After watching Aaron Donald we could really use something similar

Hadenough

Reaction score
Does anybody other than me get the feeling that we could really use something similar to that in the middle of our defensive line.
Is there a reason why we can't use a high draft pick on a player that can impact the game like that. He isn't even a real big guy 6-1. 284. This guy has a motor that just won't stop

I don't even think Jerry's horrible culture could stop this guy's motor

Thoughts???
Dallas will never have an Aaron Donald. Jerry wont draft a DT in the first round.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If he was as talented a defensive tackle as Micah is a linebacker I wouldn't have had a problem with it at all.

Because in my mind the interior of the defense of line is what should be built first.

Micah is a great player but he is in his youth right now and because we don't have anyone elite in the center of our defense he will take more of a beating at linebacker trying to stop people consistently getting to the second level.

nah, you dont get off that easy. Sure, If i could get warren Sapp, then yea, I would have drafted him over Micah. BUT, who in LAST years draft was as good as Donald or Sapp???????
Thats like saying, well, id we could have drafted someone as good as Reggie White, Id preferred to have had a lineman.....lol, ya thnk?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I agree with they need just one. But look how long it took for them to get lucky finding Parsons.
so did the rams get lucky finding Cooper Kupp? He was a 3rd rounder... so they obviously knew he was going to be this good, right?

khiladi

Reaction score
so did the rams get lucky finding Cooper Kupp? He was a 3rd rounder... so they obviously knew he was going to be this good, right?

I just looked at a couple of his draft prospect profiles and he was basically considered pretty good. I mean you don’t lead the nation in catching, including performing well against elite competition, while sucking.

The biggest criticism was ‘speed’, meaning would it translate to being able to run outside route running. But he had all the qualities that you would want in a WR.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep it took a while to find a quality player like Parsons but in my opinion one of the big keys to finding him was we used a first round pick.

That's the problem in this situation I believe we never use a first-round pick on a defensive tackle.

We are always counting on finding something that needs some development in a later round and for some reason we don't do a good job developing that position
And when we take DT's in the mid/later rounds, we've been aiming at the wrong traits. Jerry and staff have had this idea for years that DT's need to be tall antelopes. We pretty much ignore shorter prospects. They didn't appear to even begin to comprehend leverage and burst, though the last couple of years that may have changed.

There are guys in the mid to later rounds, but they are extremely hard to find. So, we mostly don't even try.

This appears to be changing w/ Malik Collins, Galley, and Osa.

kskboys

Reaction score
Very lucky. However, he was known as a smart player and good route runner. He was listed as 2nd round talent from what I see.

kskboys

Reaction score
I just looked at a couple of his draft prospect profiles and he was basically considered pretty good. I mean you don’t lead the nation in catching, including performing well against elite competition, while sucking.

The biggest criticism was ‘speed’, meaning would it translate to being able to run outside route running. But he had all the qualities that you would want in a WR.
He slid because he's not a burner and way too many teams overrate speed.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

you miss the point... somehow the Cowboys are all luck in getting Micah, but the Rams, drafting a top 3 wr in rd 3... no luck at all. He had a very high draft stock..... yea, sure thing.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Very lucky. However, he was known as a smart player and good route runner. He was listed as 2nd round talent from what I see.

I was tearing apart the claim that the Cowboys are just lucky when they have draft picks hit. But all the rest of the NFL, they simply have outstanding talent evaluators when they have a draft pick hit.

The entire draft is luck. Pick a random team out of a hat... ANY TEAM, look back at their last 10 years worth of drafts and look at the top 4 picks in the draft. Thats 40 players, then label each player as a good pick, great pick or bust. My guess is the vast majority of teams are all in the same ball park.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was tearing apart the claim that the Cowboys are just lucky when they have draft picks hit. But all the rest of the NFL, they simply have outstanding talent evaluators when they have a draft pick hit.

