usually fleeting in the NFL. In my opinion, Dallas had a contending team in 2016 just as it did in 2014.

All the championship winners and runner-ups, throughout the half century of Super Bowls and nearly entire century of the league, have been led by veteran quarterbacks. Not one single rookie quarterback ever accomplished the feat. However, in 2016, Dallas would ‘prove’ to be the exception.

How?

The answer is chemistry. The proven fact in the sport of football is the single most important player on a team’s roster cannot be replaced because doing so guarantees the team will lose.

Of course, that supposed fact is false. The euphoric counter argument in 2016, primarily argued within cowboyszone, and totally supported equally by Jones and Garrett, was that Romo, the veteran quarterback, would:

• automatically help lose regular season games, causing the team to miss the playoffs, despite history establishing he led the team to previous playoff berths.
  • automatically end any playoff run, despite history showing he led the team to both playoff losses and victories.
  • automatically, spontaneously and permanently disrupt the half season long offense’s successful execution after re-entering the starting rotation and sequentially re-exiting after sustaining another game or season ending injury, despite the history of football, throughout many decades involving multitudes of professional, college and high school teams, not always suffering such catastrophe but actually excelling from such an event.
Despite these facts, Romo critics, a distinction obviously including Jones and Garrett, were so tentative and/or regretted Romo’s re-insertion as starter, while (virtually) overwhelmed emotionally by the wins the team was stacking up without Romo that they

forgot

or

disregarded

...the fact no NFL team has done what they pinned all their hopes and dreams upon a Prescott-led team would eventually accomplish. Certainly, there is always a first time of a different result happening in every imaginable situation despite the transparently apparent opposing odds that should have smacked everyone watching 2016 unfolded squarely in the face. Romo scared so many people, including the only people that mattered, Jones and Garrett, that poorly weak rationalized justifications of injury and skewed singular past performance carried not only that year but into the present. C’est la vie.

sigh.

/rant

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
How are injury arguments illogical?

Dak along with Zeke won several games in a row up to that point and ended up winning 11 in a row that season. You don't disrupt that period. Romo was knocked out of the game the last 3 games he was in. He got knocked out against the Eagles, came back against Carolina, got knocked back out that very same game he came back... then during preseason against the Seahawks, he got knocked out of the game again after a couple of snaps. That's THREE times in a row where he got knocked out of a game without managing to complete a full game. You don't risk disrupting that sort of chemistry in the middle of a season.

How have we treated Romo badly? He has never had to compete for his job throughout his nearly decade long tenure here. They stocked his cupboard full of offensive weapons despite all this nonsense we hear about him carrying the team. He simply got injured too many times and they found a qb who was playing excellently at the time.

He actually came back the week before the Carolina game against Miami and won that game in Miami, he then got knocked out on Thanksgiving against Carolina, get your facts straight bud

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Romo offered his services: $65 million/2 years. at 4:20 in the video.

KingRah

Reaction score
Romo is better than Dak right now.

Not letting him compete for the job was stupid.

This is karma in the most deserved fashion.
True. Romo read defenses fast. I miss having him pre snap more than anything. He had his struggles but got better. He continued to get better. We were a great road team with romo. He won I think his last 3 or 4 games against the giants too. Romo with these receivers would be at least a top 12 passing attack and dez would be here.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He actually came back the week before the Carolina game against Miami and won that game in Miami, he then got knocked out on Thanksgiving against Carolina, get your facts straight bud
Like that makes much difference. The guy could not stay on the field.

kramskoi

Reaction score
1. You do not know that is true. You think it is true. You are not alone in your belief.
2. This is football. All players who step on a football field, whether it is on game day or during practice, are ‘one hit away from permanent physical damage’.
Never...EVER underestimate the ability of the human brain to rationalize...under even the most dubious of situations.