The entire draft is luck. Pick a random team out of a hat... ANY TEAM, look back at their last 10 years worth of drafts and look at the top 4 picks in the draft. Thats 40 players, then label each player as a good pick, great pick or bust. My guess is the vast majority of teams are all in the same ball park.
It's not just luck. It's more like making educated decisions. You take the players skillset and try to project how they will transfer to the NFL. There is absolutely no 100% way, of course, but you can draft players w/ the right skillset.

Blackrain

Reaction score
And when we take DT's in the mid/later rounds, we've been aiming at the wrong traits. Jerry and staff have had this idea for years that DT's need to be tall antelopes. We pretty much ignore shorter prospects. They didn't appear to even begin to comprehend leverage and burst, though the last couple of years that may have changed.

There are guys in the mid to later rounds, but they are extremely hard to find. So, we mostly don't even try.

This appears to be changing w/ Malik Collins, Galley, and Osa.

I agree some of the longer legged guys just dont have the leverage over shorter stocky players. On occasion there are guys that are a bit taller but can play with good leverage because they are short waisted but in general 6-2 to 6-4 IMO .
Not sure maybe their thoughts were taller guys to bat down passes but I would have a DE for that like we had with Ed Jones

Blackrain

Reaction score
nah, you dont get off that easy. Sure, If i could get warren Sapp, then yea, I would have drafted him over Micah. BUT, who in LAST years draft was as good as Donald or Sapp???????
Thats like saying, well, id we could have drafted someone as good as Reggie White, Id preferred to have had a lineman.....lol, ya thnk?

You are not getting off that easy either Micah has had one great year . but one rose dont make summer . We had a couple other LBs that looked pretty good for a short time . Its a bit premature to compare Micah to Sapp Donald or Reggie White who put a lot of good years in to cement their legacy not just one

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It's not just luck. It's more like making educated decisions. You take the players skillset and try to project how they will transfer to the NFL. There is absolutely no 100% way, of course, but you can draft players w/ the right skillset.

its absolutely luck. Keep in mind, Im not suggesting you just place 100 players names in a hat and pull names. Of course EVERY TEAM evaluates players and then makes a board and drafts accordingly. Im saying AFTER doing all of that preparation, it is LUCK.

I always point back to Payton Manning's draft year. Manning was a huge success, Leif was a HUGE bust. Those players were split by the "Experts," on who to draft.
If it was all skill, Micah would have likely been the 2nd player drafted last year. Lawrence was the 1st pick. We need 2-3 more years to be able to say if that pick was great or horrible, BUT, every "Expert," pretty much pegged Lawrence a a sure thing.

Ozone22

Reaction score
Does any team know how good a player will turn out to be? Ryan Leaf comes to mind when all the pro football experts claimed he was a sure thing. Some even said he would be a better QB than Peyton Manning.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Does any team know how good a player will turn out to be? Ryan Leaf comes to mind when all the pro football experts claimed he was a sure thing. Some even said he would be a better QB than Peyton Manning.

That was my point. All the evaluators make educated reports.... but ultimately, nobody knows what a player is gonna do when they show up with the big boys. Its all a crap shoot.

Blackrain

Reaction score
After watching last night's game could it be made any clearer that we need a stud defensive tackle to anchor our line.

Aaron Donald single-handedly took control of the end of that game and sealed it for them.

It's not just talent he has a will to win that that nobody on our team can equal.

If we could use a first round pick and get somebody with half the will and talent he has we would be way ahead of where we are now

terra

Reaction score
After watching last night's game could it be made any clearer that we need a stud defensive tackle to anchor our line.

Aaron Donald single-handedly took control of the end of that game and sealed it for them.

It's not just talent he has a will to win that that nobody on our team can equal.

If we could use a first round pick and get somebody with half the will and talent he has we would be way ahead of where we are now
Well he was assisted in that by a truly lousy Bengal O line that let Burrows get worked.